High Oil Consumption

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Ok soooo what if there’s not oil everywhere and your car is still a quart low every 600 miles? Asking for a friend :)

Established Member
possible for sure, and Ford should have a metric for this. Are these 600 track miles, daily miles, or church miles and over what time period?

Given my sample size of two and the others I've known, as well as characteristics of the known issues, I am a skeptic about how wide spread a problem, if it exists, burning oil is.

What's obvious is there are oil issues ;-)

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
possible for sure, and Ford should have a metric for this. Are these 600 track miles, daily miles, or church miles and over what time period?

Given my sample size of two and the others I've known, as well as characteristics of the known issues, I am a skeptic about how wide spread a problem, if it exists, burning oil is.

What's obvious is there are oil issues ;-)
Unfortunately my car has never seen a track, i do admit to keeping her high in the rpms because that’s what she likes. My “commute” is a lot of open and curvy country roads, it works well with this car, i never thought i’d drive it as much as i do. Either way, i’m at 600 miles a quart and a little anxious

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Unfortunately my car has never seen a track, i do admit to keeping her high in the rpms because that’s what she likes. My “commute” is a lot of open and curvy country roads, it works well with this car, i never thought i’d drive it as much as i do. Either way, i’m at 600 miles a quart and a little anxious

Have you taken it to the dealer to get it checked out? I think earlier I read that a notification went out to owners about an additional supplement around oil consumption. Can't recall how much "normal" consumption was stated. To me yours sounds excessive. I mentioned earlier in this thread (I think) that my 12 Boss 302 was consuming a similar amount as your GT350 and Ford replaced the entire long block. Afterwards.....no more heavy oil consumption.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Have you taken it to the dealer to get it checked out? I think earlier I read that a notification went out to owners about an additional supplement around oil consumption. Can't recall how much "normal" consumption was stated. To me yours sounds excessive. I mentioned earlier in this thread (I think) that my 12 Boss 302 was consuming a similar amount as your GT350 and Ford replaced the entire long block. Afterwards.....no more heavy oil consumption.

I have not, for two reasons...1) they state you may need a quart every 500 miles in the owners manual. 2) dealer was completely unable to put my splitter on, twice. I cannot imagine them attempting an engine replacement lol.

Salesman(a buddy) said if he were me he'd take it somewhere that deals more with the high performance stuff, which I will do if it gets worse(I don't live close to one though). I just hate it because the car runs really really good, and I don't want it down half the summer for a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Race Red Boss

Established Member
I have not, for two reasons...1) they state you may need a quart every 500 miles in the owners manual. 2) dealer was completely unable to put my splitter on, twice. I cannot imagine them attempting an engine replacement lol.

Salesman(a buddy) said if he were me he'd take it somewhere that deals more with the high performance stuff, which I will do if it gets worse(I don't live close to one though). I just hate it because the car runs really really good, and I don't want it down half the summer for a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suggest you find another dealer to connect with and at least ask that the consumption issue get documented....in case it gets worse so it can be covered under the drive train warranty. Doubt your consumption problem will get better on its own. Seems ludicrous to me that the car is considered within spec at that rate of consumption. A consequence of the design (flat plane crank)? But.....it doesn't seem like a lot of owners are having this issue (outside of leaking oil filter and/or oil hose connections), so how can that be?

Another thought: purchase an oil catch can to help alleviate some of that oil getting into your intake. Doubt it's where most of the oil is being consumed, but will help keep your intake a little less oily and having oil burned during combustion.

BTW, I too was concerned about getting the motor replaced on my Boss, but it went very well with no side affects/problems afterwards.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Suggest you find another dealer to connect with and at least ask that the consumption issue get documented....in case it gets worse so it can be covered under the drive train warranty. Doubt your consumption problem will get better on its own. Seems ludicrous to me that the car is considered within spec at that rate of consumption. A consequence of the design (flat plane crank)? But.....it doesn't seem like a lot of owners are having this issue (outside of leaking oil filter and/or oil hose connections), so how can that be?

Another thought: purchase an oil catch can to help alleviate some of that oil getting into your intake. Doubt it's where most of the oil is being consumed, but will help keep your intake a little less oily and having oil burned during combustion.

BTW, I too was concerned about getting the motor replaced on my Boss, but it went very well with no side affects/problems afterwards.
I’ve had a catch can for awhile, it fills up way faster than my 16 coyote...

I found what i hope to be a better dealer, performance oriented anyway, 1.5hrs away. I will likely talk to them when i know its 500 miles/quart or less, since i know if it’s over that i will be told its normal.

It is not uncommon to see a motor a week go in the facebook group. And it seems Ford won’t say why, but the long block does get replaced. Folks like to say its only complainers that are online writing about it, but there have been many who were active forum/Facebook folk who had the consumption issue. I spend too much time reading and i think it’s more common than its given credit for. I still love the car, but this is just a quirk about it.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Just to give some info here... I was at Cars and Coffee two weeks ago and I spoke to 3 GT350 owners there... all three admitted to “about” one quart every thousand miles in daily driving conditions.

Established Member
that's 100% of your sample size, impactful.

My reference data:

- how many GT350 owners on our forum and how many threads talked about issues over the last 3 years here.

- Also interesting how it's been reported on facebook forum that there is one engine failure per week, yet no history of such on this web site. Should be about 50 cars a year.

- Both my GT350s, always kept topped, consumed maybe a quart total, essentially no oil, over the 8000 miles I put on them and I had a leak issue and pounded all the miles to/from/at TWS and COTA... I just saw the wet spot and worked the issue.

I'm thankful until now I've not heard of such and hope my experience is the norm, but, if we have a issue, hopefully we can get first hand debug data from those affected so we can resolve it quickly.

Last edited:

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
This site is wayyyy slower, traffic wise, for the 350 than facebook or the other forum. I don’t have a reason to lie about it. I also cannot explain it, but it’s happening more often than you think. Heck, mine may drink a quart every 600 miles for the rest of its life(hopefully a long one), but it wasn’t early on in its life and is just a small concern for me now as the dealer couldn’t even put a splitter on...twice. Having a motor replaced by them would make me a nervous wreck lol

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
that's 100% of your sample size, impactful.

My reference data:

- how many GT350 owners on our forum and how many threads talked about issues over the last 3 years here.

- Also interesting how it's been reported on facebook forum that there is one engine failure per week, yet no history of such on this web site. Should be about 50 cars a year.

- Both my GT350s, always kept topped, consumed maybe a quart total, essentially no oil, over the 8000 miles I put on them and I had a leak issue and pounded all the miles to/from/at TWS and COTA... I just saw the wet spot and worked the issue.

I'm thankful until now I've not heard of such and hope my experience is the norm, but, if we have a issue, hopefully we can get first hand debug data from those affected so we can resolve it quickly.
I get three isn’t very telling, there were probably at least 10-12 GT350s there... those three were all I talked with. All three were weekend fun cars for their owners. None were tracked, at least not that they said. I also felt like when we were all discussing the issue we were standing together in a group... it seemed not until one in the group admitted he was having to add oil every 1k Miles that the other guys said, “me too”.... so it might be one of those things owners don’t want to discuss as the obvious negative connotation oil consumption has.
I got to admit that every time I see one in the right color, I’m tempted to sell my Boss and get one.....

Osiris

Established Member
Curious to know if they are adding oil when they are supposed to, or just adding it when they think it looks low (between the dots, which is 1 quart).

BTW...Just checked mine...I'm a couple hundred miles from my last change, oil level is right at the same spot...

Established Member
Curious to know if they are adding oil when they are supposed to, or just adding it when they think it looks low (between the dots, which is 1 quart).

BTW...Just checked mine...I'm a couple hundred miles from my last change, oil level is right at the same spot...

In my case, I like to have it at the top dot when on the track and usually after a oil change it would be somewhere between the dots, so my "usage" was when I would top off on track days to pound it, and once set I don't think the level moved. Monitored with a Hawkeye.

dhoening

Established Member
Mine doesn’t seem to use any at all. It always shows as full on the dipstick. Car has over 3K miles, nearly all of that on the track or to & from a track.
My experience is that those who use the engine for braking use more oil than the rest. Never do that: Use the brakes for slowing, engine for going.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Mine was down a qt at 322 miles but it also had a fresh oil change and I'm not sure if there was enough oil put in it.

I have checked it twice more in the last 700-800 miles and it's exactly where it was after I added oil.

I'll check it again later today at the hanger.

Red dragon

Established Member
My car might be one of those extreme cases. She loves oil... I bought it used with 9,000 miles. In a few weeks I've put 2,000 on it and put 5 quarts in her. Thank God for this thread. I told my salesman, and gonna start to monitor it with them. I dont know if it's because the way I drive or not, but either way, it seems like alot of oil consumed.

Established Member
There are only two places the oil can go, burn or leak, and at a certain level each is obvious and using 5 qts/2000 miles (400 miles a quart), either there are some puddles somewhere or your blowing blue smoke and leaving a residue on the exhaust pipes. Should be a easy case to diagnose, please keep us informed.

Are you adding 3/4 quart every time you add gas??

Last edited:

Osiris

Established Member
In the 600 or so miles since my last oil change, I added about 6/10ths of a QT. I autocrossed today, which means the motor was spinning up past 6k for a good amount of time for about 50 seconds each time in a total of 8 runs.

I'll check the level and the level in the CC tomorrow and report back...Current mileage on the car is 10,400.

Users who are viewing this thread