Hilton Boost Overlay vs LFP. FINALLY a little justice!!!

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Well as most of you know I've been trying to stop the unauthorized use of my original Boost Overlay photos and directions which were copied by LFP and used without my permission for over a year now.
Do you remember the "I've been ripped off. Don't let this happen to you!" thread that attracted over 20,000 views a while back? If you are new to this board or didn't catch it, here was my beef with LFP in a nutshell.

I am the originator of the Hilton Boost Overlay. A clear self-adhesive vinyl overlay that installs over the stock boost gauge on Terminators and Gen 2 Lightnings. When installed and calibrated per the detailed instructions, the overlay allows accurate measurement of up to 23 pounds of boost depending on the style of overlay chosen.

The Boost Overlay was born, developed and produced with help from many suggestions and comments from members on this very board. It quickly became so popular from word of mouth here at SVTP that I built a website to handle the orders. The very generous Travis who owns SVTP was nice enough to allow me to promote The Boost Overlay even before I became an official vendor.

Soon after it's introduction on SVTP the Boost Overlay gained national recognition and articles were published in three major automotive publications. From there things started to take off. I was approached by several vendors who wanted to carry my product. We worked out an agreement that was mutually acceptable for both parties involved. The most recent of which is Lethal Performance. Jared and company are a great bunch of guys over there by the way.

OK, flash forward a few years. The "folks" (I'm being very kind and restrained with that adjective believe me) over at LFP decided that if they couldn't purchase my Boost Overlays from me for next to nothing and make a huge profit off me that they would copy pictures from my web site and my instructions without my permission and bootleg their own boost overlay.

When this was brought to my attention I got on their web site and actually ordered one from them to see what they were up to. Sure enough, they had taken pictures from my web site Hilton Boost Overlay of my own Hilton Boost Overlays to sell their bootlegged product.

But the real kick in the nuts came a few days later when their product arrived. It was a cheap, inferior copy that didn't even match the original fonts (type styles) used in the original gauges.

I posted a thread about this right away on SVTP, complete with a side-by-side comparison and an explanation of what had occurred so everyone could see the BS they were trying to pull. Not long after, Travis asked LFP to not be a vendor here anymore.

I have emailed, phoned, written and sent registered cease and desist letters to LFP and nothing has done any good. I hold a copyright on the pictures too. Registered with the Federal Copyright Office. I've spoken with a number of attorneys who have told me for 5 to 10 thousand dollars they would take on the case. I simply don't have the expendable means to go after the bottom feeders at LFP and force them to stop doing something they should have never done in the first place. Unfortunately they continue to thumb their noses at me and are still selling their inferior product to an unsuspecting public who see my product's picture on their website but end up getting a POS bootleg overlay from them.

OK, I tried to keep this short but thought you should have some history as to what has been going on. Here's the "little justice" part.

A couple weeks ago a member on this board (ripnesscobra) told me that LFP was up to their old tricks again and were selling boost overlays on ebay with (you guessed it) my pictures from my website. I contacted ebay, produced documentation that I hold the copyrights to the photos and shortly after that the listings and the pictures were pulled. Wow, I wish everything was that easy!

Anyway, just wanted to update everyone who has been following this huge PITA and let you all know that I have indeed gotten at least a little justice for my efforts.

Thanks again to Travis and all the great members on SVTP (sorry this post was so long Jimmy) for their business and support over the years!

Ray H.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
That's AWESOME RAY, we know LFP has done this BS before with other products they sold..Do you want a quality product or Faked garbage one? Did you ever receive any compensation for them using your photos without permission?

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Not a dime!
Any attorneys out there willing to take on this case on consignment? If so please let me know. I'm told it's worth 150K per unauthorized use and there are 2 or 3 that I know of.

Thanks for the support Brutal Metal. I appreciate it very much!

Ray H.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Thats great to here Ray. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to have another company basically steal your ideas and produce there own, let alone use your pictures and instructions, it makes me sick.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Thats great to here Ray. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to have another company basically steal your ideas and produce there own, let alone use your pictures and instructions, it makes me sick.
You forgot to mention with inferior stuff, basically a knock off, the dials look like crap..

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
I haven't followed it much but I remember the thread and such.

Based of what I just read in this thread, I assure you I will NOT do business with them. Regardless of eBay their site, any used parts or anything branded LFP.

I may not be a huge impact to their pocket book but I refuse to support that type of business practices.

Jpjr

Established Member
I applaud your persistence. I'm surprised LFP has not stopped using the pics, makes me think this has gotten personal since they could very easily take their own.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
I am glad you got some justice Ray. I've make a decision a long time ago not to buy anything from LFP. I think after you posted the original thread most people on this board are aware of there shady business practices and won't buy from them either. Also I will be contacting you soon for a boost overlay.

Ironhand

Banned
I got your back Ray and will never do any business with them. If I see a thread with "their" name in it I will make sure the OP knows who "they" are..

Between Lethal P and Tousley Ford I dont need any other vender..:beer:

ripnesscobra

Established Member
Ray,

That is great news. I am very glad to hear that you were able to stop LFP from exploiting your pictures and selling their inferior product on eBay.

mrose75

Established Member
Good for you Ray. The other crime being committed is that the Boost Overlay I ordered in May of last year is still in the envelope in the drawer. I need to install that thing. And screw LPF, for the record!

Last edited by a moderator:

waggs

icy.i see.eye sea.icee.
Established Member
i watched flash of genius last night and it reminded me of this. ford used a guys design for the intermittent wiper and didn't give him credit for it so the guy represented himself in court and won. i dunno if that's something you'd wanna do but it's a thought. good luck with everything:beer:

beeradd

Established Member
Good for you Ray. The other crime being committed is that the Boost Overlay I ordered in May of last year is still in the envelope in the drawer. I need to install that thing. And screw LPF, for the record!

lol, mine is still staring at me here on my desk. Been months now...
To bad I did not read this earlier, just ordered my 3/8 spacers from not to far back. That will be the last product I order though, can't support shady business!

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Good to see you got a little justice man. Complete bullshit that LFP pulls, if my car didnt come with their H/E when I bought it for sure wouldnt be on my car!

Tornbtwentwo

Established Member
Hey Ray that sucks that there is companys out there that would do this.

But hey this thread reminded me i needed to order mine so i just did.
Thanks in advance Dan

Users who are viewing this thread