Home Porting an M122, Advice Needed!

YouGoGlenCocoa

Established Member
Hoping anyone could chime in with any advice you may have on home porting my M122

I purchased a burr from cylinder head abrasives advised by Posi for aluminum

I'm using a 25,000rpm harbor freight electric die grinder unfortunately. I feel that it's very powerful, so powerful it's made me really inaccurate with my cut. And at times it's been really scary, jerky. I feel like i could definitely get hurt by it so ive made sure to wear all of the propper PPE when handling it.

Can you offer advice on how to keep this thing under control? I can afford to screw up the elbow, but the blower... not so much lol.

do the terms "Up mill, and climbing mill" apply here? Should i only be cutting in one direction and not back and forth?

I'm currently done with the Elbow and need to match it to the Blower inlet. I'm happy with how it's turned out.

Any help is greatly appreciate, thank you for your time.

CV355

_
Established Member
The best advice I have is to anchor the hand that is doing the polishing for better control. Clamp the detail down that you're working on, place your left arm and hand down, then place your right hand over your left wrist. This gives you way more control (you may already be doing this).

Wrist and finger motion, not arm.
Small motions = small cuts = small errors

You mentioned you're using a burr. Have you considered flap wheels? I find them way more controllable than trying to turn your arm into a mill, and you can get them in progressive grit values to get close to a polish :)

Users who are viewing this thread