Homemade case spreader and holding fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper82489

Established Member
Nice. Here's the spreader I made, I just used the two big holes in the case instead of making the plates. and you can kinda see the stand I made too.

IMG00012-20090312-1718.jpg

IMG00010-20090312-1718.jpg

IMG00008-20090312-1717.jpg

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
Hey guys, sorry for the thread revial, but would any of you still happen to have the pictures that aren't showing up in this thread anymore?

Thanks!

10sec89

Established Member
Just got done changing out bearings on mine and made a jig to hold the rear just like the OP. Worked perfectly.
376239_10152479503750177_1734219389_n.jpg

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
What is the purpose for spreading the case?

I have changed gears/bearings before and didn't spread the case. My gears are within tolerance and had no issues. :shrug:

THunterW

SGTSVT & SVTSGT
Established Member
^ yeah I have the same question? I'm in the middle of replacing my gears and all bearings and seals and new clutch packs, my differential came out of the pumpkin easily. Will I have to use one of these spreaders to reinstall it? I know the Ford IRS rebuild manual says to use one but wasn't sure how critical it is?

dan04gt

Behind Enemy Lines
Established Member
^ yeah I have the same question? I'm in the middle of replacing my gears and all bearings and seals and new clutch packs, my differential came out of the pumpkin easily. Will I have to use one of these spreaders to reinstall it? I know the Ford IRS rebuild manual says to use one but wasn't sure how critical it is?

Because Aluminum is a soft metal, forcing the carrier in with pre load can
damage the case.
Basically your trying to wedge steel that is bigger into aluminum, and that doesn't end well.

YOU MUST USE A CASE SPREADER.

Last edited:

THunterW

SGTSVT & SVTSGT
Established Member
So I just finished the pinion preload in my case and attempted to install the carrier without spreading, and damn I couldn't get it in. Looks like I will have to use a spreader like you guys said, haha. I kept the factory 3.55 gear ratio and tried using the factory shims but couldn't get the carrier with ring gear in since it was too tight.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
I was cleaning the garage yesterday and came across the spreader and fixtures featured on the start of this thread. I am willing to sell it as I no longer need it. I also have a billetflow pulley puller as well.

PM me if interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread