Homemade cold air intake?

BLACK97C0BRA

97DOHCAMMER
Established Member
Yes it's easily done, pvc pipe and some rubber boots/fernco and drill some holes for sensors and such. My opinion just save your money and buy one if you really want one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

nomoretickets

Established Member
I did this in back in HS on my GT for a while, primarily because I was bored and wanted to see if it worked. Wound up ditching it for a real CAI after a month or two. It worked fine I guess, in that it moved the inlet to the fenderwell and nothing broke. But it was for sure more of a PITA than it was worth. Only way making your own CAI is worth it is if you know how to work on carbon fiber and are bored.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Back in 2005 I got the urge for CAI with my Vortech S/C.
The Vortech setup mounts the air filter in the right front fender just behind the foglight.
In order to have access from outside the front of the car I moved both foglights inboard behind the lower grill. The Vortech-supplied K&N air filter is mounted just behind the foglight opening in the bumper fascia. I picked up some PVC pipe and a cap for the larger diameter pipe, steel angles, flexible aluminum clothes dryer duct, and screw-type hose clamps.
After taking many dimensions I cut the larger diameter pipe to length to fit over the K&N filter, cut a hole in the side of it and cemented a short length of the PVC pipe to the side of the larger pipe, and cemented the cap to what would be the bottom end of the assembly.
I fashioned three J-hook type clips to mount to the K&N mounting bracket to hold the filter housing in place around the filter unit. I blanked off the left floodlight opening to give the bumper a symmetrical look.
As they say "It works for me!"
PS - I do not drive the car in rainy weather, so water ingestion is not an issue.
Here's a picture up under the front bumper:
4lq2o8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread