How hard is installing an aftermarket car radio?

Kiohtee

Established Member
One that will also include an adapter to retain the factory steering wheel controls.

About to pull the plug on my daily so I can have BT, CarPlay, etc. Never done one before so just curious if I'm better off taking it somewhere to be installed or trying to do it on a Sunday at the house. Thanks in advance for the help.

Coiled03

Established Member
If it's just a head unit, and you have an adapter harness, it's not very hard at all. Beyond that, more info is needed.

Kiohtee

Established Member
If it's just a head unit, and you have an adapter harness, it's not very hard at all. Beyond that, more info is needed.

I'm collecting part numbers from Crutchfield to source everything needed and then buying elsewhere (read; cheaper). So everything should be provided.

R15393

Established Member
I'm collecting part numbers from Crutchfield to source everything needed and then buying elsewhere (read; cheaper). So everything should be provided.

You might find some of it cheaper elsewhere, but their customer service is excellent. And you can return it for free if you don't like it after installing it. And the tech support is great if you have any issues. I always buy from them. And most of the time, it's cheaper there anyways.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I preach the whole "you have to pay for excellent customer service" all day at work. It might be time to take my own medicine. Lol

Gotta admit though, I'm kinda nervous about this. Me and electrical doesn't mix.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
what vehicle are you going to attempt this with?

you'll need a harness adapter and potentially speaker adapters at the head unit depending on vehicle. the steering wheel adapter is a plug n play for 90% of the vehicles out there. you may to flip a few dip switches but if you can read directions and look at a picture, youll be ok.

go ahead and budget an entire day. it shouldnt take you that long, but youll want to go slow and make sure you do it right the first time.

crutchfield is overpriced. yes, they have excellent customer service and return policies, but its kind of hard to justify a 30-50% markup on items that can be found on amazon being sold by reputable companies, especially if you have a prime account.

nxhappy

Established Member
you can find what you need on crutchfield ...then just google for the cheapest price ...ebay is good too

Kiohtee

Established Member
I've always made a list of part numbers via Crutchfield and then purchased from eBay/Amazon. The whole return policy thing doesn't apply to me since I'm not the kind of buyer to jump into something like this without knowing what it is/does.

The car in question is a 2004 Volvo S60. It's challenging finding a steering wheel adapter that works for this thing.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
The car in question is a 2004 Volvo S60. It's challenging finding a steering wheel adapter that works for this thing.

Should double check on swedespeed for people who have done radio installs but I've seen plenty done in those old P2 platform volvos. I'm sure someone has made the steering wheel controls work by now.

coremaster21

Established Member
Hard. But I'm an idiot. Bought one for my 2001 Mustang Gt and I couldn't get the subwoofers to work so I just put the stock one back in.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Check out the idatalink maestro's for steering wheel control adapters. Just bough one for my tundra. They're programmable and easy to use.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Crutchfield is overpriced? I just looked at amazon and the prices are pretty damn similar.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
the axxess awsc wont work, it only works on 06+. you need the crux swrvl-54.

also, you may or may not need to deal with some codes when removing the radio. apparently the car gets its panties in a wad when you remove the stock radio and things like the alarm may spaz out.

heres a link on the nightmare project youre about to undertake:

http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publish/Features/article_147.html

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Crutchfield is overpriced? I just looked at amazon and the prices are pretty damn similar.

example:

Rockford Fosgate Prime amp, 1200WRMSx1 @ 1ohm part# R1200-1D

crutchfield: $329.99
amazon: $233.96 (free 2 day shipping w/prime account)
sonic electronix : $259.99

exactly what the **** is crutchfield offering me thats gonna make me want to spend an extra $96.03 on ONE COMPONENT? crutchfield is shaddy as shit with their pricing. somethings arent too bad but theyre NEVER cheaper than anyone else.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
example:

Rockford Fosgate Prime amp, 1200WRMSx1 @ 1ohm part# R1200-1D

crutchfield: $329.99
amazon: $233.96 (free 2 day shipping w/prime account)
sonic electronix : $259.99

exactly what the **** is crutchfield offering me thats gonna make me want to spend an extra $96.03 on ONE COMPONENT? crutchfield is shaddy as shit with their pricing. somethings arent too bad but theyre NEVER cheaper than anyone else.
I only looked at headunits. They are all within $20 of each other

Users who are viewing this thread