• 5001 - 6000

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Over 6000

Votes: 19 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dom418

Established Member
Does anyone know if all of the allocations have been built? I swore I remember reading that once all the allocation vehicles were built then ford would start producing more cobras based on orders. I thought all of the first batch cars were set aside until all allocations were satisfied and each dealer allotment fulfilled. this may explain why dealers that have already sold their allocations can't order any more. Maybe once ford is done building cars for allotment the order banks will be open to all.

RedWhite&Blown

Established Member
If the car had been allocated-it will get scheduled.

It's July 2012- from my source- there are still 5 months left left to build these cars- and they've only been being built for 2.5mos.

I just think its premature that we speculate build numbers at this point

Exactly - "if" the car is allocated it will get built, but if a dealer has no or has no more allocations you are pretty much out of luck. That pretty much makes it limited production by definition. There may be a few dealers that get an "extra" allocation or so, but I, like many others have flat out been told by dealers they could not get me one. These dealers weren't trying to hold out and get an ADM out of the deal, they didn't even ask for contact info from me.

I found one, got it at MSRP with a build date of next Thursday, but I have never had to work so hard to spend $65K in my life and others have been working just as hard and still haven't been able to. A LOT of dealers, as another poster said, would LOVE to sell at MSRP and simply can not get them. No doubt this is all just speculation at this point, but this is the perfect time to speculate. It won't be nearly as fun when the order year is over and we all know the answers. :D

farmboy90

Established Member
I've said it before, but I think it is worth reiterating here.... There are many reasons why the car is limited in its production. Despite what some have heard about "Ford building as many as they can sell". It absolutely just isn't true.

Many of the things listed in this thread are reasons why this isn't true: parts availability, desire to make the car more exclusive, scheduling issues, etc. Included in this are CAFE standards. Even if 100,000 people lumped out money for the new Cobra, Ford simply isn't going to build them (even if it could). CAFE fines are millions of dollars. You need to meet standard are you pay HEFTY fines. This also plays into Ford only wanting to build a certain number of these cars.

Corporate Average Fuel Economy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dadz500

Established Member
Here's what we know.

Less than 2000 have been built to date- in about 100 days of production.

100 days from now- will be late October

Here's my speculation:
Word in my circles is build will stop around christmas

That being said- at the current pace 4000-5000 cars.

Remember- Ford will build as many as dealer's order.

Problem is alot of dealer's that still have allocation are asking ADM's- even for an order- and people just aren't paying it. It looks like the dealers may be slowing down the builds.

Many early orders were ADM-less- but now, not so much. Which means less people willing to pay $75k for a Mustang.

Chris - Question for you. I know you have experience in the car business. So Ford will continue to build as long as orders come in, but if a Dealer only has allocation for 1-2 or 3-5 etc, can that Dealer still order? If not, doesn't this hurt Ford and allow them to only build a certain amount if Dealers can't order more then their allocations? What determines their allocation? What would be the highest allocation a Dealer would get?

My local Dealer is a pretty huge Dealer, but it seems their allocation for Shelby's was very small in comparison to their size and the amount of units they sell of other models and Mustangs in general.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Chris - Question for you. I know you have experience in the car business. So Ford will continue to build as long as orders come in, but if a Dealer only has allocation for 1-2 or 3-5 etc, can that Dealer still order? If not, doesn't this hurt Ford and allow them to only build a certain amount if Dealers can't order more then their allocations? What determines their allocation? What would be the highest allocation a Dealer would get?

My local Dealer is a pretty huge Dealer, but it seems their allocation for Shelby's was very small in comparison to their size and the amount of units they sell of other models and Mustangs in general.

Dealer can only order from what they were allocated- unless they were awarded another by their rep- there are dealers still with non-customer order allocations- probably due to ADM or potential ADM.

Allocation is determined by previous mustang sales, the region they are located in (so cal dealers and Florida dealers will get more than new england dealer's), previous Shelby sold, overall vehicle sales volume, and taking more "off" vehicles (stick no AC snot green fiestas come to mind) all come into place.

An example:
We had to take 4 stick no AC rangers in colors such as " burnt dogshit" and "sinus infection green" AND two automatic bright yellow no option V6 mustangs for our rep to even consider giving us a Ford GT back in 2006

Last edited:

farmboy90

Established Member
An example:
We had to take 4 stick no AC rangers in colors such as " burnt dogshit" and "sinus infection green" AND two automatic bright yellow no option V6 mustangs for our rep to even consider giving us a Ford GT back in 2006

LOL! That's pretty funny. :)

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
I think it is a lot more simpler than some of you are making it out to be. If it wasn't a limited production vehicle, than there would be no need for the whole allocation system.
Simply let dealers order as many as they can sell!!! You only have an allocation system if something is limited, otherwise it is unnecessary.

I asked Jamal Hameedi, at the Chicago auto show, "Will this be a limited production model?" He stated "Ford will build as many as they can sell minus 1." I believe Ford under estimated the demand for a 65K+ Mustang.

BTW, I know 2 or 3 Dealers that still have their 1st allocation available to order for 5 - 10K over MSRP.

Snoopy49

Established Member
BTW, I know 2 or 3 Dealers that still have their 1st allocation available to order for 5 - 10K over MSRP.

Does the saying "You Snooze You Lose" apply to dealers that sit on their first allocations to long?
There are dealers in California that have 4 or 5 GT500's for sale and on their lots. They can't all be 1st allocations, can they?

Last edited:

reason4treason

Established Member
Yeah, I'll try and ask if they can tell. The only number I saw on 7/17 was that there were 2,294 that were "unscheduled". But all this number really means is 3,725 minus the 1,431 that were already built or in-production. So it doesn't say how many of the 2,294 were orders in the system (but still unscheduled). I'll see if I can get that breakdown. On 7/17, here were the numbers:

Unscheduled - 2,294
In the Plant - 454
Memo Count - 1 (no idea what this means)
In Transit - 109
Demo Count - 2 (not sure what exactly this means either)
Stock count - 185 (not sure on this either, but maybe that is how many are on dealer lots??)
Unit 12 Sales - 680 (no idea on this either. Maybe I'll ask what this means).

I would be extremely curious to learn how many allocations were allowed by SVT for the 2013 if you can find that out, please. The first dealer I tried to work with was informed during the last week of April how many allocations they were allowed for the 2013. I'd guess that all dealers were informed about the same time.

Ford/SVT really should have a system of advertising which dealers have allocations remaining; the truth. Those that hold the last 100 allocations are for example going to have a hard time matching up with customers because it's such a chore to do a national search.

I also think Ford should have its own listing of all GT500 inventory as easily accessible as cars.com or autotrader. Why shouldn't they? That's to their benefit.

Any customer who truly wants one and has the $$$ ready should be able to get one either off a lot somewhere, or ordered if the options they want are not available on a lot, or if one is available but there's an ADM on it.

Thanks very much for your gems fb90.

btw: if a dealer now cannot get an order accepted if they don't have an allocation available, it is much better to know that. early in the year, before dealers were informed of how many 2013 allocations they would get, orders were accepted, sometimes without that allocation eventually being granted. maybe after too, i don't know. but if that's now not the case, at least you're not definitely waiting for something that is never going to materialize...although none of this is guaranteed even now as the setup stands.

I know that if you have your car, you're probably not concerned, but for those of us still waiting, we're trying to gauge, and this is the most useful info we seem to have to work with.

Last edited:

farmboy90

Established Member
I would be extremely curious to learn how many allocations were allowed by SVT for the 2013 if you can find that out, please.

I am not sure I get the question here. Can you clarify?

Basically not a single one of the 3,725 Cobras is going to get built without an allocation. How are they doled out? Not sure. I can try to ask though, if that is your question. At the very least we know that each dealer in the Shelby program will get at least 1 car this year, and 1 car next year. After that it seems to be based on Share of Nation formula and maybe some other variables.

The first dealer I tried to work with was informed during the last week of April how many allocations they were allowed for the 2013. I'd guess that all dealers were informed about the same time.

Yeah, this is likely true. However some dealers will get awarded MORE than their original allotment. This is because some allocations will go unused by other dealers, etc. So Ford will at some point re-assign unused allocation.

Ford/SVT really should have a system of advertising which dealers have allocations remaining; the truth. Those that hold the last 100 allocations are for example going to have a hard time matching up with customers because it's such a chore to do a national search.

I also think Ford should have its own listing of all GT500 inventory as easily accessible as cars.com or autotrader. Why shouldn't they? That's to their benefit.

Can't disagree with this. One thing I think I can do though.... I plan to send a note to my guy around Wednesday of this week. In that note, I will ask him if any dealerships in his area have unused allocation. I suppose this is something he might be able to find out. I think he said he oversees something like 140 dealerships in his region of the country, so maybe he has some visibility into their remaining allocation. If I can get that list, I will share it here. In fact, let me just send him a note right now.... Done. Just emailed him.

Any customer who truly wants one and has the $$$ ready should be able to get one either off a lot somewhere, or ordered if the options they want are not available on a lot, or if one is available but there's an ADM on it.

No can do. I highly doubt that Ford could build many of them, for several reasons (these are just my theories)
1) They have some desire to keep them exclusive. It the 3,725 number holds up, these will technically be more rare than Bosses.
2) CAFE standards
3) Parts limitations, etc.

Last edited:

reason4treason

Established Member

every dealer who paid the SVT 2-year fee got one allocation for 2013 and can get another one for 2014, at least. president's list (340 of the approx 5000 ford dealers) get a second from what i understand. large volume dealers (i don't know if this just refers to GT500 past sales or all Mustangs combined) such as Galpin get even more. so: back in late April, early May there were I would guess some specified number that was the total of all of those allocations combined nationwide. i'm curious what that number was. how many dealers paid the SVT fee, and how many extra allocations on top of that, all totalled, were allowed?

Basically not a single one of the 3,725 Cobras is going to get built without an allocation. How are they doled out? Not sure. I can try to ask though, if that is your question. At the very least we know that each dealer in the Shelby program will get at least 1 car this year, and 1 car next year. After that it seems to be based on Share of Nation formula and maybe some other variables.

Yeah, this is likely true. However some dealers will get awarded MORE than their original allotment. This is because some allocations will go unused by other dealers, etc. So Ford will at some point re-assign unused allocation.

i am hearing/seeing that in very small numbers, but it does seem to be the case. not sure who exactly re-assigns them but it seems to be happening.

Can't disagree with this. One thing I think I can do though.... I plan to send a note to my guy around Wednesday of this week. In that note, I will ask him if any dealerships in his area have unused allocation. I suppose this is something he might be able to find out. I think he said he oversees something like 140 dealerships in his region of the country, so maybe he has some visibility into their remaining allocation. If I can get that list, I will share it here. In fact, let me just send him a note right now.... Done. Just emailed him.

i think Ford should have something with content online where potential customers could in less than one minute access a list of all dealers nationwide who still have allocations left. if Schmoe Ford in Bumfugg, Idaho has one, they should be as accessible to customers as the mega-dealerships in major cities. i presented this idea in another thread awhile back about how perhaps a small fee could be charged to keep out riff-raff and not waste dealers' time. my idea was $50 nonrefundable, and another maybe $100 that could be applied toward a purchase, or else lose that too. Ford/SVT gets better instant contact with customers and dealers do too. the list could only be viewed at a dealership with perhaps Gen Mgrs at the lowest rank. honest dealers also benefit while liars are hopefully squelched. i think not just GT500s, but all Fords should be available on a website that pops up listings as quickly as cars.com or autotrader, not the slow, one-at-a-time searches that have to be done now, or the Ford marketing dept 5 at-a-time list they'll give you on the phone. basically, there are things Ford can do to make info much more readily/easily available. although after seeing their configurator with the stripes still on the glass roof for 2 months, i don't know who's managing that fiasco. how can a multi-multi billion dollar corp have such a lousy website? it's 2012 for cryin' out loud, and they're trumpeting about their major turn toward globalism. there are simple things that can be done to improve competitiveness, especially on a global scale.

No can do. I highly doubt that Ford could build many of them, for several reasons (these are just my theories)
1) They have some desire to keep them exclusive. It the 3,725 number holds up, these will technically be more rare than Bosses.
2) CAFE standards

yeh, sorry about not being clear about that. what i really meant was connecting customers with both available allocations and inventory on lots, or built and on the way. obviously there are limits on how many Ford can build during a given time frame.

drmustang

Banned

2) CAFE standards

Ford built nearly 11,000 GT500s for 07. They found enough parts then, why wouldn't they have them now. Maybe you could ask your magical "guy" out there in cyberspace about that one.

Whats wrong with the theory of them building these cars to approximate the number of willing, capable buyers. Doesn't that make sense.

Exclusive? Really? Do you have any idea how many GT500s have been put into circulation to this point?

farmboy90

Established Member
Ford built nearly 11,000 GT500s for 07. They found enough parts then, why wouldn't they have them now.

Don't know. There is almost no comparison between the 7 and 13 in terms of parts though.

Maybe you could ask your magical "guy" out there in cyberspace about that one.

I am leaving him alone for a while. I feel bad bugging him over stuff like this. He got my car built--and provided a little insight along the way--so I am happy.

Whats wrong with the theory of them building these cars to approximate the number of willing, capable buyers. Doesn't that make sense.

It does make sense. It's as good a theory as any. For all I know Ford won't ever stop building these. They'll skip 2014 and just keep building 2013's since so many people are lining up to buy them. :rolleyes:

Exclusive? Really? Do you have any idea how many GT500s have been put into circulation to this point?

Exclusive is a relative term I suppose. It is more exclusive than most everything else produced by Ford.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Ford built nearly 11,000 GT500s for 07. They found enough parts then, why wouldn't they have them now. Maybe you could ask your magical "guy" out there in cyberspace about that one.

Check out the number of cars by year since 2007. How do you explain the far lower numbers produced, especially in the last 4 years?

Well, here you go then......... Not really rare cars huh?

SHELBY GT500 PRODUCTION
Coupes.............................8,150
Verts...............................2,694
Total...............................10,844

Coupes.............................6,513
Verts................................2,070
Total................................8,583

Coupes.............................3,004
Verts................................555
Total................................3,339

Coupes.............................3,545
Verts................................913
Total................................4,458

Coupes.............................3,461
Verts................................838
Total................................4,299

Coupes.............................3,929
Verts................................905
Total................................4,834

Total Production: 2007-2012
Coupes.............................28,602
Verts................................7,975
Total................................36,577

drmustang

Banned
Don't know. There is almost no comparison between the 7 and 13 in terms of parts though.

I am leaving him alone for a while. I feel bad bugging him over stuff like this. He got my car built--and provided a little insight along the way--so I am happy.

It does make sense. It's as good a theory as any. For all I know Ford won't ever stop building these. They'll skip 2014 and just keep building 2013's since so many people are lining up to buy them. :rolleyes:

Exclusive is a relative term I suppose. It is more exclusive than most everything else produced by Ford.

That was good for a laugh.

"For all you know", Who are you?

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Check out the number of cars by year since 2007. How do you explain the far lower numbers produced, especially in the last 4 years?

this right here! 07 was an anomally...cars got less and less as years went by

pay no mind to drmustang, hes always starting crap and has been suspended before

Users who are viewing this thread