• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

How much power can these new 5.0 motors handle?

Discussion in 'Engine/Tuning' started by lx347cid, Jul 7, 2012.

1. lx347cid

lx347cid Member Established Member

If you were to put a whipple or turbo on these motors how much can they handle from the stock engine components of course with a proper tune?
    whats the weak link in these motors?

thanks

2. 92hatchlx

92hatchlx Colorado Rocky Mountain High Established Member

From what I have taken in, it is the rods and pistons that are the weak link as far as rotating assembly goes. The stock oil pump has been known to grenade at high power levels also. There are plenty of us, including myself, that are running around with 600-650 rwhp and we are doing good thus far.

3. slow306stang

slow306stang Active Member Established Member

From what i've been told by Evolution is 600whp is about the limit for being reliable power. Anything further and you're pushing it. On a blower car i'd limit the boost to 9-10psi max and even then you'll be making over 600whp LOL

4. trakit

trakit Member Established Member

I have a new 13 5.0 on order and I am thinking of going with the HPE700 package from Hennessey Performance. They claim like 600 to the tire. I used to own a 94 Viper so I am aware of the horror stories from the past. That being said they warranty the package completely for 3 years/36k miles. With a warranty like that I am inclined to go that route?!? 600 plus to the tire with a warranty? does anyone else offer this? I know of several other shops but no one wants to warranty the 5.0!

5. mysteed

mysteed Active Member Established Member

Stay as far away from Hennessey as you can. A simple FRPP blower kit would be more than enough power & pretty much any shop should warranty their work (labor) should an issue occur.

6. truebluedevil02

truebluedevil02 Captain Jackstands Established Member

this, and you will probably save several thousand $$ also.

7. RMoore92

RMoore92 New Member Established Member

Shocking, a ford motor with weak rods and pistons!!

8. infidel0910

infidel0910 New Member Established Member

I am amazed at how much power you can get out of these new 5.0's reliably and with simple bolt-ons and low boost. Makes me want one that much more.

9. alex12gt

alex12gt New Member Established Member

Currently 600-650 seems to be the limit ive got a roush tvs pushing 575rwhp at 8.5 psi but i just switch ed to a new pulley and am at around 12.5 psi and will have dyno numbers once it cools down

10. RusWolf

RusWolf Active Member Established Member

Anyone knows how much does it cost to upgrade fuel pump gears?

11. alex12gt

alex12gt New Member Established Member

I think you mean oil pump gears and the gears are 3-400 plus install

12. 2013Boss302

2013Boss302 New Member Established Member

I know of someone with about 750RWHP on a stock motor.

13. seank

seank Lateral G Lover Established Member

Link to shops that provide 3 year/ 36k warranties? Not trying to be a dick I've just never come across shops like that, can't say I've looked though as I do all my own work. Do the FRPP or Roush kits have a warranty if they are not installed by a certified dealer?

Power level vs life will be dependent on how you use the car as well as how you maintain it. Id put money on the guys with twin screw blowers having premature failure before centri and turbo guys because of the instant torque spike off idle. That's pretty much a rod's worst nightmare and that is the weak link in our rotating assembly.

14. truebluedevil02

truebluedevil02 Captain Jackstands Established Member

A lot of people have gone over the 700whp mark and lived to tell about it. one guy on here with a procharger is making around 720whp and has not had any issues that I know of. If you have a good tune and dont spin it to 7500rpm it should live. Unlike most people I am keeping my stock redline. There is no sense in spinning the motor 700rpm higher than stock, that 700rpm makes a HUGE difference in the life span of your rods and pistons when your power gets that high.

15. slagburn

slagburn SVT Crazy Poster Established Member

Seems plausible, and very likely.. :idea:

As for the warranty, if someplace says they will maintain your full powertrain warranty with a blower install when new, get that in writing, and notarize it too as that's extremely unlikely. If someone truly offers a 3/36 and it's a good running kit, not neutered at 5 psi or something, go for it.

16. neatofrito1618

neatofrito1618 Active Member Established Member

Yep, and a single stage nitrous kit surely isn't going to be very friendly on a stock shortblock either.

17. RI_2011_GT

RI_2011_GT New Member Established Member

What size pulley did you get? Stock airbox?

18. D.T.R

D.T.R New Member Established Member

How are the rods and pistons weak when they withstand 600whp for a while?
    I think you're forgetting that the motor was designed to run at 412hp ... they didn't design the motor hoping that some guy would dump $10k worth of mods, and push another 300whp worth of extra stress on top of this motor.

19. seank

seank Lateral G Lover Established Member

The rods were most definitely designed to handle more than 412hp. They probably were designed with a factor of safety of anywhere from 1.5-1.8. You don't sell a piece of machinery already operating at its performance limit. No Ford did not intend for everyone to run out and strap on a major power adder and have the motor survive but there is most definitely room to grow.

20. D.T.R

D.T.R New Member Established Member

I understand your point, of course they're not going to sell a "piece of machinery" already working at it's breaking point... but also you can't expect the motor to withstand 1000whp all day long... that's just not simply what it was designed to do.