How much power can these new 5.0 motors handle?

2011redcandy

Established Member
People talk about the rods being weak, how many have actually seen them break on a 5.0?

The pistons are another story. the rings seem to break, or the piston just completely falls apart.

Oil pump gears are also a major cause of failing. Most of the guys running it up to over 700 are using Billet oil pump gears (like myself). Install on those is between 7-900, it is a 10-12 hour job.

These motors seem to be all about the tuning.

D.T.R

Established Member
Twin turbo + short block + oil pump = do it all at once. At least, that's my plan lol

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
People talk about the rods being weak, how many have actually seen them break on a 5.0?

The pistons are another story. the rings seem to break, or the piston just completely falls apart.

Oil pump gears are also a major cause of failing. Most of the guys running it up to over 700 are using Billet oil pump gears (like myself). Install on those is between 7-900, it is a 10-12 hour job.

These motors seem to be all about the tuning.

I've only seen a couple guys who did the rods in but I'd believe what the coyote engineers said, when they stated they were the weakest link. Why lie about such a thing?

Were the pistons actually the problem or was it crap rings or broken valves that beat up the piston after being reved too high?

In reference to the oil pump gears. How many reported failures are there and at what power levels and driving conditions? I have not looked into this at all. Are guys just blindly replacing them because they are plastic and they already have their block apart or are there lots of failures that have happened?

The tuning comment is blatantly obvious. You can build up the the best long block with the best parts and have it put together by the best builder. If you install it and have Jon Doe of backyard tuning calibrate the thing you are setting yourself up for failure.

On ANY engine tuning is what keeps you on the road and not cursing in the garage.

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
All I'm saying if your going to do a supercharger then don't go over 12psi on pump gas and I'm not sure what the limit is with a turbo setup.

D.T.R

Established Member
I think the whole PSI thing is irrelevant. Different blowers make different power at the same PSI. Different size turbos make different power at the same PSI.
A 96mm turbo at 10psi will make a shit ton more power than a 76mm at the same PSI.

I'm sure the same applies to a 4L blower vs a 2.3L blower..

Last edited:

Mike50

Established Member
I wish I knew the answer to this as well because I am itching for another round of upgrades. I have a Roush TVS, 79mm, VMP tune, and I want MOAR! I am too scared to push it any further because I don't want to deal with an expensive disaster.

How many people are running a TVS with more than 10 lbs. of boost and more than 600 RWHP? I'm not sure how safe I would feel adding another 2 lbs. or so of boost.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
^Exactly D.T.R. It's all about how the power is applied. Like I said earlier, a twin screw blower is probably the worst case scenario for the rotating assembly. You have instant boost and torque right off idle as opposed to near linearly increasing boost and torque on a centri or turbo. The low end smack in the face the rotating assembly receives from a twin screw is much more harsh than boost ramping up through the power band on a centri and turbo setup.

D.T.R

Established Member
I wish I knew the answer to this as well because I am itching for another round of upgrades. I have a Roush TVS, 79mm, VMP tune, and I want MOAR! I am too scared to push it any further because I don't want to deal with an expensive disaster.

How many people are running a TVS with more than 10 lbs. of boost and more than 600 RWHP? I'm not sure how safe I would feel adding another 2 lbs. or so of boost.

600whp is plenty for the streets man... if you're concerned about what "might" happen then I just would keep it where it's at.
I'm already looking at a 2013 SHO v6 TT as my DD for when I turbo the 5.0... that way I won't give a rat's ass if it breaks

D.T.R

Established Member
^Exactly D.T.R. It's all about how the power is applied. Like I said earlier, a twin screw blower is probably the worst case scenario for the rotating assembly. You have instant boost and torque right off idle as opposed to near linearly increasing boost and torque on a centri or turbo. The low end smack in the face the rotating assembly receives from a twin screw is much more harsh than boost ramping up through the power band on a centri and turbo setup.

Couldn't agree any more.

alex12gt

Established Member

I was at 575rwhp with the 90mm pulley and jlt intake at like 8.5 psi now im running 79mm and im at about 12.5 psi and will be getting dyno numbers soon

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
If you put big power out of these motors it's not a question of if, but when you get to build it.

Mike50

Established Member
If you put big power out of these motors it's not a question of if, but when you get to build it.
What do you consider "big power"? Most seem to be keeping it under 600 RWHP. Do you think problems are going to start creeping up for all of us at those levels?

2013Boss302

Established Member
A lot of people have gone over the 700whp mark and lived to tell about it. one guy on here with a procharger is making around 720whp and has not had any issues that I know of. If you have a good tune and dont spin it to 7500rpm it should live. Unlike most people I am keeping my stock redline. There is no sense in spinning the motor 700rpm higher than stock, that 700rpm makes a HUGE difference in the life span of your rods and pistons when your power gets that high.

The car is tuned by Ryne Cunningham at Cunningham Motorsports. He is one of the best Mustang tuners right now. He tuned my 2011 GT. Now im waiting for all my Boss mods to go see him.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
What do you consider "big power"? Most seem to be keeping it under 600 RWHP. Do you think problems are going to start creeping up for all of us at those levels?

Slagburn's car was making about 500-520whp for over a year and something like 25K miles. He upped the boost and was making right at 560whp for iirc about 7k miles and is now building his motor thanks to an oh so slightly bent rod. He got lucky and cought it before it completely let go and put windows in the block. I believe he was shifting at 7K also. If you want a true to god reliable power limit I would say 525whp and you can enjoy the motor living for a long time like that. Once you go above that it starts to become a crap shoot.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
A factor of safety of 1.5 gives 618chp , 1.8 gives 742chp. Completely inline with the whp numbers you just posted, 495-594 with a 20% drivetrain loss.

Bud

Established Member
Roush warrants their stuff at 3yr 36k at 575hp at the crank, I'd say that is what is reliable. Anything more than that and you are just reducing longevity. If you can't build a motor when the first one goes it's probably best not to go past that, it is really fun when you do though...

Users who are viewing this thread