How often do hit and runners get caught?

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
My mom was just the victim of a hit and run. She was sitting at an intersection when she was side-swiped by a woman in a mini-van. The damage to my mother's car was pretty extensive. The whole back quarter of my mom's car was ripped away down to the unibody. So I would imagine the damage to the van was also pretty heavy. In all honesty how often are these people caught? My mom wasn't able to get a plate number since the other driver took off pretty quickly but did call 911 and gave a full statement to the police right after she was ran into.

EBBS_03_Cobra

Never satisfied
Established Member
Sorry to hear. When the Expedition was hit (not nearly as major), they told me the odds weren't in my favor of finding the person.

tistan

Established Member
Probably not too often because the police don't give a shit. I was in a hit and run accident almost two months ago. I still have never been able to talk to the officer that has my case, and I he doesn't believe in returning phone calls. An off duty officer chased the car that hit me and got his tag information for the police, and they still have not done anything.

Hitman318

My other car is a cruiser
Established Member
Probably not too often because the police don't give a shit. I was in a hit and run accident almost two months ago. I still have never been able to talk to the officer that has my case, and I he doesn't believe in returning phone calls. An off duty officer chased the car that hit me and got his tag information for the police, and they still have not done anything.

this

is not the answer... :nonono:

hit and runs are investigations, not just simple wrecks. It takes time so be patient OP

tistan

Established Member
this

is not the answer... :nonono:

hit and runs are investigations, not just simple wrecks. It takes time so be patient OP

It is the answer in my situation. I've been trying to get in contact with the person in charge of my case for two months. How long does it take for them to return my call. On top of that, they have the vehicle that hit me information. Since you seem to know, then tell me how long do I have to wait for the police to do something.

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
^Ask to speak to his sgt. if he's not returning your calls. Many times the cases get forwarded to detectives as well, he may not be working on it anymore personally.

I had a drunk driver hit me and my sister who was driving another car in the lane beside mine. He tried cutting in between us at about 80 mph, and we were doing around 45. Thankfully my car was still driveable (sisters truck blew a tire and couldn't go anywhere) and I chased his ass down. Dumb huck. He messed with the wrong ppl lol. I wanted to get out and beat the crap out of him so bad, but the justice system did their number on him :D

Digital

Established Member
^Ask to speak to his sgt. if he's not returning your calls. Many times the cases get forwarded to detectives as well, he may not be working on it anymore personally.

I had a drunk driver hit me and my sister who was driving another car in the lane beside mine. He tried cutting in between us at about 80 mph, and we were doing around 45. Thankfully my car was still driveable (sisters truck blew a tire and couldn't go anywhere) and I chased his ass down. Dumb huck. He messed with the wrong ppl lol. I wanted to get out and beat the crap out of him so bad, but the justice system did their number on him :D

So you beat him with a law book instead?

cemeflybyu

Press hard, 5 copies...
Established Member
Solvability of a hit and run really depends on the circumstances and evidence.

I just had one where the victim was able to follow him and direct our units in to make a stop on him. Thats one of the clean easy ones.

Others depend on witnesses, cameras located on businesses that catch it, suspects cars showing up for repair work, and someimes just plain dumb luck.

They may be solved blocks away or months down the road or even never.

Saying the Police dont care is the wrong attitude to have and clearly shows a lack of understanding of how the system works. You say the Police dont care but I'm sure it doesnt stop you from dialing 911 in an emergency.

To the OP, if you cant get the officer, I 2nd requesting to speak with a Sgt. Also nothing says your mom cant stop by the PD to speak with someone in person.

Good luck to your mom.

Hitman318

My other car is a cruiser
Established Member
It is the answer in my situation. I've been trying to get in contact with the person in charge of my case for two months. How long does it take for them to return my call. On top of that, they have the vehicle that hit me information. Since you seem to know, then tell me how long do I have to wait for the police to do something.

i cant speak for your department, but to say cops dont give a shit is incorrect. like others have said call and request to speak to his supervisor, or better yet call the chiefs office. i guarantee you will get a call back in the latter..

oldmodman

Established Member
In Los Angeles, unless there is an injury or fatality, it is unlikely that you can even get a police report written up.

My Explorer was hit in Los Angeles, the woman that did it couldn't have cared less. She parked right in front of me and even said that the car was not registered, she had no license, and no insurance. When I called the WLA Division I was told that no officer was coming out to take a report because there was no injury.

So I pulled out all four of her valvestems and went home. Her car sat there for days. I guess it was finally towed away.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
My mom got rearended by a suburban while stopped at a light in her new 05 mustang back in 05. All the other driver could say,"no licenca, no insurance, no polica." mom had her phone in her hands an he saw it and ran. She got the plates but they were regestered to a cadilac. Needless to say the cops could do nothing.
Mustang needed a new rear bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread