How quick are stock lightnings?

TRMach1

Established Member
Just purchased a 2002 Lightning that is completely stock with 140k miles. It is in perfect conditions, no signs of having any mods added or removed. Only thing that I did ask the previous owner what kind of octane was in it and he said 89 :nono:. Truck looks perfect for having that many miles and it sounds perfect, its a blast to drive and I have definitely been enjoying it.

Yesterday a friend of mine who has a 15 v6 charger wanted to do a little spirited run, I beat him once from a dig and lost once. From a 20 roll I got him, 25 roll he got me. We did a 40 and I got him, but it wasn't by much. The times that he did get me there was absolutely no way of me catching up to him he just kept pulling. I was really disappointed with the truck getting beat by a v6 charger, I really thought it would have at least been able to keep up with an RT charger but even a v6 was too much. I did add 93 octane but it still had 1/4 of 89 so idk if the 89 is killing the performance or maybe it needs a tune up. Seems like its boosting 10psi.

pierce88

Established Member
Honestly if I remeber correctly I think they were about 14.0-14.5 from the factory.

Which remember back in 01-03 was pretty damn quick for a factory car (Or truck in this case)...

-Pierce

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
mid - high 13s

id start by removing the blower and cleaning the intercooler (assuming it doesnt have an oil separator), fresh spark plugs and make sure the intercooler pump is working. The pump doesnt come on right away but if youre at full operating temp there should be fluid moving in the intercooler res. If thats not working itll pull timing and run like shit

TRMach1

Established Member
Yea that was quick, even today it's pretty decent for a truck. A v6 charger is like a mid 15 second car which is why I thought It should have had no problem beating one. Unfortunately that wasn't the case lol.

TRMach1

Established Member
Sounds good! I'll definitely look into it and definitely do a tune up. I mean the truck idles perfect, doesn't act rough or anything but I feel like performance should definitely be better.

Dusten

Established Member
Id look into some basic maintenance. Plugs, fuel filter, cleaning the intercooler. That said bone stock with 10000 miles mine ran 13.6

96gt02

Established Member
Yeah ive seen slightly modded lightnings run in the 12's pretty easy

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
down here we see high 13's at best. Lots of low 14's from stock trucks. Dont get caught up in mine shaft air, amazing track prep, lots of practice driving and a hero pass on a slightly down hill track someone claims. That isnt normal.

Dusten

Established Member
down here we see high 13's at best. Lots of low 14's from stock trucks. Dont get caught up in mine shaft air, amazing track prep, lots of practice driving and a hero pass on a slightly down hill track someone claims. That isnt normal.
My 13.6 was in about 2000 ft da.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
So you had an 89/93 octane mixture? Never, ever, beat on that truck with less than 93 unless you like venitlated blocks. That out the way, check the intercooler pump, at 100K+ miles its bound to be bad. Also these trucks don't like heat. Cold air I'll run mid 12's, hot air(Summer) I'll run mid 13's.

I went 13.89 @ 98 bonestock in August at State Capital Raceway. Next pass it boost dumped on me.

Dusten

Established Member
So you had an 89/93 octane mixture? Never, ever, beat on that truck with less than 93 unless you like venitlated blocks. That out the way, check the intercooler pump, at 100K+ miles its bound to be bad. Also these trucks don't like heat. Cold air I'll run mid 12's, hot air(Summer) I'll run mid 13's.

I went 13.89 @ 98 bonestock in August at State Capital Raceway. Next pass it boost dumped on me.
Some places can only get 91...

Users who are viewing this thread