How risky to buy a whipple’d 350 - preowned?

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Title says it all, I see a few out there and wondering, good deal or too much risk?

I’m researching problems now, but YouTube only gives me more want. Thx.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
i have wanted that upgrade for a long time now...but i'm stuck in limbo right now, doing a consumption test with ford.

my hangup was seeing dyno videos that looked like a homerun, then never seeing that car again. even lethal's whipple'd car damn near vanished.

i still want to, but i don't think i have the balls to do it to this motor

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Compression and leakdown test prior to purchase, if it's good, you're good.
Pretty much this.
Obviously want to check service records, specifically Ford's OASIS system and ideally a local Mustang shop if possible.
If seller has paperwork and everything checks out/seems legit, you probably will make out well.
I also am looking at boosting a 350 while waiting for the next 500 to settle in.
Good luck.
-J

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Yea that’s my thought. I’m doing the GT500. But I had a ‘12 GT500 and have had my ‘14 GT500 for 4 yrs. I’d kinda like to get something in between the next Gt500 and a boosted 350 seems like crazy fun, if no major head aches.

Alaskanwhitesna

I too am wanting to boost my 19 GT350R. I have heard that the gen 2 predator block can handle 12 lbs of boost safely which is why
I spent more $ on the later model.
Can anybody verify the power train longevity of boosted Gt350 applications?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m in the same boat, considering a ‘19-20 and adding boost. Im leaning towards the Hellion sleeper TT on E85 if I do the 350 over the new 500.
Palm Beach Dyno has some good info, I like their turn key option.
-J

fearthesnake

Established Member
Pretty much this.
Obviously want to check service records, specifically Ford's OASIS system and ideally a local Mustang shop if possible.
If seller has paperwork and everything checks out/seems legit, you probably will make out well.
I also am looking at boosting a 350 while waiting for the next 500 to settle in.
Good luck.
-J
I've been researching for 2 months now about buying a used 350. ALOT of 350s on the market with service issue history.

I'm almost inclined to buy a Lemon buyback car with a new motor and guaranteed by Ford for 1 year. Drive it hard for 12 months and if all good then Boost it.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Id be worried about the trans taking a dump. Also not sure how long the motor will last with boost. Theres a reason ford went with stronger internals and cross plan crank for the Gt500.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I’d be worried more about the trans than motor. It’s 12:1 so you don’t need much boost.
-J

manny231988

Established Member
I’ve also been looking into doing this to my new to me gt350 mines a 2017 model with 13k miles but I’m kinda scared of engine failure since I’m in the middle of a build still don’t wanna have 2 downed cats lol

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I’ve also been looking into doing this to my new to me gt350 mines a 2017 model with 13k miles but I’m kinda scared of engine failure since I’m in the middle of a build still don’t wanna have 2 downed cats lol

One at a time. And be ready to kiss the warranty good buy.

fearthesnake

Established Member
All depends on the fuel, but 8-9# pump gas has people in the 800rwhp range I believe. You actually are safer with higher RPM on pump gas.
-J
Wow 800rwhp on 9lbs boost? Sign me up!

How about just running E85, LTHs and Tune? What type of rwhp does that combo produce?

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Should put you a little over 500 wheel. Totally different car with just a tune/e85.

Considered boosting mine after it got the new motor, but like a couple others mentioned, the tranny vs the torque and the issues i was seeing with clutches just talked me out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread