How To Adjust Clutch Cable

cottondoc

Established Member
this worked for me

I just finished this mod and it worked as described. My clutch now engages at about mid stroke of the pedal versus right off the floor. The car also shifts much better now. I am a big fan of this mod. That being said, the people able to easily do this in 15 minutes must be way better mechanics than me. I have always thought I had pretty good mechanical skills, but this was one of the most difficult, aggrivating things I have ever done to a car. I admit I didn't have all the best tools, a helper or remove the seat, so that probably made it much more difficult. I would recommend following the advice of the original poster. Get a helper to depress the clutch, remove the seat and make sure you have the correct dremel cut off wheel and plenty of time. I tried to do this in a hurry like some of the other posters, and it was much harder for me. Anyway, it worked as advertised. Thanks for the info and great post.:)

testorossa1989

Established Member
I tried this after having a nasty issue with all my gears banging. It helped!! I still have a rough shift but as far as shifting at normal RPMs, its very enjoyable. Thanks

A-spec

Established Member
Man! I thought I couldnt drive my car worth sh!t. Did this mod and now I could almost shift it as fast as my old honda lol. Also I could shift it at 6k rpm with no problems. Thanks to jm@rperf and to svtp!

metalbud

Established Member
Thank you so much for this write up, I bought my car a month ago and i thought the clutch was going out. After this mod the car shifts amazing!

I didnt have anything to remove the plastic hook but I managed to bend the metal plate enough to clear. I'll be picking up a dremel soon to make it look finished.

Best free mod you can do highly recomended.

maple

Established Member
Holy crap. I just had my master tech do this for me. (I asked him if he had a dremel and he ended up doing the entire thing for me.) Car is night and day night. I STRONGLY suggest this to everybody.

SVTwhore

Established Member
Will be doing this tomorrow!!! I've only had my car a week and was wondering what the deal was with not being able to speed shift worth a crap. I'll post back after I get this done.

maple

Established Member
Will be doing this tomorrow!!! I've only had my car a week and was wondering what the deal was with not being able to speed shift worth a crap. I'll post back after I get this done.
It'll be astonishing the difference you get.

metalbud

Established Member
my pedal is real hard to push in. will this help or do i need to do something else?

If your car hasn't had this mod done, you could use the auto adjuster to
loosen it some, but it may loosen it more than you would like, in which case
perform this mod and you should be set.

To use the auto adjuster, just hold the clutch all the way to the floor and
slide your foot off to the side so it snaps back up. You can find this procedure
in the manual.

Or, you could use a screw driver as mentioned in this write up to loosen the
clutch cable.

If you feel there is too much tension use a
big flat head screwdriver and push the release-tension adjuster up right at
where you cut the metal plate and it will pop loose, releasing cable tension.
Be careful when releasing tension because some have had the cable end come
off at the clutch fork.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
To use the auto adjuster, just hold the clutch all the way to the floor and slide your foot off to the side so it snaps back up.
The auto adjuster typically keeps too little tension on the cable over time which why this mod becomes necessary and the whole point of this thread. Also the auto adjuster is meant to be, well automatic more or less, and the clutch pedal does not usually need to be manipulated to activate it. Even if you are able to pull up the clutch pedal and get the auto adjuster to put some slack back in I seriously doubt that this is typically going to help anyone's shifting problems... will more likely make it worse.

This clutch pedal manipulation cable adjustment has been brought up a few times in this thread (and many others) and we've yet to see anyone post up here that it has helped them.
Or, you could use a screw driver as mentioned in this write up to loosen the clutch cable.
If you use a screwdriver to loosen the cable on a stock setup (non-modded) the auto adjuster will just put the standard amount of tension right back into the cable as soon as you operate the clutch.
my pedal is real hard to push in. will this help or do i need to do something else?
Stock Terminator clutches are very stiff and this is a typical complaint of owners of these vehicles. This mod will probably not help, if you want a lighter pedal you will need to install a different clutch.

Last edited:

New Edge

Screaming 2.2!
Established Member
Okay I'm thinking about taking the dive, but I'm concerned. I don't really have difficulty shifting, but I don't powershift, I granny shift ish. Lol
The problem that I am having with the clutch is that it is wayyy too far out. Like too high, so that the dead pedal/clutch pedal distance is entirely too large. Is there a way to adjust the position of the pedal at rest to be lower in it's arc so to speak?

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Is there a way to adjust the position of the pedal at rest to be lower in it's arc so to speak?
If you're still using the stock clutch and adjuster you could do the mod and then let some slack out to lower the pedal. However this will reduce the amount of clutch disengagement and might negatively impact your ability to shift the car quickly.

Cobra Kai Dojo

Finish him!
Established Member
i just performed this because my clutch pedal was shaking/vibrating (along with a TOB noise). this took care of the shaking/vibrating of the clutch pedal issue. i did 2 clicks. thanks! it was definitely helpful to have the pictures.

unfortunately, the TOB noise is still there but i am aware this mod isn't supposed to fix the TOB noise.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
So how does this mod hold up with daily driving? Does it maintain function and longevity?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Does it maintain function and longevity?
Well when it comes to Terminator clutches & TOBs longevity is rare... you will be dealing with a bad TOB, sleeve or clutch more often than your typical vehicle regardless. As far as functionality there is really no difference other than the cable will not be able to change it's tension automatically so a small (one click) adjustment may be necessary from time to time as it would be with any manual adjuster setup.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Well when it comes to Terminator clutches & TOBs longevity is rare... you will be dealing with a bad TOB, sleeve or clutch more often than your typical vehicle regardless. As far as functionality there is really no difference other than the cable will not be able to change it's tension automatically so a small (one click) adjustment may be necessary from time to time as it would be with any manual adjuster setup.

Thanks for the response bud. Roughly how much higher is the clutch pedal than the brake thanks inadvance. Prolly be doing this mod very soon.

K-Dubb

Established Member
I have a question on this mod. I did this mod about a year and a half ago, and a few hundred miles later my TOB started chirping, and has been ever since. If I slightly push on the pedal, it goes away. I have stock clutch and everything with 18k miles. I read on here that the TOB can start chirping because the clutch cable is too tight. Could this mod have caused my cable to be too tight, or did I do something wrong?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread