How To Adjust Clutch Cable

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
Yes if ur have n trouble getting into gears at high RPM, u can bend the metal or cut it like I did and you will be able to go threw the gears with ez. Just bend it or cut it 1st then push up on the quad a few qlicks and thats all it takes make sure u dont ben or cut soo much that the adjuster can come so far down that it slips off the quad.

Steeda04SVT

Team Bareass New Mexico
Established Member
Sweet, yeah cuz when I'm driving it normal, it'll shift fine, but once in a while I get locked out and when trying at higher RPM's it'll lock out. It pisses me off when I do that, especially when I was at the track.

Steeda04SVT

Team Bareass New Mexico
Established Member
Man, I have a Steeda Tri Ax shifter, and I have absolutely hated it here lately because my car was shifting like shit. I just did this mod and whoa what a difference! I may not get rid of this car after all. Thanks for the info!

I have the same shifter and was thinking at first that my car was shifting like shit cuz of the shifter. But hoping to attempt this mod this weekend.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
The shifter is not the problem is that the adjuster is grab n the quad too high up and not let n ur clutch disengadge all the way, so by do n this mod those few clicks up on the quad make the adjuster grad lower make n the quad pull more cable so that ur clutch disengadges all the way.

ice wat3r

noob
Established Member
now this pulls the slack out of the clutch cable ?

i just had my clutch replaced oem and its horrible compared to what it was. 1 gear is so tight, 2-6 i can live with, and then reverse is like a brick wall.

when my x pipe was installed yesterday, i took off that little trapped door on the tranny. im assuming this is the clutch cable ? there was soo much slack, i could unhook the cable

will this mod fix my problem or is it somewhere else ?

ice wat3r

noob
Established Member
nice. did one click and what a ****ing difference. aint bend that plate yet, wanted to go around the block first.

will bending this plate hurt me in the long run if i decide to replace quadrant ?

2 ROWDY

Established Member
I actually cut abot 4-5 cm off didnt bend it and I can power shift no prob and gears now slide in without let the gas go.
Ivan029.jpg

Ivan030.jpg

awesome, but did u just cut it or did u also adjust the clutch a few clicks??

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
now this pulls the slack out of the clutch cable ?

i just had my clutch replaced oem and its horrible compared to what it was. 1 gear is so tight, 2-6 i can live with, and then reverse is like a brick wall.

when my x pipe was installed yesterday, i took off that little trapped door on the tranny. im assuming this is the clutch cable ? there was soo much slack, i could unhook the cable

will this mod fix my problem or is it somewhere else ?

sounds like this will exactly fix your problem :beer:

no reason to hit a wall while looking for gears

562cobra

Hlistr_07RR ftl
Established Member
well yesterday, i decided that it was time to bend the metal plate thing. took me at least a *****ing hour. i had to remove the driver seat to get comfortable. the metal thing is a bitch to bend. i only had needle nose pliers, (dad likes hiding tools)
well took it for a test drive and WOW!! WOW!! no more double clutching. i was shifting at 6k rpms and butterlike gear going throughage. i dont care if pedal sits higher i still cant lock my knee anyways.

as soon as seat came out i found 2 gallons worth of 91 octane for the win.

justice

Established Member
Thank you, thank you, thank you

I read the instructions and completed the adjustment in 30 seconds.
Absolutely amazing.
The car is now a pleasure to drive.
No more missed shifts, grinding gears etc.

I will pass this on to all cobra owners in my area.

You should win an award.

justice

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
isnt this the same as putting the car in 1st gear when turned off and pulling up on the clutch cable until you hear a click?

Man, I've done that one "by the book" many times and have yet to hear a click. I'm just discovering this thread, but this weekend (or maybe at lunch later today!) I'm gonna give this a shot...

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
isnt this the same as putting the car in 1st gear when turned off and pulling up on the clutch cable until you hear a click?
No, it's not and that issue has been covered a couple times in this thread already. Please read the entire thread if you want to do the mod.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Mine is way loose now, someone said thiers came loose and the trans, how do I fix this? Help Please! I have to fix this tonight!

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Got It! I bought a floor jack and stands, lifted the car, found the cover, removed it and sure enough the cable had come loose. Thanks for all the help guys, mayb in another 10 years I won't be such a noob.

Oh, clutch comes out higher after adjustment, just what I needed. :rockon:

fajr22

Established Member
If you cant do this adjustment then you should not be working on your car.... This is so elementary its almost insulting that I had to look for it online... You guys did a kickazz job of detailing it.. Other recommendation, Take a pry bar and wedge it between the seat crossmember and the clutch pedal deprssing the clutch and this will hold the pedal down while you bend the tab out of the way... I used a small adjustable reduced to the thickness of the tab in order to bend it...Total time reading 15minutes, total time fixing 5 minutes including getting the tools... I am 6'2" and 240 so most any large guys can do it.. Its now a pleasure to drive my car and no longer embarassing missing shifts and grinding gears...

FRED ASHMORE

Users who are viewing this thread