How to check if an ATV has a lien?

bullitt1672

Established Member
Im currently looking at trading my s10 for an '02 raptor. The guy got it from a relative who passed away a few years ago, and it has just sat in his garage. I talked to him the other day and he said he didn't know if there was a lien on it or not, but was going to check (said he wouldn't know until later next week and I want the quad now) I'm almost certain it is not stolen but am going to have a cop friend run the vin on it to make sure. My question is does anyone know how I could check to see if it had a lien?? I'll be getting the VIN or serial # tonight, and probably get the original owner who died name too. My friend read you can run an AutoCheck but couldn't find on their website where it said anything about ATV's. Any help would be appreciated! I'd hate to get it, register it with the state, and then find out its out for repo! Thanks in advance!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Liens on motor vehicles are usually stamped on the title and encumbered that way. They can also be filed with the county in which the owner resides.

oldmodman

Established Member
Don't know about your state but in California if you have the pink slip, and it is signed by the current legal owner you can get a new pink slip issued in your name without any strings attached.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Im currently looking at trading my s10 for an '02 raptor. The guy got it from a relative who passed away a few years ago, and it has just sat in his garage. I talked to him the other day and he said he didn't know if there was a lien on it or not, but was going to check (said he wouldn't know until later next week and I want the quad now) I'm almost certain it is not stolen but am going to have a cop friend run the vin on it to make sure. My question is does anyone know how I could check to see if it had a lien?? I'll be getting the VIN or serial # tonight, and probably get the original owner who died name too. My friend read you can run an AutoCheck but couldn't find on their website where it said anything about ATV's. Any help would be appreciated! I'd hate to get it, register it with the state, and then find out its out for repo! Thanks in advance!

A 02 raptor 660 is only worth about $1,500, there's is no way i would trade a running pickup truck for one. :bash:

Maybe if it were a newer fuel injected raptor 700 or Yfz450r.

oilwell1415

Established Member
Does it even have a title or registration? None of my offroad bikes ever had either. None of the above and there really isn't any way to put a lien on it, at least not here. Just make sure you get a notarized bill of sale with it to cya.

bullitt1672

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys! I would look at the title, but its not with the guy im trading and thats why he doesnt know if there is a lien on it. It's a strange situation so I think I'll just be patient and wait until next week until the owner knows for sure. lol well the truck is a '96 sonoma that needs some a slave cylinder and some tlc and the quad is mint. I know I could turn around and sell the raptor for more than the truck. I cant even get 1500 for the truck.

Jefe

Established Member
Try calling motor vehicle or a 3rd party that deals with motor vehicle registration and giving them the VIN. Tell them you want to get it titled/registered in your name but the owner misplaced it. They might look it up for you and give you that info

bullitt1672

Established Member
^^ Thanks I may try that. The guy is starting to be shady so I'm just going to forget about the deal altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread