How to remove bad tint job?

sKyZ

I brought my new Ford Mustang (owned less than a month) to Custom 4 Wheel Parts & Accessories at 7101 South Blvd. Charlotte, NC on December 3rd, 2016 to have my front windows, rear quarter windows, and rear window tinted with LLumar Window Film (LLumar).

Less than a week later, all windows showed bubbling and dust spots under the film. At this point, I scheduled an appointment with them to have the windows redone and fixed. At which time I also noticed a 1-2" horizontal scratch on my driver side window that they stated was already there and also refused to do anything about. When they finished and backed it out in the parking lot, I saw the same issues with the tint as before and they redid the tint (again) the same day. However, the tint is even worse than before and more issues have developed.

I scheduled an appointment to bring my car in for today (December 21st, 2016) due to the bubbling and tears around the windows. Due to this being my third time coming to their shop (and forth time having the tint replaced), I requested to have all the tint removed and a refund issued.

The shop owner refused to refund my money and remove the tint.

Can anyone suggest a reputable tint shop that can properly remove the tint and apply new tint without any amateur issues?

Thank you.

sIEoduG.jpg

5dTlgDZ.jpg

1CuWD6t.jpg

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
If you want to remove the tint yourself a garment steamer works great. I used my wife's to remove the horrible tint job on my cobra when i bought it.

Kiohtee

Established Member
@zhisel where could this man get tinted?!

Thanks for the tag brother.

OP, hit up Todd Poteat of 1st Choice Window Tinting (336-978-7786). He does the local police forces and their personal cars, as well as a lot of NASCAR members and other high profile people/cars.

It was under $300 for all of my windows, windshield included, on my 2011 GT. Tell him Zach Hisel sent you if you reach out to him. Here's his Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/1st-Choice-Window-Tinting-171817516198001/

sKyZ

Thank you. I'll check him out as soon as I get this junk off my windows and settle down.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, Zach, under $300 for all of your windows was a great price, especially if the installation was excellent. I paid around $600 to do the windows (all except windshield) on my old '14 Mini Cooper. Twice the price for half the car. LOL.

cj428mach

Established Member
The cheaper home steamer works amazing. My old SB cobra had a 8 yr old tint job that was starting to bubble when I bought it. I removed all the tint in maybe an hour or 2. All the side glass will come off in a few minutes a piece with little glue residue to deal with. The tough part is removing the rear window tint as you can destroy the rear defroster if you get crazy pulling it off.

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
Steamer works great and the run out to a dollar general or similar and grab some "Awesome" cleaner. It's like a $1 and works great at removing the residual glue.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just curious, would Simple Green (full strength) work with removing left over glue residue? I ask because I once had globs of some solid material on my '03 Cobra. Looked like some form of glue obviously wiped on my car by some idiot. It wouldn't budge with anything I tried (starting with tar remover). I decided to try some Simple Green (full strength) and it came off easily.

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
Just curious, would Simple Green (full strength) work with removing left over glue residue? I ask because I once had globs of some solid material on my '03 Cobra. Looked like some form of glue obviously wiped on my car by some idiot. It wouldn't budge with anything I tried (starting with tar remover). I decided to try some Simple Green (full strength) and it came off easily.

Never tried the Simple Green, I tried the Awesome at the recommendation of my tinter who was helping me save a few bucks with getting a truck re-tinted.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I used my wife's clothes steamer, Windex, and a razor blade to remove tint from my front windows of my old car to satisfy a "fix-it" ticket.

Bob, $600?!? Wow! No tint job I've ever had done has been over $150 and the installations were all excellent with no issues... but they were all 2 door vehicles.

Tint jobs are an art. Takes some finesse. I leave application to the pros.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Wow, Zach, under $300 for all of your windows was a great price, especially if the installation was excellent. I paid around $600 to do the windows (all except windshield) on my old '14 Mini Cooper. Twice the price for half the car. LOL.

I used a steamer before like stated above worked great.

But $600 for tint?!?!? That is insane! They got over on you big time for that i'd be pissed in every way possible. I paid $175 for my windows minus windshield.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I use a heat gun, to remove the tint , and goofoff for the glue.
I have had my windows tinted in all of my cars, and truck.
The most expensive was my coupe ,because of the compound curves.
200.00 bucks .

Users who are viewing this thread