How to tell 26 spline or 10?

isonews

Established Member
i currently have a McLeod twin disc clutch in my Car that is gone. Is there anyway I can tell if it's 26 spline or 10 spline without dropping the trans ?

IllCobra

Established Member
Are you replacing your clutch? If you are, you're going to have to drop the trans anyway. I don't think there is a way to know if you have a 10 or 26 spline without visually looking at the thing, but someone with more mechanical experience will know for sure.

zredfire04

Established Member
i wish there was a way other than dropping the trans, but there's not one that i know of. i'm curious about what my car has in it too because i'm building a trans to replace the shot out one that's in it and the new trans has a 26 spline input shaft.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Possibly if your lucky you can open the clutch inspection cover, use a mirror on a stick and reach way up there and count the splines, but even that is a stretch. Out of the car it is as easy as pie to tell.

zredfire04

Established Member
mine's up on jackstands right now...maybe i'll see if i can stick a mirror in mine to see if anything is visible. i really doubt it.

actually counting the splines isn't going to happen...but i know what a 10 spline looks like.

Soap

Established Member
Even with a mirror it is impossible. The splines go into the clutch disk so there is nothing to see. The rest of the spline is covered by the throw out bearing sleeve.

You have to drop the trans.

--Joe

svt_snapp

Established Member
I recently ran into this same issue. I bought a 26 spline RXT clutch. I knew my car had a spec clutch but the previous owner was unsure what spline it was. I tried everything to figure out without pulling the trans but no luck. I even borrowed a camera from Autozone to try and look up in there but best I can tell you have to pull the trans. Clutch is going in this weekend so I guess I will know soon.

Users who are viewing this thread