I Got Rid of 1st - 2nd Shift Grind on 2012 GT500 --- Here is a Road Map

Brute

Established Member
Well, Ford Corporate came through. Short story, there is a Ford Customer Relations contact person on www.allfordmustangs.com named Deysha. In a nutshell, Deysha assigns you to one of her subordinates, accelerates the complaint and resolution process, and works with the local Ford dealership to complete the repair process promptly. She will likely want to confirm that your mileage is under 30K and have you deliver your car to a Ford dealership. Ford spent over $1,500 in transmission parts alone to repair the grind issue in my car, a problem that was periodic in nature when I was on the track or doing Autocross. The service manager took my car out and confirmed the grind with spirited driving. Then they examined the physical evidence. Then Ford authorized the repairs.

It made me glad that I am doing business with Ford.

I have heard some say ... get an aftermarket shifter. I already had a great Barton shifter installed and the grind problem remained. That is not the proper repair as far as my experience.

I do have a recommendation, however. Don't go to a hostile dealership (like Drew Ford in San Diego). Try to find a cooperative one (like Fuller Ford in Chula Vista).

Gearhead-FMC

Established Member
I also live in San Diego.... Yes Drew Ford is hit/miss.

I only occasionally have the grind....seemingly from 2nd to 3rd. I was just thinking that I did not press clutch all the way....

Maybe should hit up Fuller...

Good to have working, I'll bet!

Brute

Established Member
My service writer at Fuller was a good guy. His name was Aaron Aguilera.

Brute

Established Member
Below (from allfordmustang) is an example of how approachable Deysha is:

Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc
Hey fast&crooked and tjys,

I recommend you make appointments with your Ford dealers for diagnosis. Then please message me with your contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealer so I can escalate this for you.

Deysha

Appointment made at Omera Ford in colorado. Vin1zvbp8js3b5125693. approx 7000 mi. The fix I have seen on other sites is:
ar3z-7124-aa synchronizer a
7r3z-7107-a ring tr 1st
ar3z-7107-a ring syncro
7r3z-7a082-b kit washers
7r3z-7a082-a kit transm c
1r3z-7l082-aa insert gear
b-101 cleaner
ta-30 sealent
xt-5-qm fluid trans

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
Well, Ford Corporate came through. Short story, there is a Ford Customer Relations contact person on www.allfordmustangs.com named Deysha. In a nutshell, Deysha assigns you to one of her subordinates, accelerates the complaint and resolution process, and works with the local Ford dealership to complete the repair process promptly. ...

Hey there, Brute!

My name is Ashley and I'm the new Ford Service rep assigned to this forum. I can't hold a candle to how awesome and fantastic Deysha is, but I'll do my best to help out around here in the same way she does on AllFordMustangs. ;)

I also live in San Diego.... Yes Drew Ford is hit/miss.

I only occasionally have the grind....seemingly from 2nd to 3rd. I was just thinking that I did not press clutch all the way. ...

Gearhead-FMC,

Let me know if you decide to head to the dealer to have them take a look. I'll lend you a hand. :)

Ashley

Gearhead-FMC

Established Member
Thanks Ashley....

I live out in El Cajon.... So Drew Ford is very near my home. Any chance to have any luck --- especially if there is some history-- using those guys?

Brute

Established Member
Gearhead. A word of advice from a guy who grew up in East County. Stay clear of Drew. In my opinion, they are terrible after I tried repeatedly to develop a business relationship as a customer. In my opinion, the service manager is not workmanlike, arrogant, and a waste of time based on more than one contact with him. Fuller was great and worth the drive. Fuller also gave me faith in Ford, as did Deysha's team. I don't want to say I told you so down the line if you elect to go to Drew. I have no dog in the fight, so to speak.

TexasShelby

Established Member
My Dad even hated Drew Ford back in the 60's when I was growing up there.
I have the same problem here in Midland, the dealership is a POS. But my selling dealership about 115 miles away, without question replaced my slipping clutch and input shaft, when that did not fix it completely, they replaced the flywheel, clutch assy and TRANSMISSION with the newest production model. No questions asked. That's why I do business with Ford. My local dealership wanted to charge me $480 just to see why it was slipping, and I had the TSB in my hand, pleading with them not to do this. Now Rogers Ford in Midland Texas only gets by selling cars to the uninformed and idiots who pay their high prices. A fellow rolled up one night at a Sonic we were all gathered, got out of his "Renegade" Mustang and came over to me and a couple other Shelby owners. It didn't take him long to let us know just how expensive his car was. He paid 51K for an 08 GT with 20s, different mufflers and a two tone paint job. And guess where he got it from. He had to repeat the, "this is a collectors car, they only made a handful of them" salesman spew. Kinda felt sorry for him. To this day, I'll drive 30 extra miles each way to go to a good dealership instead of Rogers Ford. I actually know one of their top commercial fleet customers that took his personal pick up in for an oil change and someone stole a pistol that was locked in the console, and they did nothing. So it pays to forge a good relationship with your service mrg.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
... Drew Ford is very near my home. Any chance to have any luck --- especially if there is some history-- using those guys?

Hi Gearhead,

I haven't heard any of these complaints before now, so I wouldn't necessarily be worried about it. You can always swing by and describe your concern and see what they have to say. If it doesn't work out, there are other dealers nearby who you can visit for a second opinion.

Gearhead. A word of advice from a guy who grew up in East County. Stay clear of Drew...

My Dad even hated Drew Ford back in the 60's when I was growing up there...

Brute and TexasShelby,

I'm sorry to hear that your dealer experiences have been less-than-stellar. If you'd like me to document your feedback for the dealer to review, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, and mileage.

Ashley

Brute

Established Member
I am grateful that Ashley is here and that Ford is trying to help us enjoy our Ford experience. However, I believe that it is inappropriate for Ashley to re-assure you to head to Drew Ford so quickly and to dismiss the nature and quality of my significant complaints re Drew Ford with the comment of "I haven't heard any of these complaints before now, so I wouldn't necessarily be worried about it" so quickly without out attempting to research the issue further, including a simple telephone call to me or others. I have, in fact, documented my complaints regarding Drew Ford and have not heard a response from Ford Customer service yet. (Again Ford Customer Service was excellent re my GT500 repair but has been non-responsive regarding my serious and safety related complaints re Drew Ford).

In my opinion, the Drew Ford managing agent and his subordinates are problems and documenting the feedback again for a prospective frivolous "I am sorry and we will look into it, but..." comment is without merit and dismissive. The nature of my work is to cross-examine folks like these, and I tend to be able to identify the problem with reasonable speed. In my opinion, the concept that a fish rots from the head down applies to Drew Ford.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
This is a helpful thread, but why is it in Revan Racing?

BTW, Veterans Ford in Metairie, LA replaced my transmission under warranty a few weeks ago for the 1-2 grind. I told them the conditions, they duplicated them and ordered the parts. Great service. My advisor is James.

musclefan21

Established Member
why under 30k miles? i am at 30,400 miles and i was under the impression the power train warranty is until 60k miles or 5 years....

10 sec L

Established Member
This is just great reading these posts.............

My '14 GT500 feels terrible going into second. I know that's not a mechanical description, but it just feels chitty.
Iam thinking/hoping its just new and needs to "wear-in"
Car is a month old with 700 miles so far.

The funny part is, if you shift above 3K, its smooth as silk
Shift into 2nd at 2000/2400, it just feels like chit

Users who are viewing this thread