I have a moral dilemma with leaving my job..

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
So I’ve been at a Nissan dealer for 4 years and I’ve been commuting 60 miles each way. This dealership trained me and I love the people I work with. But I want to leave so I am closer to home and I am getting heavily underpaid and havnt had a raise in the 4 years I’ve been there. So, I posted my resume online and got a call from a local Honda dealer. Had the interview today and they offered me the job. My schedule is virtually the same but my pay will be more than double what I’m getting now. I took the job and said I’ll give my two week notice to my current employer. The GM said “I admire you want to put in your two weeks but we need you by Friday” so 2 days notice instead of 2 weeks. Is it wrong that I’m not giving any notice? Should I not take the job because of this? My issue is that I feel like I owe them cause they trained me. But, on the other hand I’m getting dog shit for pay. And they just fired a good advisor for no reason at all and didn’t give him any warning. So I feel like I should return the favor and not care that I don’t give notice. What does SVTP think?

Zemedici

Established Member
No raise in 4 ****ing years!!?? Shit on the floor and hit the door!

FWIW in customer facing sales roles, they will probably walk you as soon as you give notice.

This.....

up to you @Mpoitrast87, but you've been venting about this place for a while. They'll get by without you just fine. Just remember about burning bridges...

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
You have to do what's best for you.

I understand that you want to do right by your current since they trained you but it doesn't sound like they share the same sentimemt towards you. Yeah they may treat you right but please and thank you doesn't pay the rent.

Thank your current for the opportunity, training, etc., and tell them you wanted to give them two weeks but your new employer need you immediately.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Explain the offer to your boss. Maybe they will beat the deal. Honestly, the time lost in commute looks to be about 2 unpaid hours a day plus gas and wear and tear on vehicles.
Being closer to family is a big ass bonus in itself. Think about your family and yourself.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
So I’ve been at a Nissan dealer for 4 years and I’ve been commuting 60 miles each way. This dealership trained me and I love the people I work with. But I want to leave so I am closer to home and I am getting heavily underpaid and havnt had a raise in the 4 years I’ve been there. So, I posted my resume online and got a call from a local Honda dealer. Had the interview today and they offered me the job. My schedule is virtually the same but my pay will be more than double what I’m getting now. I took the job and said I’ll give my two week notice to my current employer. The GM said “I admire you want to put in your two weeks but we need you by Friday” so 2 days notice instead of 2 weeks. Is it wrong that I’m not giving any notice? Should I not take the job because of this? My issue is that I feel like I owe them cause they trained me. But, on the other hand I’m getting dog shit for pay. And they just fired a good advisor for no reason at all and didn’t give him any warning. So I feel like I should return the favor and not care that I don’t give notice. What does SVTP think?
You don't owe them shit. esp if you have been there 4 years that more than pays for your training. give them the two days and move on.

Congrats! I'd put in a call to honda accepting the job, but then briefly explain how you'd prefer to give slightly more advanced notice to nissan if possible, see what the options are.
No to the HELL NO on this

sounds like the current place really sucks but personally I also find it a little odd the new dealer can't seem to respect your desire to so right by the current employer.
doing right by the current employer does not include 2 weeks notice anymore.

Back in the day you didn't dare leave without giving two weeks. it was the norm and expected because there was loyalty between employer and employee. MOST employers valued their employees, and treated them right. Now employees are looked at as an expendable commodity and no employer loyalty toward them exists in 90% of the companies out there. they will fire you at the drop of a hat and a lot of them if you give them two weeks they will walk you out the door the day you give notice. they just don't give a shit. so employees owe their employer jack when it comes to the giving of notice. Frankly I would still give the two weeks if I could but if a new employer said they needed me in two days, I would be there in two days

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Explain the offer to your boss. Maybe they will beat the deal. Honestly, the time lost in commute looks to be about 2 unpaid hours a day plus gas and wear and tear on vehicles.
Being closer to family is a big ass bonus in itself. Think about your family and yourself.
This is a big selling point. I’ve done the math. I’d save over $320 a month just in gas

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
This is a big selling point. I’ve done the math. I’d save over $320 a month just in gas
I would take the deal and expect problems getting that last check. Sounds like you will make it up in one pay period. Thank your current boss for putting faith and trust in you. You do not have to discuss the pay increase. Just tell them you want to be closer to home and family. If they ask about pay you can tell them or just say it was a significant pay raise too.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Congrats! I'd put in a call to honda accepting the job, but then briefly explain how you'd prefer to give slightly more advanced notice to nissan if possible, see what the options are.
Honda made it pretty clear they won’t give me the job if I don’t show up in two days.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Granted I can only speak from a sales perspective and only one time, but dealerships don't take kindly losing an employee to another dealership. Direct competitor or otherwise. So your two week notice, unless you are truly specialized, is your walking papers (sometimes same day).

Good luck either way!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Honda made it pretty clear they won’t give me the job if I don’t show up in two days.
Brother, as a tech in the trenches on the daily, go to Honda. Now, understand, if they have such a big hard on about you getting in there right the hell now and damn giving notice to your current employer, go in eyes WIDE open.

Im not saying it wont be better, but Im not saying it couldn't be worse. Its 100% possible their balls are in the vice for CSI and they need someone experience to get in there and handle the work volume coming through the service drive. Then again that could be because they have a revolving door themselves.

Work for the brand and for the customer. Your relationship with the dealer will fall in line. Unless its a Van Tuyl (Berkshire Hathaway) dealer. Then youre just ****ed man... lol

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I doubt they will counter-offer, but if they do, I'd probably pass on it. A buddy of mine used to work in sales for Seatrax (offshore cranes), he got a better offer elsewhere and gave Seatrax two weeks notice. Well Seatrax ownership|mgmt countered and they talked him into staying. I guess they had a change of heart, the next day he had no computer, network access and every one was giving him the 3rd degree. His boss called him into his office to question his loyalty etc....Fortunately my buddy hadn't told the other company his decision yet, so he bailed on Seatrax

Users who are viewing this thread