I have gone to the dark side.

budman5023

Established Member
So the truck was completely useless in winter even with winter tires. I had two small crashes trying to get up a hill from a stop light. I bounced off a curb and slide back into someone's brush guard. No damage to the other guys truck, I just dented my rear bumper, no big deal. I didn't even make it a mile from the house. So I came across an all original 2002 subaru impreza 2.5rs 5 speed. I paid $4000 for it 120000 miles on the clock. Seemed in good condition especially the interior unfortunately I couldn't look at it to much do to working during Christmas and new years. It had no leaks so the first thing I did was change all the fluids with Subaru fluids and I was good to go, or so I thought. So for the next 2 months it started to shit the bed. Bearings in the rear end started making noise, brake rotors were bent at right angles, stereo stopped working, starting pulling hard to the right at highway speeds, strong gas smell, etc. I was done with it.
Now I live in an apartment complex and work a lot, I don't have time to keep doing auto repairs and didn't want to pay someone to do it either so a new car was in order. I thought about turning it into a track day car but said screw that. I was looking at several vehicles. F150 supercrew 4x4 5.0, fusion sport, svt raptor, SHO, RS. I had a 2013 focus ST and loved it but I wanted awd. I had a 2010 SHO and loved that but the gas mileage wasn't great, it was really heavy and I have to have a manual transmission. So I went to the local Ford dealer and talked to several dealers over the phone and I couldnt find a combo I liked. F150 was to much at $48k, same with an older 6.2 raptor, fusion sport has no manual transmission as well as the SHO, RS was too much as well but more of a reason was dealer wasn't willing to deal which I understand and the head gasket issue.
I then had a rethink. I want something that has been proven time and time again. I also wanted a true awd or selectable 4wd and no part time stuff. How about symmetrical awd or Quattro(which I know little about either)? So I went to a Subaru dealer and looked around a bit and I know you guys know where I am heading with this. The WRXs and STIs. I sat in a dark blue WRX and went for a test drive and fell in love. I didn't even go to Audi or try the STI. After little negotiation, I walked out the door with a 2018 base WRX 6speed for around $25k. Wow! I think I got a hell of a deal. I had enough left over to do extra oem wheels and winter tires, upgraded speakers, a couple accessories, and later on after break in, intake, full exhaust, and tune. I am excited about the new car but really wanted a ford. I really loved the fusion sport but NO MANUAL TRANSMISSION. I would put one in my truck if it was 4x4 and I wanted to throw more money away. I do like autos in trucks or bigger vehicles but not sports cars. I will try and get a picture when I get it all cleaned up. Oh, I also went out and bought a vape pen because that is what you are supposed to do, right? Sorry Ford. Any other fun awd manual cars out there for around $30k-$35k? I know its to late but I am curious what everyone can come up with.

Osiris

Established Member
The Golf R is probably the best choice behind the RS in this class if you want new, but there is always preowned.

A clean, low mile RS can be had for about 33-35k now.

The HG issue is being resolved by Ford now. Quite a few have already been fixed....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

budman5023

Established Member
Still didn't have a chance a wash the car but I found a pic the day I picked it up.

Attachments

• image_mms_img24528084_1517697569451.jpg
    image_mms_img24528084_1517697569451.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 229

budman5023

Established Member
I am just waiting on this snow and road grime to stop so I can get a wash.
Pics.

And what’s the difference between the WRX and STI?
I think the STI has an adjustable drivetrain, a 2.5L instead of a 2L, and an optional giant wing. Some other things like stiffer suspension but that is all I may or may not know.
The Golf R is probably the best choice behind the RS in this class if you want new, but there is always preowned.

A clean, low mile RS can be had for about 33-35k now.

The HG issue is being resolved by Ford now. Quite a few have already been fixed....

I thought about a pre owned RS but I was just presented with a deal I couldn't pass up. I thought the golf r was dgs? And I did hear Ford is fixing there mishap no questions asked which is very nice of them if they can get the RS owners a loaner and fixed in a timely manner.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
I thought about a pre owned RS but I was just presented with a deal I couldn't pass up. I thought the golf r was dgs? And I did hear Ford is fixing there mishap no questions asked which is very nice of them if they can get the RS owners a loaner and fixed in a timely manner.

which they are NOT doing. all the parts for the HG issue are on back order. it's a big joke. congrats on the WRX, i am regretting buying the RS instead of a STi.

Osiris

Established Member
Yeah, the process is not going well. I don't think Ford was prepared for everyone who owns these cars reacting so quickly.

I'm not as upset about it. It is what it is. It hasn't stopped me from driving it, and I'm still really into the thing...It's an awesome car.

Never_Enough

Established Member
which they are NOT doing. all the parts for the HG issue are on back order. it's a big joke. congrats on the WRX, i am regretting buying the RS instead of a STi.
Meh, STi is loooooooooong overdue for a HP bump. Not enough car for the $.

Osiris

Established Member
Meh, STi is loooooooooong overdue for a HP bump. Not enough car for the $.
As cool as they are, I agree in the respect that it seems Subaru has really rode the wave of this car's popularity a little too long...I see the new one coming out will carry some nice suspension bits and such but also have a $50k sticker.

On the same token, Ford is launching a Heritage Edition RS with a 20h/26tq bump in power for the same price. (For the UK only so far)

It'll be up to the sales to see what people want most...

Never_Enough

Established Member
As cool as they are, I agree in the respect that it seems Subaru has really rode the wave of this car's popularity a little too long...I see the new one coming out will carry some nice suspension bits and such but also have a $50k sticker.

On the same token, Ford is launching a Heritage Edition RS with a 20h/26tq bump in power for the same price. (For the UK only so far)

It'll be up to the sales to see what people want most...

The heritage RS is orange so that alone sells me lol. Even if I were in the market, I could never justify $50k for an STi. I'd rather keep my MS6 TBH. I guess I'm too old for the boy racer look.

Osiris

Established Member
i agree. however, the resale value of the STi can't be denied. and the RS value has absolutely tanked!
The HG issue didn't help much, but once that blows over itll change. The RS is not coming back next year. I would expect values to start plateauing once inventory thins out. The capabilities of the car speak for themselves.

Subaru's resale isn't built on the STi or even WRX, it's built on the milennial-focused AWD suv/crossover craze that the WRX/STi are benefitting from.

Osiris

Established Member
The heritage RS is orange so that alone sells me lol. Even if I were in the market, I could never justify $50k for an STi. I'd rather keep my MS6 TBH. I guess I'm too old for the boy racer look.
I miss my MS6 sometimes...I should have kept it, but it was starting to get expensive in regards to maintenance lol

Never_Enough

Established Member
I miss my MS6 sometimes...I should have kept it, but it was starting to get expensive in regards to maintenance lol

What happened & @ what mileage? I'm at 88k. No VVT or smoking turbo problems as of yet. Even if I did, a $1k repair bill is still cheaper than a new car payment. Although I want to ditch Jetta & get a nicer fast DD or just daily the MS6, but I also want a new weekend toy too. Decisions decisions!

Osiris

Established Member
What happened & @ what mileage? I'm at 88k. No VVT or smoking turbo problems as of yet. Even if I did, a $1k repair bill is still cheaper than a new car payment. Although I want to ditch Jetta & get a nicer fast DD or just daily the MS6, but I also want a new weekend toy too. Decisions decisions!
I had about 67k on it when I sold it. Did all the fluids, brakes, etc. The VVT thing happened to me 1500 miles over Mazda's limit for repair and they wouldn't help me. That turned me off pretty quick. I got it fixed and kept the car but in the end it just became time for a change. I bought the car new and kept it 7 years.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I had about 67k on it when I sold it. Did all the fluids, brakes, etc. The VVT thing happened to me 1500 miles over Mazda's limit for repair and they wouldn't help me. That turned me off pretty quick. I got it fixed and kept the car but in the end it just became time for a change. I bought the car new and kept it 7 years.

If that's all that happened, it doesn't sound like a bad experience. I get the time for a change thing. This is my 2nd MS6. Bought my 1st new & had it for 3 years. I've had this one for 5 years. Have way too much time & money in it, but if I get my price I'll let it go. Problem is finding something else I'd like as much.

Osiris

Established Member
Oh no, there was more than that, but those items didn't sour me on the car. In fact, even Mazda being a D-Bag about it didn't make me hate it or anything, I was just ready to get something else, and newer. I knew I'd have to start putting more and more money into it and felt like it was best for me to get something newer. I picked up a '14 FoST after that. Fun car....I really miss that one too. Which is very much why I bought the RS over a year ago.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Oh no, there was more than that, but those items didn't sour me on the car. In fact, even Mazda being a D-Bag about it didn't make me hate it or anything, I was just ready to get something else, and newer. I knew I'd have to start putting more and more money into it and felt like it was best for me to get something newer. I picked up a '14 FoST after that. Fun car....I really miss that one too. Which is very much why I bought the RS over a year ago.
Care to share your pros & cons of the MS6 vs the ST? FWD really turns me off of them.

Users who are viewing this thread