I have gone to the dark side.

Osiris

Established Member
Faster, more responsive handling...Power mods really wake it up.
Styling, updated tech inside/out, better mileage.

I definitely favor AWD over FWD but remember, the MS6 is FWD biased anyhow. You only get so much of a split in certain situations. I also autocross a bit, and the MS6 isn't the best at it, whereas the ST is a blast.

If I still had mine, I'd probably hang on to it also. They're cool cars that one day might have some intrinsic value (they sure went soft in the market when new!), but the ST is a more enjoyable drive from a performance perspective. The RS amplifies that even more.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Faster, more responsive handling...Power mods really wake it up.
Styling, updated tech inside/out, better mileage.

I definitely favor AWD over FWD but remember, the MS6 is FWD biased anyhow. You only get so much of a split in certain situations. I also autocross a bit, and the MS6 isn't the best at it, whereas the ST is a blast.

If I still had mine, I'd probably hang on to it also. They're cool cars that one day might have some intrinsic value (they sure went soft in the market when new!), but the ST is a more enjoyable drive from a performance perspective. The RS amplifies that even more.
Did you mod the MS6? I have gone FBO (except for down pipe) + tune & added CS lowering springs & Bilstein shocks + a bunch of other crap. I wonder how it would stack up on a course vs an ST.

Osiris

Established Member
Did you mod the MS6? I have gone FBO (except for down pipe) + tune & added CS lowering springs & Bilstein shocks + a bunch of other crap. I wonder how it would stack up on a course vs an ST.
Nope. Only CP-E's CAI. Made the car sound like an angry vacuum cleaner haha

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Balt21

Established Member
Congrats on the WRX, you will enjoy it. I daily a 2016 STi and have no complaints.

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
Do yourself a favor and join the NASIOC forum. And do an EGR delete IMMEDIATELY. FA20DIT is a good motor but is a ticking time bomb over 400awhp. You can run e85 with the stock fuel system since it’s Direct injection.

I purchased a new 18 wrx and had it 6 months and traded it in, fortunately i got out at the right time, the 18s were still hot and in demand. Needed a truck for work and it got old quick borrowing my dads. WRX was very expensive to mod. What started out for me as a stock DD turned in to a 409whp and 396awtq build on e85

VERY expensive to mod - had to add that again lol
-Full MAP Turbo back exhaust
-Catless J pipe
-MAP intake
- Torque Solution TGV/EGR delete
-Turbo XS Front mount intercooler
- grimmspeed 3 port boost controller
- Boomba BPV
- ICS lower control arms
-H&R SS springs
-Perrin oil restrictor
- Cobb access port
- Cobb E85 flex fuel kit
- Tuned by Mike at REVworks

The car was fun. Walked all over STI, Focus RS and Type R civics.

Wouldn’t do it again. Clutch didn’t like the power. Several thousand dollars spent to make a shitty 400hp. Do yourself a favor and don’t mod the car.

View attachment 1466741View attachment 1466742View attachment 1466743
View attachment 1466745

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
25k for a new WRX? That is an awesome deal, they hold their value very well. 2 years ago I put about 1000 miles on a 12 WRX. Brutal power is fun. So is usable, capable power. The new ones are a nice jump forward on interior quality. If insurance was reasonable I would buy one.

budman5023

Established Member
Good discussions guys.
Congrats on the WRX, you will enjoy it. I daily a 2016 STi and have no complaints.
Thanks. I do enjoy loads of grip, a functional hood scoop, and something about that wing looks really good. But I do miss over steer. Fishtailing a city block in a old 5000lb Screw freaks some people out.
Do yourself a favor and join the NASIOC forum. And do an EGR delete IMMEDIATELY. FA20DIT is a good motor but is a ticking time bomb over 400awhp. You can run e85 with the stock fuel system since it’s Direct injection.

I purchased a new 18 wrx and had it 6 months and traded it in, fortunately i got out at the right time, the 18s were still hot and in demand. Needed a truck for work and it got old quick borrowing my dads. WRX was very expensive to mod. What started out for me as a stock DD turned in to a 409whp and 396awtq build on e85

VERY expensive to mod - had to add that again lol
-Full MAP Turbo back exhaust
-Catless J pipe
-MAP intake
- Torque Solution TGV/EGR delete
-Turbo XS Front mount intercooler
- grimmspeed 3 port boost controller
- Boomba BPV
- ICS lower control arms
-H&R SS springs
-Perrin oil restrictor
- Cobb access port
- Cobb E85 flex fuel kit
- Tuned by Mike at REVworks

The car was fun. Walked all over STI, Focus RS and Type R civics.

Wouldn’t do it again. Clutch didn’t like the power. Several thousand dollars spent to make a shitty 400hp. Do yourself a favor and don’t mod the car.

View attachment 1466741View attachment 1466742View attachment 1466743
View attachment 1466745

Thanks for the advice. I planed on leaving it mostly stock. I am really trying. Just an intake, tune, short throw shift,(ohhh when does it end?!) and either a catback or turbo back I just want a little more of a rumble from the exhaust. Maybe a power stop brake kit down the line and some sti wheels.
I looked at a new truck and was floored by how much they are.

budman5023

Established Member
25k for a new WRX? That is an awesome deal, they hold their value very well. 2 years ago I put about 1000 miles on a 12 WRX. Brutal power is fun. So is usable, capable power. The new ones are a nice jump forward on interior quality. If insurance was reasonable I would buy one.
I knew I couldn't pass it up. The interior is not as bad as the 13 or 14 I looked at when I was looking at a fost. The interior reminds me of the fost that might not be saying much but its familiar and I like both interiors.

budman5023

Established Member
What do you need the manual for? asking in reference to the Fusion Sport.
Well I am starting to ask myself that same question driving in Denver traffic. It is horrible. I miss New Orleans and Baton Rouge traffic. Sacramento wasn't even this bad. I just really like manual transmissions. Except when I had to drive a f250 diesel 5 speed. What kind of mileage do you get? How wonderful is the magnetic ride suspension? I couldn't really get a sense of the car when I test drove it for the limited time the salesmen let me. The Subaru salesman wanted me to push it. He said the car will sell itself. The Ford salesman was a lot more resistant and no Ford dealer was looking to deal. I was thinking that might have been a part why I went with Subaru or I might be tripping. I really liked everything about the car except only 2 things transmission and not true awd(which I might be wrong about the awd, the salesmen don't seem to know what they are selling) which the wrx has. A bit more power from the wrx would be nice but it is still pretty quick. I still might consider a fusion sport in the future. If they come out with a 6 speed, TAKE MY WRX PLEASE, GIMME MY FORD. Maybe a 2020 if there are no problems like the RS or I might get tired of the 6 speed. I will want updates how your car does. Got a pic?

Osiris

Established Member
Well...I just made a choice....for my wife.

The RS is going away. I'm picking up a '17 MKZ Black Label with the 3.0 AWD for her.

I'm sure we'll both love the luxury that comes with those cars, and when I drive it, I'm sure I'll love the 400h/400tq

:)

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
To properly set the car up with full bolt ons is upward of $4500. These cars are very quirky with OTS maps so a custom tune is a must. Also if your looking for that Subaru rumble from the exhaust the FA20 doesn’t have it. That rumble came from the STIs unequal length headers which have been redesigned for the FA20. And if you delete the cats, the car will smoke like hell, the loss of back pressure causes the factory turbo seals to leak a bit of oil. Perrin has designed a fix for this. I ran it a prototype my car and it does work.
I didn’t have any issues with my car when I had it but I have heard from several people Subaru plays NO games when it comes to warranty work and mods. They see it was tuned, your done. Plenty of people with blown motors on the NASIOC forum to verify that lol enjoy the car its certainly fun for what it is.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member

The RS is going away. I'm picking up a '17 MKZ Black Label with the 3.0 AWD for her.

I'm sure we'll both love the luxury that comes with those cars, and when I drive it, I'm sure I'll love the 400h/400tq

If she's not happy with the power, livernois has a tune with your name on it :cool:

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
That's accurate, had several MS6's 3 of them being HEAVILY modded and none of the exhaust combos were appealing. I LOVE those cars but the fuel system was the main limiting factor. I had one with a built motor, BT, driveline upgrades, and worked suspension that made 386 whp/371 wtq and that bitch was FUN to drive! But the aftermarket is FAR superior with a scooby and those things sound as good as a 4 cylinder can when they're piped and cammed.

Nope. Only CP-E's CAI. Made the car sound like an angry vacuum cleaner haha

Osiris

Established Member
If she's not happy with the power, livernois has a tune with your name on it :cool:
This...is what I wanted to hear....

There is a reason I wouldn't budge on the engine/driveline option, haha

budman5023

Established Member

Nice choice!
To properly set the car up with full bolt ons is upward of $4500. These cars are very quirky with OTS maps so a custom tune is a must. Also if your looking for that Subaru rumble from the exhaust the FA20 doesn’t have it. That rumble came from the STIs unequal length headers which have been redesigned for the FA20. And if you delete the cats, the car will smoke like hell, the loss of back pressure causes the factory turbo seals to leak a bit of oil. Perrin has designed a fix for this. I ran it a prototype my car and it does work.
I didn’t have any issues with my car when I had it but I have heard from several people Subaru plays NO games when it comes to warranty work and mods. They see it was tuned, your done. Plenty of people with blown motors on the NASIOC forum to verify that lol enjoy the car its certainly fun for what it is.

Thanks for the tip. I don't plan on modding this car much. Definitly not deleting the cats. Maybe just a drop in K&N and a Subaru performance cat back and short throw shift. A stereo, sti brakes, some Michelin PSS and some other "Subaru" accessories.

Osiris

Established Member
Getting excited...
a869f6bd391f8dc1929050b9950ca747.jpg

Never_Enough

Established Member
That's accurate, had several MS6's 3 of them being HEAVILY modded and none of the exhaust combos were appealing. I LOVE those cars but the fuel system was the main limiting factor. I had one with a built motor, BT, driveline upgrades, and worked suspension that made 386 whp/371 wtq and that bitch was FUN to drive! But the aftermarket is FAR superior with a scooby and those things sound as good as a 4 cylinder can when they're piped and cammed.
I don't find the MS6 exhaust note to be bad for a turbo 4. I have a single exit Cp-E CBE w/gutted 2nd cat on mine. I had the same, but with no muffler on my previous MS6 & that was too loud so I went with the muffler add on this time.

Speed Perf6rmanc3
has a 500 AWHP capable motor for the MS6 for $5k. I'm just bolt-ons with stock turbo @ 18psi. Thinking about mixing in a little E85 & a retune for an extra 30 or so hp/tq. Cheap & easy power. Agree on the aftermarket being better for Subaru. ;) I doubt I will get my let it go price so I'll keep the MS6. Not giving it away. Maybe one day I'll get it over 400 AWHP if I ever stop playing with other cars & dump $ into it. ;) I think it's time to try something else, though.

Users who are viewing this thread