I keep popping the FRPS!!!

DRK HRS

Established Member
So my '03 Mach 1 keeps popping the fuel rail pressure sensor every few days after my latest upgrades. It's got a Cobra short block and is Procharged, with an 03/04 Cobra tank swap + KB BAP (40 amp) and 60# injectors. Making 486 rwhp right now, can't seem to get any more out of the P1SC.

The recent upgrades I'm talking about specifically though include smaller blower pulley, larger crank pulley, and an alternator underdrive pulley to keep that from overspinning.

The strangest part is that it only pops the sensor at idle... it happened once as I shut the car off, and the second time it happened 2 seconds after I started it.

Any ideas? This is driving me nuts.

MG0h3

Established Member
Weird. Getting a fuel pressure spike when the pumps cycle on or off then Id guess. Were you able to see the fuel pressure when it happened?

DRK HRS

Established Member
No, I don't have a gauge for FP and I didn't have a data logger hooked up. The car is with my tuner right now, he's trying to figure it out including doing some logging but I thought I'd check SVTP for ideas too.

Might be a tough one to pin down. Could that alternator underdrive pulley be related? Maybe we went a little too big with the pulley and voltage is too low at idle, causing the BAP and computer to do weird stuff to compensate for fueling... like too high a duty cycle when the voltage is low and when the voltage goes back up a bit it spikes before the computer can stop it?

MG0h3

Established Member
I think the bap should smooth the voltage out to the pumps. Possible you have a bad bap I guess.

DRK HRS

Established Member
I did install a burst disc. So far it hasn't popped again, but I only drove it for a day before I took the car back to my tuner to try and figure out the ignition cutout issue I talked about in the other thread on here lol. So, we'll see what happens I guess.

This car's been kind of a nightmare, but I guess that comes along with the territory of modded cars. Hopefully I've got it at 100% in time for spring!

Users who are viewing this thread