I need your help: What should I get 99-04 GT SOHC or S197 3v???

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Well I know my 4vs but I don't know jack about the 2v or especially 3v and the S197. I gotta get back into a V8 Mustang for daily driving and I've done the pushrod thing many times over and the 4v thing many times over. I have a Mach 1 that is a weekend car so this Mustang will strictly be a daily driver that will see some 1/4 runs regularly.

Either car will be a N/A setup with nitrous to back it up. Also it will be a manual trans setup with 4.10-4.30s

With that said my ideas for either are as following...

2v New Edge:
Pros
Timeless looks. I really like the look of the 99-04 Mustang.
No one expects a 2v to run good. I can do HCI and be around 360rwhp plus nitrous.
I'm very familiar with the chassis so it will be easy for me to make it work performance wise.
Cons
Nothing new to me
Interior I've been in since 2001
Not the best motor to try to get power out of

3v S197: (I don't know much about them so I'm winging it)
Pros
Newer and I think a better chassis for anti flexing
Better interior
Better overall motor design
Cons
Looks to me are bleh. It's the weird looking Mustang before the 5.0
No cable throttle or clutch (I much prefer these from a personal performance point of view)
Intake doesn't look as friendly for nitrous

Guys I'm all ears. I do not plan to get another 4v so that is out of the question. Other than that, shoot some ideas and opinions my way.

Recon

Established Member
Very pleased with both of my 3V's. But it sounds like you're more interested in a 2V.

Sent from somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Very pleased with both of my 3V's. But it sounds like you're more interested in a 2V.

What is in your opinion the benefits of the 3V? (Overall car not just motor)

Jaysin

Established Member
I don't have experience with either (only owned a 4V). With that said, I'd go with a 3V, especially if you're keeping the Mach. I'd want some type of variety, and a slightly newer interior and just a new platform to mess with would have me sold. Worst case scenario you don't like it, sell, then go 2V.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Making that kind of power N/A on a 2V is gonna be tough unless times have changed alot since I had mine. Gonna be a pretty wild setup for a daily, and real real expensive. Pretty doubtful it can be done without a built bottom end...

If you want a 2V DD with that kind of power I'd go blower. Probably still be cheaper than a N/A build and a dammed sight more DAD friendly. Either way you can't crack 450 rwhp or so with the stock bottom end not screaming for help.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Making that kind of power N/A on a 2V is gonna be tough unless times have changed alot since I had mine. Gonna be a pretty wild setup for a daily, and real real expensive. Pretty doubtful it can be done without a built bottom end...

If you want a 2V DD with that kind of power I'd go blower. Probably still be cheaper than a N/A build and a dammed sight more DAD friendly. Either way you can't crack 450 rwhp or so with the stock bottom end not screaming for help.

TFS heads have helped out the 2v a lot it seems.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
3V is newer and they are going reasonable. Plenty of go fast parts available.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
OP I'm like you in that I find myself drawn to new edge cars and I just can't seem to get down on the looks of the s197's as much. I like them, just not as much and for that reason I would go 2v. Also save some $ up front too most likely which is good, cause your 2v gonna need it ! :eek:

SirShaun

Established Member
I've enjoyed my 3 valve. Interior is way more comfortable and roomy in comparison to the new edge. On a 100 shot through a zex kit, it holds its own against C5Zs with bolt ons (not H/C/I). General consensus on stock internal limits, seems to be between 450-500whp on the safety net before the rods go.

I've beat on my 3 valve quite a bit, ran 10+ bottles through it. The car had the zex kit on it when I bought it, I doubt it's ever been babied. 130k miles on it and wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country. A little bit of oil getting by the rings between oil changes, not enough to have to add any, but I've noticed it.

Only a few things I'd say to expect.

The leather door panel inserts will start to fall. They make some plastic inserts, on AM, I'm going to look into. I've tried some home remedies to stick them back up, but I'm not happy with the results.

The stock plugs utilize a 3 piece design. If they haven't been changed in awhile, they may very well come out in 3 pieces, pretty scary moment when pieces of the plugs are stuck in the head, so be prepared with the Lisle Spark Plug Removal Tool. I did it by hand, but people have had better luck with an impact on kill, after letting them sit for a few under some penetrating oil. You will be running colder 1 piece plugs anyway for nitrous, so that should eliminate that problem after the first plug change.

Plugs are expensive if an 2005-Mid 2008, Autolite HT0s about $10 a plug. May be able to find something cheaper by now. You will need a special spark plug gapping tool, as the electrode goes all the way accross.

Plug design changed midway through 2008-2010, plugs still expensive lol.

Noisy ass injectors, quite the tick to them. A really loud tick though could mean cam phasers need replaced. Can also do cam phaser lockouts which fully advance or retard the cams eliminating the phasers / variable valve timing.

3v has 2 cams, if you want the lope it's more expensive than a 2 valve.

Overall a solid car/motor. You can make them look good, a lot of aftermarket choices. Never got around to adding the duck tail spoiler, but I think that would finish mine off perfectly.

Mustang Coral Pt. 2.jpg
ColdAssHonkey.jpg

Last edited:

Recon

Established Member
What is in your opinion the benefits of the 3V? (Overall car not just motor)

Well I think it's the best looking mustang excluding the classics. Maybe the reason I like them so much is because they were made to resemble the classics.
It has a better chassis, although you don't have an IRS option like the New Edge does. Has a slightly better engine, you could get some decent power out of one. Not saying you couldn't do the same with a 2V. I'm planning on 600/600 on my F/I 3V, and 350-365rwhp for my N/A 3V. I'll admit I think the 2V sounds better but I still think the 3V is a great sounding engine. On another forum I'm on there's a 3V making 650rwhp on only 9lbs of boost. Interior is slightly better, it still has some plastic in it but it's manageable.
Several people I know say when they went from 2V to 3V they'll never go back. Then later on you can upgrade to a Coyote. Or Coyote swap whatever you get.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Personally I believe the New Edge looks better than the 3Vs up to the 2010s. The 2Vs sound better than the 4Vs. The issue is the TFS heads are expensive. If I were building a 2V I would build a Teksid Block, TFS heads, custom cams, the TFS Intake, and either a Centri or turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread