I need your help: What should I get 99-04 GT SOHC or S197 3v???

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Not sure why you started a thread asking for advice only to ignore all of the advice....

I owned a 2v for something like 12 years. Went from boltons to cams to blower. They are expensive, and dollars vs performance is bad. I spent a ton of money when you add it all up... And ran low 12s in the 115 range. So Bolton coyote food.

If your gonna run a N/A 2v plus nitrous into the 10s you're gonna need a built bottom end and say 525+ WHP.

Just ballparking here you're looking at:

Decent built short block with a few goodies like upgraded oil pump etc (gonna want to spin it to 7000+ rpm). That's about 5000 there. So:

Short block: 5000
Heads 2000
Cams 600
Intake 400
TB/plenum/intake/maf 600?
Exhaust w/LTs 1200~
Fuel injectors 200
Nitrous kit 500-600

So that gets you there on power. Now throw in some slicks/rims, suspension, rebuilt 8.8 with 31 splines. Let's call that another what, 4000?

About then you're gonna shell the t45/3650. Add in a TKO or T56 and a new clutch. Call that 3000.

So you're at nearly 18,000 dollars in mods alone on a car worth maybe 8-10 grand. And this isn't even fully modded with things like coilovers, upgraded brakes, tubular K, and all the little things you end up doing to a car. A car that drives like complete ass on the street, with bad street manners, a heavy cam(s) and frankly one that, assuming as a DD you're gonna put plenty of miles on, won't be all that reliable. Oh, on top of that any blown it nitrous coyote/Camaro etc is going to walk all over on the street even when spraying, as even with 500+ WHP it's going to be counting alot on a very good 60' to secure that 10 second slip. Oh, AND unless you can find a crazy buyer with cash the car with be nearly impossible to sell for more than blue book.

I looked at going to the "next step" on my car with a built motor and more boost etc. It's just a loosing game with a 2v, way too much money for too little result. That's why you don't see them around, why nobody really builds them.

BTW, you mentioned 3100 pounds, a 300-400 pound drop depending on the specific car. So now you're going to DD the car with a stripped interior, little to no radio, no A/C, etc etc? Why?

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
If you like the New Edge looks, I have a buddy of mine here in Va with a stock 2004 Mach 1 for sale for $10,500. Less than 16,000 miles.

I have owned a few s197 3v.... There are parts and tech everywhere for them. I like the looks a bit more, and they repond very well to cams and LTs.

Last edited:

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I didn't read through all pages but from what I did read, why not get a 11-12 coyote? great power and drivability and are coming down in price.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
im not sure why you posted this thread. seems like you want a 2v new edge and really dont like 3v lol.

for a DD, 3v is way better imo. way more comfy and less nvh. you can get plenty of take off gt500 parts for pretty cheap. right out of the box, stock for stock theyre quicker, handle better, stop better and im sure get better mpg.

if youre going to sink $ into either one to make it quicker, yeah id probably just find a cheap coyote. Ford really hasnt seemed to be making any steps backwards. certainly not in the motor department.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
OP, I've had a 97 mustang but swapped in a 2003 5.4 2V into it but never owned the 99-04 Mustang GT (since 03 Cobra wouldn’t count). But I also owned a 2005 Mustang GT back in 06. Saw where you mentioned a 3V with 4.30's. I actually had that at one point and all I can say is A. No to 4.30's. Or B. Get 4.30's but you need cams to extend the rpms/power range. I had the basic bolt on's and 4.30's, max rwhp on the dyno was around 5500 or 5600 rpms. Fun as hell. 1st gear was useless and I could take off in second gear like it was first. Had a friend behind me one day and he was in his 04 V6 Mustang. I took off at the light pretty good with a little WOT. When we got to work he said " yeah yeah..i know your car can beat mine". That's when I said..."yeah but I took off in second gear". He was speechless. Anyway...but since 4.30's top out in 4th gear at around 108mph, that can really suck at times. Def threw off my 1/4 runs since I had to trap in 5th gear or bury it in the red in 4th gear. Eventually went with 3.73's and it was better but then I did the comp cams stage 3 with springs and now I was making max rwhp at 6500rpms. That's when I wish I would have went 4.10's and those cams. Also I did run a 100 wet shot with that 05 and he held it nicely. Zero issues.

For me, I would go with a 3V that already has more power, better suspension and better technology.

smitty2919

Established Member
LS1 Fbody. Stock 6 speed, jut as cheap as SN95 GT and can hit your 350hp A LOT easier and cheaper.

I've had a manual 04 GT and now my 95 LT1 Z28...I would buy the Z28 over the GT every time even though it's LT1. LS1 version makes life a little easier. Stock motor with full exhaust and tune I'm at 310/340 at the wheels 75k mi.

Suspension setup/geometry is better, still SRA, factory 6 speed, just as cheap interior. Downside can be GM 10-bolt if you launch hard on sticky tires with good HP.

Now, if you don't like the looks of a Fbody, then nevermind lol.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I'd much rather beat LS1s vs owning one. I respect them, just don't like them.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'd get a higher mileage '11-12 5.0 and call it a day. I once found one on AutoTrader for $9,999. That thing was almost mine, despite the 650 mile trip.

Recon

Established Member
^ Coyotes will have a better chance at beating LS1 F bodies than a 2V will. Cheap enough that you could get a good deal now.

Sent from somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
OP, I've had a 97 mustang but swapped in a 2003 5.4 2V into it but never owned the 99-04 Mustang GT (since 03 Cobra wouldn’t count). But I also owned a 2005 Mustang GT back in 06. Saw where you mentioned a 3V with 4.30's. I actually had that at one point and all I can say is A. No to 4.30's. Or B. Get 4.30's but you need cams to extend the rpms/power range. I had the basic bolt on's and 4.30's, max rwhp on the dyno was around 5500 or 5600 rpms. Fun as hell. 1st gear was useless and I could take off in second gear like it was first. Had a friend behind me one day and he was in his 04 V6 Mustang. I took off at the light pretty good with a little WOT. When we got to work he said " yeah yeah..i know your car can beat mine". That's when I said..."yeah but I took off in second gear". He was speechless. Anyway...but since 4.30's top out in 4th gear at around 108mph, that can really suck at times. Def threw off my 1/4 runs since I had to trap in 5th gear or bury it in the red in 4th gear. Eventually went with 3.73's and it was better but then I did the comp cams stage 3 with springs and now I was making max rwhp at 6500rpms. That's when I wish I would have went 4.10's and those cams. Also I did run a 100 wet shot with that 05 and he held it nicely. Zero issues.

For me, I would go with a 3V that already has more power, better suspension and better technology.

How does the 3v intake do with a wet kit though? I'd rather not blow it up due to puddling. Are they ok or do they have a bad track record with nitrous?

Also if anyone can answer this one, I didn't have much luck. The car will mainly be a dig car, regardless what car I choose. I along with most everyone else knows how to make a SN95 chassis to work from a dig. But how well do the S197s do? I don't see much drag suspension parts for them or even many 3v drag setups in general. I'd like the ability to pull 1.5 60' AT LEAST.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I'd get a higher mileage '11-12 5.0 and call it a day. I once found one on AutoTrader for $9,999. That thing was almost mine, despite the 650 mile trip.

That's not bad. My budgets max is about 10k. Just have other fish to fry right now or I'd have a brand new 5.0.

Recon

Established Member
Also if anyone can answer this one, I didn't have much luck. The car will mainly be a dig car, regardless what car I choose. I along with most everyone else knows how to make a SN95 chassis to work from a dig. But how well do the S197s do? I don't see much drag suspension parts for them or even many 3v drag setups in general. I'd like the ability to pull 1.5 60' AT LEAST.

BMR makes an excellent drag set up. I know the Roush 3V Drag Pak uses their suspension and runs in the 11s with 435 crank hp. That about all I can help you with. I'm not much into drag racing.

smitty2919

Established Member
^ that's also a good idea. I wouldn't mind having a LS1 Formula WS6.

I would too but only for the looks...the prices people ask for those cars is nuts. Same with clean SS cars...just get a LS1 Z28 and call it a day. You will modify it past any SS package for less money.

I'd much rather beat LS1s vs owning one. I respect them, just don't like them.

That's my point. You can't argue with the LS1 platform, it's the car itself you may not like. Bang for the buck is LS1 fbody over a 2V or 3V GT IMO. 3V seems like the red headed stepchild.

Kiohtee

Established Member
How does the 3v intake do with a wet kit though? I'd rather not blow it up due to puddling. Are they ok or do they have a bad track record with nitrous?

I don't know how similar the '05-09 cars are to the '10-14s, but with my '11 I pulled a 1.49 sixty with nothing more than lower springs and an adjustable panhard bar (which as you know was more for centering the rear than anything). In the video it looks like it did/nearly pulled the left front. And that was with 490-510rwhp.

Also, I have a nitrous kit since we already know each other and all. All the accessories you can imagine, but it's a nozzle kit (wet).

Recon

Established Member
I would too but only for the looks...the prices people ask for those cars is nuts. Same with clean SS cars...just get a LS1 Z28 and call it a day. You will modify it past any SS package for less money.

That's my point. You can't argue with the LS1 platform, it's the car itself you may not like. Bang for the buck is LS1 fbody over a 2V or 3V GT IMO. 3V seems like the red headed stepchild.

My mother's first car was a formula firebird. And I really like WS6 package. That would be the F body I'd get that or an SLP Firehawk. Only problem is there's like less than 700 WS6 LS1 Formula's made.
I agree only 4.6 that can put up a fight against the LS1 is the Terminator engine. I'll stick with both my 3V's though; no interest what so ever in selling them.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
My mother's first car was a formula firebird. And I really like WS6 package. That would be the F body I'd get that or an SLP Firehawk. Only problem is there's like less than 700 WS6 LS1 Formula's made.
I agree only 4.6 that can put up a fight against the LS1 is the Terminator engine. I'll stick with both my 3V's though; no interest what so ever in selling them.

the standard firebird formula is just as fast as the WS6 and its faster than the trans am due to less weight. The ls1 has virtually the same power output across all the trim levels of 4th gen f-bodies even though GM did some funny business with the hp ratings.

Users who are viewing this thread