IAT2 ranges 40-50* above ambient with HE/fans

Dinosgt

Established Member
There is a small misconception of how the bypass works. Air always passes through the intercooler in all engine driving conditions regardless of whether the engine is in high boost or high vacuum conditions. The bypass valve routes air through the supercharger and intercooler in a loop, when the engine doesn't require a high volume of air to make Hp.

The air exits the supercharger.........it passes through the intercooler to the lower half of the manifold. Where at this point in engine vacuum conditions the bypass valve is open, the air then enters the little plenum at the rear of the intake through the bypass valve and back to the inlet of the supercharger to start the circle again.

The reason for this is the supercharger always moves air by volume in direct relationship to how many RPMs it is turning versus it size. When the engine is under low load cruise or idle conditions it may only require 350 CFM of air to produce the Hp needed. Yet the supercharger can be pumping 750 CFM for the engine RPM, SC size and pulley combination. You need to bypass the difference of the supercharger throughput versus what the engine requires for its present running condition. If you starve the supercharger of this difference in air by volume it will quickly overheat causing the rotors to expand beyond specs, which may cause the supercharger to lock up. The bypass valve and its associated system is designed to constantly move air through the SC to keep the rotors cool. All air exiting the supercharger must pass through the intercooler. The Throttle Body is what is starving the SC for air and allowing the engine to run under a vacuum and for you to see this on a gauge, even though the SC is moving 750CFM of air when the engine only need 350 CFM of air

Great explanation. Thanks for offering that up sir.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I have C & R HE with fans and mine stays pretty cool. I have noticed when the fan is on full blast for the radiator my IAT2 temps shoot up on hot days. Once the radiator fan turns off my IAT2 drop back down. My car is pretty modded tho.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I am not a expert but I can pass on what I was told. I have a similar set up and I was told below 160 is good. I live in FL and mine runs around 130 while driving and even higher if parked with the engine and fans running. I have a 170 thermostat and triple pass HE with 3x capacity tank. Temp in Fl this time of year is 80-90.
Anything more than 30 above ambient is bad.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Under boost- sure...

But stop and go, on bypass, hot under the hood, air not passing through the IC...

That's gotta be higher, right?
At idle/cruise you should be about +30 with a fanned heat exchanger

fishpick

Established Member
At idle/cruise you should be about +30 with a fanned heat exchanger

Mostly nobody that's posted on this thread is there... seems like folks are +40-50* over under bypass conditions.

Bad Company

Established Member
Under boost- sure...

But stop and go, on bypass, hot under the hood, air not passing through the IC...

That's gotta be higher, right?
I do't know how to explain my earlier post more clearly.

All the air passing through the bypass system returns to the supercharger inlet. Once in the SC inlet it must pas through the SC. As it exits the SC it must then pass through the INTERCOOLER regardless of whether the car is sitting at a traffic light idling or rolling down the highway in cruise conditions at 15" of vacuum in the intake manifold.

So if the bypass valve is open you can have the same molecules of air pass through the intercooler multiple times before the engine finally uses it for combustion.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Confused. How does the bypass air get back to the SC inlet? The only inlet is at the TB and I do not see where there is a provision for it get back there.

All the air passing through the bypass system returns to the supercharger inlet. Once in the SC inlet it must pas through the SC. As it exits the SC it must then pass through the INTERCOOLER regardless of whether the car is sitting at a traffic light idling or rolling down the highway in cruise conditions at 15" of vacuum in the intake manifold.

So if the bypass valve is open you can have the same molecules of air pass through the intercooler multiple times before the engine finally uses it for combustion.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Confused. How does the bypass air get back to the SC inlet? The only inlet is at the TB and I do not see where there is a provision for it get back there.
I think he meant the by-pass inlet. Bad Company is assuming the blower is able to make boost at low rpm. In theory it should, in reality the supercharger is way out of its efficiency range and not able to move as much air as it would at higher rpms. But to some degree it has to happen. Ever wonder how oil gets on the back of the throttle body throttle plates? Hint: it's not coming from the vent in the driver side valve cover.

fishpick

Established Member

So then why does the IAT2 drop like a rock when you stand on the petal?

Thermodynamics say air moving faster past a heat transfer material will retain MORE heat because it's in contact with the IC for less time.

So something doesn't add up.

jdt1970

Established Member
I have VMP triple pass heat exchanger with 170 fester thermostat. I am sitting in the parking lot about to go into work after driving 20 minutes to get here. System is brand new and installed by VMP. OAT is 90. IAT2 is going between 129 and 133.
3a6611dc78eb59884d79e580d0a33fe2.jpg
So what gives?
a312bb74b09809612f2a58df402bfa4d.jpg
91a5d8b3e371e3bdcd0c88499e7ca449.jpg

fishpick

Established Member
By the time I got done posting it is now 140. While idling.

I have VMP triple pass heat exchanger with 170 fester thermostat. I am sitting in the parking lot about to go into work after driving 20 minutes to get here. System is brand new and installed by VMP. OAT is 90. IAT2 is going between 129 and 133.

Everyone I know with a PD blower and without a racing hood that's wide open to the world sees these numbers - and it doesn't matter the system... VMP (the TVS family), Whipple (the twin screw family), any PD blower... you are right in that 40-50 over ambient range...

Stomp on it - and your temps drop to that +20-30 ish over ambient...

I'm not a pro and totally new to this boosted world - so I'm constantly learning... but these numbers totally seem "normal" from talking to lots of people... or... everyone has a bad setup... ;)

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If you're not moving, you're sucking in a lot of heated under hood air. While you're moving your intake is sucking in more ambient air and you have more air flow through the engine compartment.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Everyone I know with a PD blower and without a racing hood that's wide open to the world sees these numbers - and it doesn't matter the system... VMP (the TVS family), Whipple (the twin screw family), any PD blower... you are right in that 40-50 over ambient range...

Stomp on it - and your temps drop to that +20-30 ish over ambient...

I'm not a pro and totally new to this boosted world - so I'm constantly learning... but these numbers totally seem "normal" from talking to lots of people... or... everyone has a bad setup... ;)
I think it's relative too. The lower ambient air temps, the wider the variance between ambient and IAT2.

fishpick

Established Member
If you're not moving, you're sucking in a lot of heated under hood air. While you're moving your intake is sucking in more ambient air and you have more air flow through the engine compartment.

Totally agree here - this is what I have "believed" all along :)
My head ain't right... but still ;)

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
70 out today with 27% humidity.

I was reading 98 to 102 on the highway and 110 while stopped in traffic. Didn't get into boost at all.

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
I also would like to know if anyone is a steady 30* above ambient and has a HE with fans. Maybe 30* while driving and 40* in stop and go traffic.

When does it pull timing? 140* and up is what I was told.

So on a 95* day I'm getting pretty close to being heat soaked especially if I'm stuck in bumper to bumper I'm screwed.

Which means. Invest in a larger HE with larger fans? What difference would that make above ambient? A meth kit or a killer chiller? Larger reservoirs for ice?

Anyone out there with a badass cooling system please chime in!

Users who are viewing this thread