Installed an Afco GT500 heat exchanger in car

MalcolmV8

Established Member
YHaven't data logged any pulls yet. With any luck I'll be doing that tomorrow if you'd like me to send them your way.

Yes please do with a full list of the cooling specs. I've been keeping track of the various cooling mods people use and their results. With enough data collected it should provide some good insight as to which parts work best.

Reload469

Established Member
Yes please do with a full list of the cooling specs. I've been keeping track of the various cooling mods people use and their results. With enough data collected it should provide some good insight as to which parts work best.
Great, I'll PM you to get your email tomorrow after work.

Soap

Established Member
The tank is completely full.

Then can you post pics of your tank setup.

I dealt with cavitation because my return side is above the feed. The EMP is such a monster it creates a ton of turbulence in the tank. So I made a baffle around my feed port and have never had a problem since. I also had to remove the built in "ice screen" as that was causing issues too.

1.jpg
2.jpg

--Joe

03sonicblu

going 4 broke
Established Member
Decided a little test between the stock pump and replacement Stewart EMP pump was in order to get a feel for flow differences.

3MB5CWPiy8XniJZMyGHiOlxjSWDLbeI82IqmYfw7EfzHGB5lSQAa-9ZSKkG5zKj_1gQPC0AD9aMXMh_QTQw=w800-h600-no.jpg

Unfortunately we couldn't run the EMP pump for more than about a second. It just sucked that 1/2 gallon funnel dry so fast I couldn't pour water in there fast enough to keep up with it. The instructions warm about never running it dry as the seals are dependent on the fluid flowing through to keep them working and in good shape.

I also noticed when you power on the EMP it doesn't just kick on a full power but we could hear it ramping up as the controller spins it up. It sounded like it was accelerating up but unfortunately we had to cut it off so fast.

Even with the tiny run you can there will be significantly more flow.

how does the EWP150 compare to this pump?
http://daviescraig.com.au/product/ewp150-alloy-electric-water-pump-kit-12v-8060

I got my hands on one for a good price and have yet to install

D-Con

...Rather have a Buick?
Established Member
Bigger being better, and with all of the new in/outlets being fabbed on anyway, is it possible there is another core you could start with other than the GT500 that would run the full width of the crashbar?

Very nice work, BTW.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
At what point does the intercooler brick start to become the weak point in the system? You can have the biggest HE in the world, but if the intercooler cant pull enough heat out, its doesn't benefit you to go bigger.

Soap

Established Member
At what point does the intercooler brick start to become the weak point in the system? You can have the biggest HE in the world, but if the intercooler cant pull enough heat out, its doesn't benefit you to go bigger.

You are correct, but we are limited by the lower intake.

--Joe

Soap

Established Member
Bigger being better, and with all of the new in/outlets being fabbed on anyway, is it possible there is another core you could start with other than the GT500 that would run the full width of the crashbar?

Yes bigger is better, you could probably run a small radiator from another car which would be bigger than any heat exchanger offered.

However that likely wouldn't benefit your system anymore because the heat exchanger only pulls heat out of the fluid, first you have to get the heat transferred into the fluid, which is what the intercooler is for. This is why so many people are using Justins setup, it allows for more heat transfer out of the intake air/intercooler and into the intercooler fluid.

--Joe

Blown38

Established Member
Yes bigger is better, you could probably run a small radiator from another car which would be bigger than any heat exchanger offered.

However that likely wouldn't benefit your system anymore because the heat exchanger only pulls heat out of the fluid, first you have to get the heat transferred into the fluid, which is what the intercooler is for. This is why so many people are using Justins setup, it allows for more heat transfer out of the intake air/intercooler and into the intercooler fluid.

--Joe

I tried this in the Marauder. Had a full size radiator with 16" fan behind the bumper cover. Did nothing for the IAT's. It probably took it longer to get heat soaked but then also took longer to cool off.

Soap

Established Member
I tried this in the Marauder. Had a full size radiator with 16" fan behind the bumper cover. Did nothing for the IAT's. It probably took it longer to get heat soaked but then also took longer to cool off.

The system works as a whole. It makes no sense to just upgrade the heat exchanger without also using larger lines, a badass pump and increasing flow via larger fittings and less of them. Do you happen to know how many GPM your system was flowing at the tank? Not what the pump was rated for but actual GPM, like measured in a bucket with a stopwatch?

--Joe

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member

You are correct, but we are limited by the lower intake.

--Joe

Yep the heat exchanger under the blower gets us a number of ways. Not the greatest cooler because of it's tiny size. Also not really designed to flow the amounts of air a lot of people are throwing at it now a days with the bigger Whipples and Kenne Bells. Can't go any bigger due to the limited size we have of our lower intake.

Users who are viewing this thread