Instrument Cluster Illumination

asgds3p2

Ive got a 2001 Cobra and none of the interior dash illumination lights work. The gauges, ac panel and the traction, fog, defroster dont light up when I turn the headlights on.
All the warning lights, high beam, turn signal indicators work, the AC switches work and the lights to indicate whether TC, fog lights, heater is on or off works. The dome light and all the exterior lights work.
I put a new headlight switch in it and Ive checked the fuses. I also took the cluster out and put power directly to it and the illumination lights do turn on.
Has anyone else come across this problem? Any advice on what to check next?

BJCobra99

Established Member
There's a transformer inside the cluster that is known to go bad. Same issue on mu 99, lights work off and on. Around a $20 part. I remember seeing a company that makes a replacement transformer, could another member help us out with who sells it?

asgds3p2

Well I guess Ill disassemble the cluster tomorrow and see if I can find anything burned out
Do you know if there's any wiring that I should check as well since the dash is going to be apart?

Edit: I finally got around to trying to fix this. I eventually found that the wire that attached to the dash light fuse had worked its way out of the fuse block. I reinstalled the pin and now everything works

Last edited:

Trond.E.

First!! Sorry to bump your thread asgds3p2
Hey guys. I have the same problem with my cluster. I think it's the transformer that's defective. I have power in to it but nothing out
Adds 2 pictures of tranformer location and the number on it.
Anyone who knows where to get a new one?
(sorry for my bad english i am norwegian) :rolleyes:

DSC_2986_zpsmzronx6d.jpg

DSC_2984_zpsqygf33td.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread