Intercooler pump test

Robot_trainer

Established Member
So I'm about to pull the car out of storage and thought I would try and test the intercooler pump. As per the manual, I pulled the relay (second from the left). I jumped the upper left socket (3) which has power to the bottom right socket (5)...and nothing. Not a spark, no noise from the pump. Am I missing something or is the pump pooched? Any better aftermarket ones out there? How hard is it to change?

I also noticed there is no rhyme or reason as to how the relays install into the battery junction box. The graphics are not positioned the same across the fuel pump relays and the Intercooler pump relay. How do you tell which pins are for the coil and which for the contacts on the relay?

Snoopy49

Established Member
The relay will only fit in 2 positions and either one will work. Check for pushed pins at the pump and make sure the pump is grounded.

BATTERY JUNCTION BOX CAC.jpg
2013-14 GT500 CAC Wiring Diagram.jpg

Willie

Established Member
Wouldn't it be simpler to just pull the connector off the pump and test for voltage and a good ground there? If both are good, the pump is bad.

This implies the PCM is commanding the pump ON.......

Robot_trainer

Established Member
The relay will only fit in 2 positions and either one will work. Check for pushed pins at the pump and make sure the pump is grounded.

View attachment 86092 View attachment 86093
It looks like it's grounded

View attachment 86092 View attachment 86093
It looks like it's grounded through black/grey wire. Is it chassis ground as well? How quiet is the pump? Holding the jumper wire has me on the right side of the car. Canthe see what's going on on the left side

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Wouldn't it be simpler to just pull the connector off the pump and test for voltage and a good ground there? If both are good, the pump is bad.

This implies the PCM is commanding the pump ON.......
Do do that, yes, the pcm has to command on. Not sure what parameters have to be true for power to be present at the pump

Snoopy49

Established Member
If your are jumping pins 3 & 5 on the CAC relay, you have bypassed the PCM and are supplying power directly to the pump. If pins 3 & 5 are jumped and there is no voltage at the pump plug, Pin 1 ground and Pin 4 Positive from relay socket, you have a pushed pin in one of the connectors or a damage wire.

Connector C1217 - CAC Pump.jpg

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
How quiet is the pump? Holding the jumper wire has me on the right side of the car. Cant see what's going on on the left side
I had the same problem when testing mine. The pumps are pretty quiet and don't cause much visible circulation in the reservoir. I ended up making a jumper I could insert and walk around to the left side.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
If your are jumping pins 3 & 5 on the CAC relay, you have bypassed the PCM and are supplying power directly to the pump. If pins 3 & 5 are jumped and there is no voltage at the pump plug, Pin 1 ground and Pin 4 Positive from relay socket, you have a pushed pin in one of the connectors or a damage wire.

View attachment 86101

Thanks everyone! Its working. It's so quiet I couldn't hear it runnin. Only casualty was the fuse when I shorted the powe pin to ground while poking around. Manual says it's a 10 amp fuse. There was a 15 amp fuse in there. Which is right? It must not draw much current. No sparks when you jumper at the relay.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Service manual says 10 amp, but I just looked at my 2013 car and it has a 15 amp in the slot. My car has not been touched since it left the factory 4 years ago.
P3252458.JPG

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Service manual says 10 amp, but I just looked at my 2013 car and it has a 15 amp in the slot. My car has not been touched since it left the factory 4 years ago.
View attachment 86106
Mine was never touched either. but I do notice your IC relay is reversed from what mine is. I would think it matters which way it goes in. I wonder which way is right.

Snoopy49

Established Member
It will work in either position. Notice in the wiring diagram that pins 3 & 5 will still line up with the power from the relay and pins 1 & 2 still get their signal ground from the PCM and power from the fuse F46. None of the pins are polarity sensitive. Pins 1 & 2 power the relay coil and 3 & 5 transfer voltage from fuse F15 to the pump. If it makes you feel better, install the relay which ever way looks better to you and allows you to sleep at night.

I rotated one of the relays so you could visualize what I am talking about.

BATTERY JUNCTION BOX CAC - REV.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread