Interesting "problems"

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Ok, little history:
2003 Cobra with KB 2.2, Bassani Exhaust, about 20lbs of boost, pretty conservative tune (this will be getting redone soon). Just bought the car, runs great but got the dreaded P0193 code and car would fall on its face. Replaced the FRPS and then would have the same thing happen sometime later. Checked the FRPS and it wasn't blown. But after doing some research on here, seems there could be an issue and why some people go to the return fuel system (definitely going to do that) and why some people do the PPRV delete. Car has the KB BAP, supposedly has GT pumps. I looked in the trunk where the BAP is installed and it doesn't seem to have the FPDM mod to it. I guess I'm going to have to verify the pumps and FPDM some how.

Either way, was running fine. Well, now the car is just having issues only under boost. First, it started as a part throttle, light boost issue where it was acting like the fuel was cutting out. Watching the Aeroforce gauge and FP Gauge, didn't see anything funny. But now it's doing it under boost at anytime. Only thing I noticed really strange was the Duty Cycle was bouncing all over the place.

I know my EGR is probably filthy (have a new on in box waiting or I'll just delete it before I go get a new tune in the Fall). I get the following codes in my X3: P16A8 (can't find that one anywhere) P00B0 (Supercharger Boost Control B Module Performance (WTF is that?) P0193 (verified the FRPS isn't torn by putting it on a vacuum at 15" over night with no loss and no gas in the vacuum line) and the infamous P0405. No idle issues, no drivability issues when not in boost.

So....any ideas? Like I said, the car is new to me and I'm just going to have to start "tearing" into things to start finding out what exactly has been done compared to what was supposedly done. It's clean and ran great, but I think everything that was done was done awhile ago and the owners in-between rarely drove it and none of the items were kept up (such as vacuum hoses, etc) and we all know how rubber parts react to time.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
When you talk about the FPDM mod are you referring to the wire upgrade? My first guess would be the BAP acting up. Do you know if it's wired to be on all the time or does it have a Hobbs switch?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
When you talk about the FPDM mod are you referring to the wire upgrade? My first guess would be the BAP acting up. Do you know if it's wired to be on all the time or does it have a Hobbs switch?

I was thinking more along the lines of an upgraded FPDM or dual FPDMs to run those pumps. I do believe some of the FRPS codes/FRPS that were bursting were traced back to some tuning issues as well as hardware issues.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I was thinking more along the lines of an upgraded FPDM or dual FPDMs to run those pumps. I do believe some of the FRPS codes/FRPS that were bursting were traced back to some tuning issues as well as hardware issues.

That's another possibility. I just didn't want him thinking he could look at an FPDM and see it's an upgraded version. The ones I've dealt with looked exactly like the stocker.

I'm sure a lot of the burst FRPS issues were tuning related. I've managed to only have one burst since starting to play with mod motors back in 2004. And I think it's because of the tuning.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Thanks for the replies, fellas!

I don’t know if the BAP is wired to be on all of the time, but this setup was installed back around 2010-2012 if the receipts are all correct. As far as I know, it’s been running good ever since.

I know there aren’t 2 FPDM’s there, but I don’t know if the single FPDM has been modified. That and now I’m questioning if it actually has GT pumps. The owner that sold it to me thought it did, but when I look at the receipts, it actually states COBRA PUMPS....sooo...I’m going to have to drop the tank and find out. If that’s the case, well, more reason to start piecing together a return style fuel system.

So for now, if I may just schedule a tune at VMP, get that surge out of the tune. Once I clear the codes, the car runs great. But something happens that trips that FRPS code and boom, nothing under boost anymore. But the FRPS doesn’t actually tear.

I just did some Datalogs. I’ll upload them as soon as I can get to a place to work on the laptop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'd get the fuel pressure fixed before taking it to tune. If the fuel pressure isn't stable he shouldn't tune it. Save yourself the drive. If you're going to go return do it before the tune. Get it all done at once. I know it sucks to spend the money, but get it done with and know everything is good.

FWIW, I've been running the old style GT pumps on a stock FPDM for a long time with no issues. I'm not sure you could do it with the new style pumps though.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
I'd get the fuel pressure fixed before taking it to tune. If the fuel pressure isn't stable he shouldn't tune it. Save yourself the drive. If you're going to go return do it before the tune. Get it all done at once. I know it sucks to spend the money, but get it done with and know everything is good.

FWIW, I've been running the old style GT pumps on a stock FPDM for a long time with no issues. I'm not sure you could do it with the new style pumps though.

Welp, it honestly seems the fuel issue is related to the spike in fuel pressure between 3-4, cause that trips the P0193 (FRPS) code. So checking the FRPS, no signs of gas, it holds vacuum on the nipple over night, hook it back up, clear the DTC, boom, car drives like it should....until it doesn’t like any random WOT 3-4 shift.

But I do agree, I won’t get a tune until the return style system is in place. I just don’t know if the car actually has GT fp’s in it or not. So I’m def going to find out.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Update:

Now it doesn’t matter if codes are cleared. Brand new FRPS, fuel pressure is spiking under boost, up to 90-100lbs. Possibly BAP going bad? Guess I’ll need to check it some how. Really more reason to dump that and start my return system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Cant hurt. If you do get a new/modified one, then you can take the cover off of the current one and see if it has been upgraded .

Modified one has been ordered. I’m going to stop by the junk yard tomorrow and grab a couple and just swap it and see if it’s a temp fix since the new one from black06 should be here next week.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Pumps.....or pump. Either way, replaced the stock hat and pumps with a Fore hat with GT pumps...boom. Fixed and running well. Next stop will be a tune.

Nice. Updating the fuel system and ditching that pathetic factory hat (and wiring) is never a waste of $$$ on these cars, especially going with the gold standard.....Fore. That unit is bulletproof. Mine has been in the tank and untouched with gt pumps for ten years. In E85. Fires every time, duty cycles perfect

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Nice. Updating the fuel system and ditching that pathetic factory hat (and wiring) is never a waste of $$$ on these cars, especially going with the gold standard.....Fore. That unit is bulletproof. Mine has been in the tank and untouched with gt pumps for ten years. In E85. Fires every time, duty cycles perfect

Yeah, car is def getting a tune this thursday. It's running rich and the previous tune was conservative as it is. I'll keep the thread updated.

Users who are viewing this thread