IRS TO SRA SWAP OPINIONS NEEDED...

4stang6

Established Member
03 Cobra is what i have looking for a swap to a SRA, My questions......
1.In YOUR opinions would it takw away value from the car?
2.Is the swap simple?
How much money would it take to build my IRS compared to the SRA?
AND if I have it swapped, do the springs need to be swapped as well????
Enlighten me on yalls experiences or opinions

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
1. Thats a matter of opinion.
2. The swap is very simple. Acquiring parts is your limiting factor unless you already have something in mind. When I swapped years ago, I traded my IRS for a SRA setup which made it easy for me. Yes, springs are different and need to be swapped.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I recently sold my car with an SRA swap. I don't think it hurt the value too much.

However, there were a few interested parties that wanted nothing to do with it once I mentioned it was swapped.

On the other hand, there were also people that were looking specifically with one that was already swapped.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
So if the springs need to be swapped, Do the front springs need to be swapped as well??

Front is fine.

Rear you'll need upper and lower arms, shocks, springs, and the axle tube assembly.

You may need to change drive shafts?

R3dfireCobra

Established Member
I have close to 1K in upgrading my IRS setup and that includes the complete FTBR kit, Ford Racing Diff cover, misc items like gear oil and friction modifier. I did all the work myself and highly recommend FTBR tool kit. I like the IRS so far and think its great if upgraded and setup properly. Bottomline, to make it live a healthy life you need to eliminate wheel hop via solid bushings and softer tires (bias ply for dig launches) as to not break the axles. Also, the factory diff cover is garbage and needs upgraded. Im at or close to 700 rwhp (no dyno numbers), but plenty of guys with similar setups and I have no issues with my IRS and its a street/strip car.
Just my .002

ITSTOCK

Established Member
1.In YOUR opinions would it takw away value from the car?
YES, at the very least it will extend the amount of time your car is on the market. The good news is you are a swap away from going back to IRS.
2.Is the swap simple?
YES, bolt in swap, extremely simple.
3. How much money would it take to build my IRS compared to the SRA?
You won't be able to build the IRS to the same level as the SRA. Even the DSS Level 5's are shearing on the outermost stub. If you plan on launching hard, do the SRA or be prepared to replace half shafts. You can do a bias ply slick to help extend the life of the half shafts, but there is only so much you can do if you plan on making serious power and doing hard launches.

Black2010

Established Member
You also need to swap out the catback exhaust too, right?

From another thread it looks like the IRS is getting harder to source so if you do make the change I'd recommend holding on to it incase you decide to go back.

Im also contemplating a SRA swap. Is there a way I tell if my bushings have already been upgraded ? Any tips/clues what to look for ?

You should be able to see the bushings while laying under the rear of your car. It's pretty easy to tell the difference between rubber and poly/delrin and even easier to identify if it has alum bushings. Grab a pick or flat blade screwdriver and push on the bushing. If it gives it's rubber.

Users who are viewing this thread