Is it even worth getting a tuner for automatics?

Kinoor

So I was wondering if it was the ideal time to get a tuner for my GT 2014 Mustang so I decided to get a tuner but unsure on which is the best and reliable packing with tons of features.
I did some research but unsure of if should I go for a:
Nguage
SCT x4
SCT BDX (Rebate)

But since it is an automatic, what is all the differences between stock and getting an lund tune? Like how does it drive?

Additionally, is it possible to tune it to keep the gears longer like it would in S drive mode?
Another question, Can I change when the computer decides to shift when reaching a certain RPM?

Since it is my first time tuning after all, is it legal in Maryland for emissions?

Should I not bring in a tune at all?

rustang1

Established Member
Yes it is worth it to get a tune for an auto.
I would say an SCTx4 would be best but some like the Ngauge better because it is better for datalogging.

Just make sure your tuner will work with Ngauge.
Don't use the "canned" pre-installed calibration that comes with the tuner device.

I currently use AED, but have used Lund and Mike Roush before. My friend uses VMP. There are others like JPC that are in your neck of the woods. Mike Roush is the only one I would be hesitant to use because of being hard to contact and get replies.

With a custom tune from any one of the mentioned tuners, the car will feel like it has a different engine and trans.

Last edited:

clinton2003

Established Member
So I was wondering if it was the ideal time to get a tuner for my GT 2014 Mustang so I decided to get a tuner but unsure on which is the best and reliable packing with tons of features.
I did some research but unsure of if should I go for a:
Nguage
SCT x4
SCT BDX (Rebate)

But since it is an automatic, what is all the differences between stock and getting an lund tune? Like how does it drive?
Ive never had an 6r80, but im sure there will be decent gains from getting a tune. mainly from shift points, converter lockup points, etc.
At this point, i'm sure they have great drive-ability.

Additionally, is it possible to tune it to keep the gears longer like it would in S drive mode?
This would be a great question for whomever you decide to tune your car.

Another question, Can I change when the computer decides to shift when reaching a certain RPM?
The handheld cannot change those, but a custom tune from your tuner will be able to adjust the shift RPM

Since it is my first time tuning after all, is it legal in Maryland for emissions?
As long as your tuner doesn't disable the emissions systems, you should have no issues with emissions.

Should I not bring in a tune at all?
I cannot think of a reason to not tune it. But i had a tune on my car when it was 4 months old....
Responses above ^

I really like the Ngauge, its clean and does a few more options than the x4. Like previously has been said, it is much easier to data log.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Buy an SCT from American Muscle with the BAMA tunes. I have a 14 and did the same thing with an SCTx4. The BAMA tubes are a significant improvement over stock. They also allow the use of the SCT options which allow you to adjust the shift firmness and mph at which it shifts. Along with overall rpm limit as well as individual gear limits. You get the BAMA tunes for free with the purchase of the tuner and you can add Lund, AED, or Mike Rousch tunes later.

With the BAMA version 2 93 Octane Race tune I did a 12.51 @ 112.1 @ MIR on a 55° day on 28" Nitto 555Rs.

I eventually went with a Mike Rousch set of tunes mainly because he can also offer a tune optimized for road course work.

He was easy to get a hold of (about 2 months ago) and got me the tunes the day after I paid.

His street/strip tune was better than the BAMA tune but not orders of magnitude better. I did a 12.339 @ Cecil County with upgraded 3.55 gears on street tires - Continental ExtremeContact DWs. No other engine work other than a K&N modular intake tube and drop in filter.

The only thing I don't like about the Mike Rousch tunes is that the SCT options are locked out.

Kinoor

Buy an SCT from American Muscle with the BAMA tunes. I have a 14 and did the same thing with an SCTx4. The BAMA tubes are a significant improvement over stock. They also allow the use of the SCT options which allow you to adjust the shift firmness and mph at which it shifts. Along with overall rpm limit as well as individual gear limits. You get the BAMA tunes for free with the purchase of the tuner and you can add Lund, AED, or Mike Rousch tunes later.

With the BAMA version 2 93 Octane Race tune I did a 12.51 @ 112.1 @ MIR on a 55° day on 28" Nitto 555Rs.

I eventually went with a Mike Rousch set of tunes mainly because he can also offer a tune optimized for road course work.

He was easy to get a hold of (about 2 months ago) and got me the tunes the day after I paid.

His street/strip tune was better than the BAMA tune but not orders of magnitude better. I did a 12.339 @ Cecil County with upgraded 3.55 gears on street tires - Continental ExtremeContact DWs. No other engine work other than a K&N modular intake tube and drop in filter.

The only thing I don't like about the Mike Rousch tunes is that the SCT options are locked out.

Is there a difference between lund and bama?

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm sure there is but I don't have experience with Lund other than they are highly regarded.

Check if they charge for changes such as gears, intake, headers, etc. BAMA offers free changes for life except for power adders.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Getting a SCT X4 from AM seems to have a good price point. Get a TUNE from AED. Shaun has these 5.0 with and automatic down. From daily driver to track. In my 2013 auto 5.0 I was doing 12.1x with tune only. Stock good year tires that came on the brembo auto cars. I was beating other 5.0s that had full bolt ons with tunes from other tuners. Shaun is always updating new finding how to improve his tunes.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Does Shaun offer tunes optimized for a road course for an automatic? I know that autos are not as popular for a road course but I'm sure there is still a market for it.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
Aed may be favored here. However, everywhere else, Palm Beach Dyno is setting records and making magic happen. I am amazed at the 6R80 tune from them. It is so fun to drive. So many levels of how it responds to throttle input. So there's my $.02 and another option for you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Does Shaun offer tunes optimized for a road course for an automatic? I know that autos are not as popular for a road course but I'm sure there is still a market for it.

I would email Shaun to get more info related to that specifically. I can say for sure that he has tunes that make back road twisties fun in the auto.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Is it just because it produces more powers with autos? Or is just more smoother/firmer?
It's because he has fined tune the auto tune for both street and track. Your not gonna win dyno numbers with Shaun's tunes. He makes the car perform in the real world. Not on paper like some tuners do.

Stang Lover

Established Member
When I had my 11 auto i had a vmp tune that's it and ran 12.0 on the factory 245. If I had a slick definitely would of been 11's. They are still making these cars run hard and Palm Beach Dyno is doing amazing work with the 6R80.

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
A tune will definitely wake up the automatic and the shifts can be adjusted.

The nGauge is a great device, making cataloging that much easier and allows you to see up to 6 engine parameters at one. The nGauge paired with a Lund Racing tune is a great way to go. My car has always run really hard on their tune, and the customer service and response times are second to none.

DarkMach1

Established Member
If you took a poll, you'd find that AED (Shaun) is the favored tuner.

I’d have to disagree here.

And in relation to the thread. Do your research and pick the tuner you like best, several are good, others just copy/paste tuners. Lunds automatic trans strategies are some of the best in the biz.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I’d have to disagree here.

And in relation to the thread. Do your research and pick the tuner you like best, several are good, others just copy/paste tuners. Lunds automatic trans strategies are some of the best in the biz.
Sounds like you did the old copy and paste yourself lol.

Users who are viewing this thread