Is it even worth getting a tuner for automatics?

DarkMach1

Established Member
Sounds like you did the old copy and paste yourself lol.

Yup! That’s why I have one of the fastest if not the fastest P1sc S550 car on 93 octane and stock converter out there and it’s never been dyno tuned.....oh wait, that doesn’t make any sense does it?? Lmao

I have no negative comments about any tuner. It’s why I told the OP, to read up a little on what he’s looking for and what works best for him and make his decision. Lund/AED/PBD/VMP are at the top of the tuning game, each of them having their own setups that they know best, example VMP and VMP blowers.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Yup! That’s why I have one of the fastest if not the fastest P1sc S550 car on 93 octane and stock converter out there and it’s never been dyno tuned.....oh wait, that doesn’t make any sense does it?? Lmao

I have no negative comments about any tuner. It’s why I told the OP, to read up a little on what he’s looking for and what works best for him and make his decision. Lund/AED/PBD/VMP are at the top of the tuning game, each of them having their own setups that they know best, example VMP and VMP blowers.
Just had to give you a hard time. Its always up for debate on the best tuner.

Canadian5.0

Established Member
Rather than deciding the hardware you're going to tune with first I would decide on WHO will be doing the tuning and choose the device that they prefer. I was dyno tuned by a local shop when I was N/A and wasn't really happy with the results (stalling when pressing the clutch in). Also had BAMA generic tunes on an older mustang and it made less power than the stock tune, which was proven on a dyno. This was a 97 GT so kinda apples to oranges. Anyway I'm tuned with Lund now and am very happy with it. The difference between generic BAMA tunes and the other big names is that they request you send in logs after receiving a tune so they can make adjustments if needed. No 2 cars will react to the generic tunes exactly the same.

TX 14 GT/CS

I've been through 3 tuners and multiple revisions with 2, all using SCT. Seems as we can't get shift rpm's at wot consistent or daily normal driving shift firmness /shifting at appropriate speeds set satisfactory. Tuner 3 at wot (tc off, no wheel spin) 1-2 shifts @ 6500, sometimes 7000+ and sometimes it will hit a hard limiter past 7500. 2-3 and 3-4 shift @ 7100. Tuner 2, 1-2 shifts 6640, 2-3 shifts range from 6650-7085 rpm. 3-4 shift are most consistent @ 7090 almost always.
Daily driving light throttle (1/4 or less) it will be in 5th before 40 mph, 6th before 45 mph. Highway cruise @ 75 mph, wanna give a little to do an easy downshift to pass someone without going to 3rd or 4th...depending on tuner 1/4 to 7/8 throttle to get to 5th gear. I like firm quick shifts but not neck snapping and it seems hard to get what I want in one package without a lot of communication with the correct tuner...which I have yet to find. Power wise 2 of the 3 were excellent...but none have been able to get consistent shifts at a set at 7000 wot, or daily driving as requested. Tuner 2 can get excellent daily manners, but not consistent wot shifts...well they are consistently low. Tuner 3 are consistently inconsistent but higher for the most part but drivability sucks.(shift wise)
Lots of data logs, emails, phone calls and time.
Shame it won't shift at wot when I hit the +. Kinda miss the old days of manual shifting my auto...when I say shift it did!

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Thats is a very complicated transmission. U want it tuned properly either go to a dyno or have it remote tuned or buy a tune from a legit shop.

TX 14 GT/CS

power wise it runs great, big difference. for most people a "general performance" type trans file would be ok. both tuner 2 and 3 are "legit shops". trying to find a remote tuner that CAN really custom tune an A6 is time consuming. dyno and real world roads would be nice, wish there was one close that wasn't booked and really knew what they were doing. i've found most to have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to actually custom tuning the A6.

Users who are viewing this thread