Is it worth upgrading a cobra with mileage?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Compression test and leak down. If the engine is healthy go for it. Everything else (trans, suspension, etc) would have to be upgraded anyway to match the power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

jblood37

Established Member
Almost always cheaper to get one already modded. If you want to mod yours then do compression and leak down as stated. When I took the blower off my engine I realized that I already had a reman Ford motor. You could be in the same boat.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Piasared

Established Member
I'd just buy high mileage one an upgrade it. Mind you a lot of non professional mechanics can use crap parts but swear they are awesome. It's way more expensive but so is throwing a rod on the "new motor" they just installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cj428mach

Established Member
Depends on your final goals. If you plan to keep it forever id sell and buy a lower mileage car, if you're just going to mod enjoy for a little while and sell then keep what you got.

I had an 80k mile terminator I was looking to build. I knew id be a lifer so I weighed my options and decided to buy an 7.5k mile car because in the end. I felt this would be cheaper than rebuilding the engine, irs transmission, repainting the front clip, etc.

Buying a modded car can be a gamble, if you go this route spend the extra money on a nice one. You can find modded cars with a few issues or the sellers know nothing about cheaper than a documented modded car but its probably not worth it. For the extra money buy a car with receipts, pics of the mods, etc. It will be money well spent.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
100% depends if you know the car or not. Like how long have you had it? What issues have you had? How many previous owners? What did they do to it and why? At what point in its life did what mods go on? How old are the needed supporting mods? And most importantly what's the condition of the engine now and all the questions above vs a different one. Its not just as basic as the question you asked

Sent from my SCH-I545 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Piasared

Established Member
I bought a high mileage car for fun. Can mod the hell out of it as long as it's solid and not worry about extra miles. Really depends if you want a show car or to have fun in one. Neither make a good investment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread