Is the show cops real or scripted

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroFear

Banned
i know this is a silly question, but i was wondering if that show is real or scripted.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
It's all scripted. The cops like to do a few takes of the chase scenes so that they can get it right. Sometimes, the camera man misses the "good" shot and they have to redo it.

Like when the guy threw Junior through the door and the camera man missed it. They did a re-take and it turned out well.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
COPS the TV program is not scripted. Yet it is editted quite well, for effect.

99GTtony

Rain city stanger
Established Member
It's bad enough that Lakewood,WA won't allow them to film there anymore. The town thinks it gives tham a bad name....well....we do call it Lakehood for a reason around here. They do a ton of editing for effect, but Police videos on Spike is much worse for editing to achieve the effect they want.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
The two most annoying things I find about the "Wildest Chases" programs (the one with the retired sheriff host) is his insistance that some early 80s V6 Monte Carlo is a "high-powered sports car" and of all the many different departments using police helicopters, the voice of the pilot is always the same and overly narrated...for some reason.

kneedragger

Rough and Toothless
Established Member
All I know is I always see cops in Tampa and recognize places I used to deliver food to in college.

Lawman85

Banned
Traveler said:
The two most annoying things I find about the "Wildest Chases" programs (the one with the retired sheriff host) is his insistance that some early 80s V6 Monte Carlo is a "high-powered sports car" and of all the many different departments using police helicopters, the voice of the pilot is always the same and overly narrated...for some reason.

What I hate about those is they are showing you a view from the helicoptor and then dub in the noise of the sirens and screeching tires..... you can't hear that from a helicoptor, you just hear the helicoptor and wind.

I'm not a big fan of cops. I would not handle those situations in the same way usually. I tell all the recruits to watch it so they learn what not to do on the street.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Lawman85 said:
What I hate about those is they are showing you a view from the helicoptor and then dub in the noise of the sirens and screeching tires..... you can't hear that from a helicoptor, you just hear the helicoptor and wind.

Beat me to it!! I was going to say the same thing.

The same "siren noise" being played continuously throughout the entire show really gets annoying. :dw:

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Traveler said:
I can't stand that show sometimes. I love watching the chases and incidents, but the excessive narration, fake sounds, and flat out lies piss me off. No matter what the car, if it looks sporty, it's a high powered performance vehicle. No matter what type of truck, it's a car-crushing behemoth with massive amounts of torque. It's an '85 Nissan, Bob.

5.0 Ford Power

*derp*
Established Member
the one where they were chasing a mid 90's bmw and they pulled out their 350hp camaro cruiser with a "chip that makes it faster than anything else on the road". wait that was the police chases not cops n/m.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
Watching Cops makes me paranoid about all the other people on the road. Routine stops and 300 lbs of drugs in the trunk or a drunk driver. Especially if you live in Spokane, or Ft Worth or NJ (frequent host cities).

OhOneSnake

Let it melt......
Established Member
Speaking of "Scariest Police Chases"......would any of us ever say the following words: "He was travelling at a death-defying 82mph".

I laughed my @ss off the other day when they had a chase bewteen an old 5.0 Mustang interceptor and some buick sedan. The officer actually got on the PA and yelled "I got a 5.0 buddy, you can't outrun me, give it up".

Darkblade

Thread Killer
Established Member
OhOneSnake said:
Speaking of "Scariest Police Chases"......would any of us ever say the following words: "He was travelling at a death-defying 82mph".

I laughed my @ss off the other day when they had a chase bewteen an old 5.0 Mustang interceptor and some buick sedan. The officer actually got on the PA and yelled "I got a 5.0 buddy, you can't outrun me, give it up".

that rocks... cops reminds me of a joke

"i used to watch cops, and for the longest time i though gun point was a city... a Ciiy with a VERY hig crime rate"

Ace5Oh

Established Member
i saw a clip i cant remember where in cops... the cop got his car stuck in the railroad tracks following a dirtbike haha it was hilarious... then some trains where coming but they went on diffrent tracks haha.. can some1 post this video.. i wanna c it again i cant remember from what site tho..

94_302

Established Member
5.0 Ford Power said:
the one where they were chasing a mid 90's bmw and they pulled out their 350hp camaro cruiser with a "chip that makes it faster than anything else on the road". wait that was the police chases not cops n/m.

A friend of mine who was big into bimmer's told me about that clip he showed it to me and if you watch the scene where they "catch him" It's really just a edited clip from earlier in the chase when he slams the brakes to avoid the spike strip. He told me it was a supercharged M3 that was being driven by a kid who took it out for a joy ride (It was his fathers) The kid got away but they had the license plate and went to the house to catch him. Not sure how much truth is behind it but if you watch the clip it is a fact that where he gets "caught" is a slow motion edit of an earlier scene.

DEADEYE

Banned
Let's not forget that they do have to be on their best behavior on camera. I know I'd be sure to cross all my T's and dot my i's.

Juiced-03

Established Member
My uncle works for SacSheriff, and Cops asked his department if they could tag along. My uncle showed me the footage on TV one time. It is definitely real, but very edited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread