Is there value in maintaining a bone stock, unmolested '04 Terminator as is?

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I purchased a silver '04 convertible with 29k miles that is completely original except for the tires. Top is like new. I realize builders prefer coupes, but Fastlane Mortorsports is not far from me and I am wondering about the wisdom of leaving this one just like it is, versus spending some money on it when I get bored with it in 12 months. This specimen will never be tracked or raced (in any premeditated fashion, anyway).

What say ye?

Steve Cea

Established Member
Yes absolutely!! Any collector car is worth far more money in bone stock trim , modifications hurt a cars collector value I don't care what collectable car we are talking about ! An option if you want to upgrade various items would be to save all your stock parts so if and when you go to sell it you can put the car back to stock ! Hope this answers your question!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
You'll get plenty of different opinions on this subject. Do with it, what you will, it's a personal choice. I have a low miles (5,950) Mystichome coupe that I've modified to my liking. I could care less what other people are doing with these cars, do what you like and like what you do.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
You'll get plenty of different opinions on this subject. Do with it, what you will, it's a personal choice. I have a low miles (5,950) Mystichome coupe that I've modified to my liking. I could care less what other people are doing with these cars, do what you like and like what you do.
But to my question in the OP. If you started with bone stock, and modded, do you think you could get the same money for the car in a sale? I keep cars a couple of years, max.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
It's an academic question. I'm not asking the merits of spending money I may or may not get back. I get that.

The question is, does there seem to be value to buyers in finding unmolested examples, versus heavily modded?

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
It's a car, and I don't see the fun in owning a car to NOT do as you wish to it. It already sounds like you want to modify it, SO DO IT! This is a car that I had always wanted from 2003 when I first rode in one. Enjoy the car, do as you wish to it, and don't view it as an investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
But to my question in the OP. If you started with bone stock, and modded, do you think you could get the same money for the car in a sale? I keep cars a couple of years, max.

If you bought the car as an investment, then don't do a thing to the car and don't drive up the miles. Now hope you can find someone that will pay what you did or a little more for the car with more miles than when you bought it. Two years is not a good time frame to gauge a cars value but in forty years, who knows.

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
If you bought the car as an investment then I think you made the wrong purchase honestly. I don't see the 03-04 Cobra's being a collector car anytime soon. If it was a limited production car like the '00 Cobra R then maybe, but with nearly 20k Cobra's produced, I just don't see it.

However, I will say that I never lost money on both of my Terminators I've had and sold.

Terminator Dave

Established Member
I agree with Steve. Keep all the parts you take off to return it to stock, but I agree, sadly..these are not collectors cars. They are rare in the scheme of things; look at how many zillions of GTs were made. Then again, if you want a heavily modded Mustang, pour it all into a GT. Terminators are special; supercharged, T56, IRS, etc. You don't see that in any other car.

Sent from my 2PS64 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Steve Cea

Established Member
If you bought the car as an investment then I think you made the wrong purchase honestly. I don't see the 03-04 Cobra's being a collector car anytime soon. If it was a limited production car like the '00 Cobra R then maybe, but with nearly 20k Cobra's produced, I just don't see it.

However, I will say that I never lost money on both of my Terminators I've had and sold.
You answered your own question, these cars will most certainly and already are collectable? Not uncommon to see nice examples selling for near what they were new ! They made 20,000 Buick Grand Nationals as well , they aren't collectable? The 03/04 Cobra is the grandfather to everything you see today , before them supercharging was rare if not non existent for a production vehicle , now everything is supercharged , not to mention the 03/04 Cobra with simple bolt ons is still relevant to this day ! These cars will spank or run with almost everything made today with simple bolt on mods . I still feel these motors are the best bang for your buck Ford has ever produced , My Cobra has 7k miles and lays down 686 rwhp with bolt ons !! I also have All the stock parts !!

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
.....The 03/04 Cobra is the grandfather to everything you see today , before them supercharging was rare if not non existent for a production vehicle , now everything is supercharged , not to mention the 03/04 Cobra with simple bolt ons is still relevant to this day ! These cars will spank or run with almost everything made today with simple bolt on mods . I still feel these motors are the best bang for your buck Ford has ever produced , My Cobra has 7k miles and lays down 686 rwhp with bolt ons !! I also have All the stock parts !!...

Oh for ****'s sake here we go again.

We know, we know. If the TERMI were human, he'd be Jesus himself.

You are telling the guy that his 30k mile convertible cobra is a collector that shouldn't be touched or modified. REALLY?

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I think people focus too much on if thier car will appreciate into a six figure car in five years. These cars(terminators) are special cars to the people who own them or have an affinity for them because of an emotional connection to it. That could be from wanting one since childhood or the automotive significance aspect or what have you. But don't bet that our connection and love of these cars is shared by other car enthusiasts because not everyone has the same feelings.
Enjoy the car man. I have a 9000 mile stock one and a 2.3 whipple on the shelf about to go in.
I modified the hell out of my 93 Cobra, but kept the stock engine and parts. If they really take off in value one day then I'll restore it to like new condition. But im not counting on that.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Who knew this would be the same as the 45acp versus 9mm debate we have annually on the gun forum.

My bad. :)

Users who are viewing this thread