Is there value in maintaining a bone stock, unmolested '04 Terminator as is?

badmpg03

Established Member
Well I need to chime in! :)
I say mod it.
To keep it stock only to get another $3-5K appreciation from the sale of it after a few years? Sacrifice is not worth it here my friend.
Do you know how much more fun these cars get after you put $3-5K in it???? :cool::cool:

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Still mods or not, keeping it low miles is boring and not fun. Mods on a low mile car seems redundant your not using it why mod it. Your investment when you bought shouldn't take any more modifications to retaining value. The price for a low mile beat on and put away with dents and abuse may be a better repair and mod type investment if the purchase price is right. At 20k miles that's not low enough for value retention because there's one with less miles someplace else. These cars hold their value based on the fun factor now but in 30 years it will be nostalgic originality.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
All tho some will do it....They've pretty much moved past being daily drivers IMO that might accumulate a lot of miles. So many better options to daily. Maybe 8-10 years ago, but not so much today. They eat alternators and lots of parts are now discontinued if you unfortuanely get involved with a wreck (odds go way up DD and thats the quickest way to devalue these cars). I only drive mine 1000-1500 per year and I get my 700hp fill of enjoyment out of it without question. I would not enjoy those every Saturday or so cruises 100% stock. At this point, not even 450 pullied would cut it. I want to be able to fry tires thru 3 gears at will... but also idle and low speed putt like factory, thats enough fun for me every week or so.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
OP, was the seller the original owner?
I'm the third owner. Seller had it for 10 years garaged. Put maybe 10k on it while he had it. Middle aged upper management guy who spent more time in his boat with his kids than with the Cobra. When he bought it it was a local trade (by an older guy supposedly) about four years old with 20K on the clock. Carfax pretty much reflected same. I don't know that age matters because I'm 61 and occasionally drive it like I stole it. The rest of the time I stare at it. lol

Last edited:

dom418

Established Member
#1. Your car has too many miles on it to be worth anything
#2. Verts are less desirable and bring less money than coupes. This is fact.
#3. Drive with a bedazzled golf glove

Drive the damn thing. There is no reason you couldn't enjoy it stock, or if modded, keep the stock parts.

If this was a discussion about a wrapper car, no question keeping it stock.

Some of you guys get a little crazy with the collectibility of the 03-04. A clean Terminator will always bring strong money, modded or not. If modified the right way with out hacking the car up, will still bring strong money. This is fact

Not every wants a stock car, people will pay up for a modded cobra. Condition, color and miles are everything.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Not everyone wants a stock car, people will pay up for a modded cobra. Condition, color and miles are everything.

Agreed, I couldn't sell a 67 chevelle, every one wanted one already gone thru. I say there are too many ways to go with them today buy it and then pay me or someone else to make it what you want. Its tough making something that someone else has to have, 03/04 cobra w 2.9 whipple included.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree with Steve. Keep all the parts you take off to return it to stock, but I agree, sadly..these are not collectors cars. They are rare in the scheme of things; look at how many zillions of GTs were made. Then again, if you want a heavily modded Mustang, pour it all into a GT. Terminators are special; supercharged, T56, IRS, etc. You don't see that in any other car.
That is why I asked the OP if he was the original owner. The more previous owners, the more difficult it is to determine if the car has always been stock. It is not uncommon for Terminators to be modded and then returned to stock form to pull more money on the sale of the aftermarket parts as well as to advertise the car as being "factory stock" to command more money on the sale. Documentation that details the history of the car can be really important. :)

P.S. - Not everyone, of course, cares about past mods, etc. They're usually more concerned about the overall condition of the car.

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
Interesting responses here. A few things to consider. First I agree right now that verts are not as desirable as coupes however as these cars get older so do the people owning them. If history repeats like it typically does in years to come the verts will become more desired than they are today. Desirable doesn't always = $$$ however. The 03/04 cobra will always be one of the most collectible modern mustangs that's without a doubt but only time will tell how valuable they will be. History has also told us that original cars will bring more $$$ than non original cars so the question is do you wait for xxx amount of years for history to repeat itself or say F it and enjoy today! Only you can make that decision.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Resto mods are doing very well and increasing the selling price of almost every type of muscle car and truck. What will they do to resto mod the 03/04 cobra with? Hover? Auto drive? Tesla conversion?

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Very few cars will truly appreciate.
I bet it will fetch a respectable price in coming years, but nothing out of alignment with inflation and desirability.
Think of the classic car market today, but exclude the super rare stuff. More comparable to your main stream trims ect... not your Boss 429, Shelby, or Hemi cars.
Your 20K car will be worth 35K. Not really a return considering inflation.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
HA HA HA, ridiculous statement (Well maybe not if you're John Force or someone use to crazy high horse power).

My Cobra's are practically bone stock (still run a factory Eaton, no porting and no pulley). I do have some very minor mods (cat back, CAI, Acufab TB, 26 spline, Mcleod clutch and a tune for higher octane fuel). And I ONLY drive my car occasionally.

Every time I get in my Cobra it is FAR from boring to drive.

Everyone has their own opinion and experiences (Guess that's why there is a thread asking if people with 700HP are bored with their car).

When thinking about my experiences with my Cobras NEVER does the word boring come to mind..........
Most of my fellow American auto enthusiasts are a rare and backwards group that don't make much sense. "If she ain't burnin out when you put her inta dem der' forth and fifth gears, ye aint doin rite!"
This car is overpowered at 500hp...

Users who are viewing this thread