Issues shifting at stop

TrucidoDeus

Established Member
So the car had minor issues getting into gear when I purchased it a few months ago, but it has progressively gotten worse, near the point of undrivable now. The clutch barely has 5000 miles on it...

While the engine is off the transmission goes into each gear super smooth. As soon as it starts it also goes into gear fine. It's as soon as it moves that first time that it has issues getting into any other gear.

Also, the car has a clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster. I have the clutch engaging/disengaging within the first tiny bit of pedal movement. BUT while the clutch is fully depressed and I go to shift into first, it doesn't want to go in and it also lurches forward a tiny bit...

Any ideas guys? Possible throwout/pilot bearing issue?

TrucidoDeus

Established Member
Yup, I've got it tightened to the max and it's still not affecting the shifting ability and also does the little lurch. Like I was saying, it's engaging/disengaging within an inch of the top of the pedal travel :/

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Sounds like the clutch is shot already, when new the clutch disengagement is further down in pedal movement if the adjustments are at their finial position, there maybe another adjustment on the end of the cable at the clutch, the tension on the TOB could be to much and make it fail sooner

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Yup, I've got it tightened to the max and it's still not affecting the shifting ability and also does the little lurch. Like I was saying, it's engaging/disengaging within an inch of the top of the pedal travel :/
Oh, my bad, I originally thought you meant it was engaging just off the floor.

Not sure, I'm at a loss - but best of luck with it.

TrucidoDeus

Established Member
I'm going to just pull the transmission and take a look at the clutch. It was purchased and installed right before I bought it and the guy I bought it from says it was one thing, the guy that installed it says it was another, and the color I can see says another. >.>

Had some pretty nasty slippage once or twice, it may already be toast...

hotcobra03

Established Member
Is pedal hard to push?

I had issue like this..had to put car in gear than start it..got to point it was hard to drive..

I thought clutch after it had 365k..

After installing new clutch still had issue.

I had also did new cable..

What I found is cable was binding..even new..

I took cable off..sprayed wd thru cable ..

Been fine now..wish I did this before clutch

keith89

Established Member

cable adjuster was turned the wrong way. counter clockwise causing a tight cable means the clutch is not disengaging fully, which makes it hard to shift at a stop. this also wears your clutch out when you're stopped and in gear. You need to turn the adjuster clockwise until you have a little bit of freeplay.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with Keith. Op are you watching the tob when you make adjustments? Try backing it off to where the tob is barely spinning, if at all while in neutral.

TrucidoDeus

Established Member
Yes, I had adjusted it.
We just got done replacing the clutch, ToB, and Pilot bearing. The previous owner had put this clutch in just to get it sold and it wasn't up to the task. The pilot bearing was also completely shot, though it made no noise while in the car.
Just got done putting in a new McLeod RXT and McLeod aluminum flywheel last night. Shifts great now with the new clutch, now I just got 500 more miles of break-in driving to go! lolz...

venumusDSG

So the car had minor issues getting into gear when I purchased it a few months ago, but it has progressively gotten worse, near the point of undrivable now. The clutch barely has 5000 miles on it...

While the engine is off the transmission goes into each gear super smooth. As soon as it starts it also goes into gear fine. It's as soon as it moves that first time that it has issues getting into any other gear.

Also, the car has a clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster. I have the clutch engaging/disengaging within the first tiny bit of pedal movement. BUT while the clutch is fully depressed and I go to shift into first, it doesn't want to go in and it also lurches forward a tiny bit...

Any ideas guys? Possible throwout/pilot bearing issue?
Idk if you fixed this problem yet but sounds as same as mine did. It was my throwout bearing got over heated at this point last owner had stock cable on it with firewall adjuster so i did new act clutch an a new adjustable clutch cable an tossed out firewall adjuster now it seems great. Thank u

Sent from my LGMP260 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread