Issues with Samsung?

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
Quick back story I bought a Samsung tv in 2009 and have been extremely happy with it. I then bought a Samsung sound bar in 2014 and have nothing but good things to say.

Well fast forward to Black Friday 2016 I buy a 55" 4K smart tv from Samsung. At first everything was fine, but then I noticed some weird green lights in the corner that could only be noticed when the back screen was black. It wasn't a huge deal so I kind of dismissed it, until I saw my buddies 70" Samsung with crystal clear screen. So I call tech support and a tech comes out and says they are going to replace the screen. Well weeks and weeks go by and finally they say they can't get a new screen and that I have to get a whole new model.

While this is happening the sound starts going out on my tv and some of the apps are skipping (like when you have bad internet connection and it kind of pauses). So I'm getting frustrated as this tv is now useless. I'm watching Netflix and etc on my older tv while they keep dicking me around. I call twice a week for updates and their customer service blows. I get a new transaction number every time and I have to explain the whole situation each time because they have no record of my history.

Well I finally get a new tv about 3 months after I first called and in this time my friends with Samsung phones / washer and dryers / etc are having problems as well.
So I guess where this is going is did something change with Samsung? They used to be a solid brand? Now it seems like they are making junk stuff?

TL : DR

Does Samsung suck now?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have samsung S6 Edge .. no issues and a Samsung Refrigerator with no issues. They have had some recent problems with their S7 line and their washers exploding. My take is they have some quality control issues to figure out.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Samsung is hit and miss. We've had two Samsung refrigerators. First one broke just after the warranty expired. They wanted a fortune to fix it. NO! So we bought another Samsung refrigerator (higher model) and after a year we like it. I do have an extended warranty on this one, though.

The last two Samsung plasma TVs we had broke right after the warranty expired. Service was horrible. In one case Samsung charged me around $500. to fix a sound board issue, and then literally a week after the part warranty expired that one went bad, too. They wanted to charge me $500.+ again to replace the bad replacement part. Even after I explained that (A) this was a known issue with that model TV, and (B) I already replaced the sound board once at a substantial cost, they wouldn't help me at all. They just wanted more of my money. NO again! I'm done with Samsung, at least as far as TVs. Their reliability/quality has suffered over the past few years IMO.

blue 07

Established Member
Funny you mention Samsung. I have had 4 problems with my 2+ year old dishwasher and now I went out yesterday to replace it, not with a Samsung !! Only 2 years with a $600 dishwasher and its dead already:mad:. Not cool.

fishpick

Established Member
We have a "smart" TV of theirs - it's clunky, slow, error prone and it spawned the longest ongoing support call ever... with one of the most memorable online chats ever...
My wife took over because I gave up...
Support guys name was Merlin...
He says "I'm afraid I not help you"...
Wife's response - "Don't be afraid, just help me"...

3 weeks of villas, emails and chats just to fix a "bad app" on the "not so smart" TV...
Never Samsung anything ever again.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Well damn it anyways! Looking to replace a fridge in the near future and my wife saw a Samsung that she likes, hmm.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
We had a OTR Samsung nuker that gave up the ghost in like a short 2 years, kinda left a sour taste in my mouth towards the brand. Recently upon getting convinced by a diehard Samsung friend, I bought a 65" Samsung 8500 series 4K TV around Black Friday and knock on wood, no issues yet.. I did also buy a Samsung sound bar at the same time and that has kind of glitched here and there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I have samsung S6 Edge .. no issues and a Samsung Refrigerator with no issues. They have had some recent problems with their S7 line and their washers exploding. My take is they have some quality control issues to figure out.
S7 and Note 7 are two completely different phones.

Anyways OP, I mostly have older Samsung tech and dont have any issues. My oldest Sammy Plasma TV is going on 10 years in 8 months and still runs like a champ (knock on wood). But my brother has had nothing but issues on his newer Samsung TV’s. I heard about the new TV’s not being as great as older.

My Samsung fridge is 4 months old and runs great but only time will tell. Got extended warranty on her though, just in case.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Well damn it anyways! Looking to replace a fridge in the near future and my wife saw a Samsung that she likes, hmm.
If it is one of the higher end you should be ok. Ours ran us about two grand. Only complaint has been the ice dispenser is a bit slow to start up

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
If it is one of the higher end you should be ok. Ours ran us about two grand. Only complaint has been the ice dispenser is a bit slow to start up
Yeah, it was pricey. Black stainless and about $2,500. I didn't do any research on anything yet. I only know she wants the black stainless stuff next time.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Yeah, it was pricey. Black stainless and about $2,500. I didn't do any research on anything yet. I only know she wants the black stainless stuff next time.
Is it a side by side? Price and description sounds like it's the one I bought in August. The third door for drinks is awesome.

Never had any issues with my phones, but my Samsung soundbar died at about two years.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Funny you mention Samsung. I have had 4 problems with my 2+ year old dishwasher and now I went out yesterday to replace it, not with a Samsung !! Only 2 years with a $600 dishwasher and its dead already:mad:. Not cool.

Bosch is the only way to fly for dishwashers.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
So far I've had zero issues with it, and love the black stainless. No finger or nose prints (from the dogs).
Yep, that's what she likes about it. We'll eventually go that in all the kitchen stuff, and it still matches the decor we have.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I legit have had pretty good experience with my Vizio 4k 55". After being diehard Samsung back in the day, I looked into their similar offerings and found they liked to do the ol' switcheroo on the panels depending on the model level. Based on where they were made, who made them, price point, and retailer, you could either get a great tv or a junk one.

The Vizio panel is superior and the UI is simpler (not the chromecast version). Streams 4k and has a pretty decent processor and upscaling. Lots of apps. Might not be my first choice everytime but I'll always give em a look for the money. Samsung can suck me left nut after the girlfriends blue ray player showed it's ass and is slower than the oldest of old smart phones.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
when I was shopping for a TV it was pretty disappointing how Samsung was making their unit specs hard to find. I wanted to make sure the new TV would support the upcoming 4k security standards as well the next change in the ultra HD stuff. Vizio had all the info right up front, I had to dig and dig to find it on the Samsung units, maybe its because none of the sets I was looking at supported either

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
We have a 48" built-in subzero Samsung fridge. It was around $7k after taxes.

2cgiyw.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-RS27FDBTNSR-Refrigerator-48-Inch-Stainless/dp/B00G4DZRLY

Users who are viewing this thread