jlt ram air intake w/ shaker vs true cold air intake

cobra916

Established Member
No man you're wrong. Apparently the JLT intake makes no power difference between a drop in filter. I guess American Muscle is lying to me about the huge difference it makes. :shrug:

yeah..shii when i bought my air jordans i was pissed to!! they said they would make me jump higher.. what is this world comming to??

smitty2919

Established Member
No man you're wrong. Apparently the JLT intake makes no power difference between a drop in filter. I guess American Muscle is lying to me about the huge difference it makes. :shrug:

Damn, what it must be like to live your life being gullible as you are. Aftermarket parts companies thrive on people like you. They can prob say a JLT will make your d!ck bigger and you would buy one.

I see there is no point to continue in this thread....aaaand I'm out.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member

That's marketing. There are many mods available that provide very little to no power gain on engines making up to 350rwhp. To name a few; throttle bodies, larger MAFs, any one of the numerous CAIs/RAIs, cat backs, shorty headers, plasma boosters, and the "high dollar" spark plugs. Mods that can be made that offer no gains are ported TBs, polished upper intakes, shaker diverters, along with many others.

Fomoco69

Established Member
The stock air intake system sucks!!!!!!!!

OP get the JLT ram air intake well worth the money and on a side note the Shaker does not "ram" any air.The ws6 4th gen trans am has a ram air system for a modern car the mach's system is fair at most.

IMO :shrug:
I feel that the Factory shaker only brings in a little air @ freeway speeds approx 50 MPH plus .....mine came with a JLT set-up & I easily modified mine for $15.00 with hardware store 4" aluminum tubing & scoop bringing in additional intake air from fender well .....works great !

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
the shaker brings in no air at any speed. The stock intake tube brings in enough air to support any amount of power a stock engine is going to make.

Fomoco69

Established Member
the shaker brings in no air at any speed. The stock intake tube brings in enough air to support any amount of power a stock engine is going to make.
Ok....whatever the case....it runs good...mission accomplished

blkvenm97

Established Member
I have not posted here in a good while but I felt the need to comment on this old thread since it was revived again just over a year ago anyways when it was a 6 year old thread lol. You cannot dyno before and after gains or losses from adding or taking away the shaker because sitting on a dyno it's not going to be the same as driving down the road at 80+ mph in a real world scenerio. The jlt cia seems to make slightly more power than rai on a dyno because of thus but I'd be willing to bet in the real world where the shaker can do its thing it would be much closer. I prefer to keep the shaker functional on these cars. The filter isn't as far away from the throttle body and there's less bends and this is all good...it also allows the shaker to still function. I do believe the shaker has some function to it in the real world at speed not on a stationary dyno. It sits too low stock to take full advantage of it...best to raise it up about an inch...then combined with a lightning 90mm maf and jlt rai you have the perfect setup and I do believe it's better than just a k&n. A car with k&n catback and tune might have made 300 on a generous dyno but cars with aftermarket intakes and long tubes and catless midpipes and every other bolt on part have made as high as 320-330 whp and that additional power isn't just coming from the long tubes themselves. They don't add a ton of power no...I believe it to be a few hp above a drop in and it probably adds some response as well and it certainly looks much better. They don't cost all that much and I believe it's worth the cost but it's all in what you want. On the cobras of any year I'd go cai but on a mach I'd go rai with a raised shaker for full better functionality. Just my .02 from a long time member and reader of mm&ff for almost 20 years and owner of 7 different stang myself. I'm no expert but I'm certainly no rookie. Still waiting on these dyno graphs btw....have a nice day.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Facts:
cold air intakes add no power to n/a cobras and Mach 1s.
ram air intakes add no power to n/a cobras and Mach 1s.
the shaker adds no power or performance

I've run my mach 1 through the 1/4 mile with the shaker both connected and disconnected and the times and mph stayed the same.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Interesting read for sure. Im just finishing up bringing back an 03 Mach from the dead. I just put in an 05 avaitor motor (bought the car with a trashed motor). New clutch, brakes, etc. But it also came with a catless x pipe and a brand new exhaust. I wanted to add a little extra budget power...looks like a drop in K&N is my best bet Todd?

Users who are viewing this thread