Just got a Terminator, and 68 Miles later it's broke.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
How worried should I be over having someone install my new R&P?

I don't feel like buying all the specialized tools and trying to set the back lash.

I have the R&P and Ford install kit. I'm looking to just pull the whole axle and drop it off somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Whep, called a bunch of local transmission and repair shops and got a lot of "huh" when I was asking about changing the gears on my Cobra.

Not confidence inspiring. Just going to do it myself.

Watched like 5 hours of videos on YouTube, so at this point I'm a pro already.

5D34343A-0831-4B12-AF75-693908BE8E24_zpsgvtbd9qk.jpg

MG0h3

Established Member
Cool man. First time or two youll never think you have the pattern correct.

Just pay attention to where the shims are when you tear it apart and start with those.

EDIT: Youre changing gear ratio...reusing the old shim sets probably wont get you all that close

hotcobra03

Established Member
how is job going..
i just did ring and pinion on mine..

rear cover leaking is common..i found to let rear sit for a day before filling with oil will help the seal last longer..i only use rtv

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
how is job going..
i just did ring and pinion on mine..

rear cover leaking is common..i found to let rear sit for a day before filling with oil will help the seal last longer..i only use rtv

Started cleaning the garage, got side tracked and haven't started .

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
With TX2k just 16 days away I've been trying to get my butt in gear.

Pulled the rear leaving the car out side. I need room in the garage to rebuild it.

Ugh, cold and soaking wet. But as my father always said, you can only get so wet.

7A1EC15C-F0EE-42C1-9E18-518007F3BBB0_zpsm7gpfcru.jpg

Happy Early Birthday to me. I have a Eaton Detroit Trutrac!! Gears are also 4.10 as I suspected.

I
CF372E7C-7B0D-4959-A4C1-2B1A8B9428AB_zpsmfmway4t.jpg

I also have a downs cover wth magnets. No metal scrappies.

I'll continue tomorrow.

MG0h3

Established Member
hmmmm..maybe you could swap with someone. Im sure somebody wants that gearing and the trutrack. Have to get lucky and find someone semi close though

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
hmmmm..maybe you could swap with someone. Im sure somebody wants that gearing and the trutrack. Have to get lucky and find someone semi close though

Why would I want to trade someone?

I already have everything to rebuild the rear and a set of 3.31s

I was thinking of upgrading to a Eaton and sure enough, I got one. It also explains the slack in the drive shaft and some of the clunking.

MG0h3

Established Member
Just thought it could save some money and time. Plus if the eaton makes noise I dont know why you'd want it unless you really plan on going to the strip.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Just thought it could save some money and time. Plus if the eaton makes noise I dont know why you'd want it unless you really plan on going to the strip.

You know it's a SRA swapped car... right

But no, I did think the same thing originally, but I'd still need/want to rebuild the new axle and swap half shafts.

So it wouldn't save any money.

The Eaton explains a lot of what's been going on. While they are a bit sloppy, they are strong, reliable, maintenance free and get the job done.

MG0h3

Established Member
Ya I could see it's sra. I don't know how the eaton acts but if it's anything like any other locker, I wouldn't want it in anything other than a race car that's sees very limited street use

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Ya I could see it's sra. I don't know how the eaton acts but if it's anything like any other locker, I wouldn't want it in anything other than a race car that's sees very limited street use

It's not a Locker. Those are very aggressive with a clicking ratcheting action. They are also indestructible with instant lock however.

The Truetrac is a Helical Geared Torsen LSD.

It uses worm gears to lock up and has fantastic road manners. They run virtually silent as well.

Mine has the known design issue of having a lock of slack in the drive shaft. The Eatons are built to a loser tolerance so there is 15-20 degrees of drive train play before it turns the wheel. This results in a "conk" sound between shifts or when letting off to decel.

I was thinking I had a clutch LSD that was shot.

The Eaton ($400) is comparable to a Ford Racing Torsen T2 ($550) and OBX Helical ($330).

TooFast98Cobra

#1 Vent Shade Installer
Established Member
Nice cobra. Sucks all the issues your having . I had a 93 cobra that tested my patience way too many times and i ended up selling it because i swear it was cursed from the first day strapping it down on the trailer. Good luck with your progress.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I have a 33 spline detroit true track in my SRA. Its awesome. Very quiet and take 4k 2 step launches like a champ.

Last edited:

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
All pulled apart. Will clean tomorrow. Came apart super easy. Axles are beefy.

Users who are viewing this thread