Just picked up a 2011 GT500

Joes 2003 SVT

Established Member
I traded my 2003 Cobra convertible in on a mint 2011 GT500 convertible with 14K on her. I am so in love with this car! :) It is such a treat driving this baby. :) She is 100% bone stock at the moment. My question is though is the factory stock air intake really restrictive? For right now I am thinking about getting a tune for her, maybe a Lund or a VMP tune. They seem to be the good tuners for this type of vehicle.

1st usa car

Established Member
OEM CAI on a 2011 is not restrictive -- you probably wont need or get gains from upgrading CAI until you upgrade your blower.... I am thinking around 700 crank hp is where u start maxing the OEM CAI --- its been a long time since I did that research --

Joes 2003 SVT

Established Member
OEM CAI on a 2011 is not restrictive -- you probably wont need or get gains from upgrading CAI until you upgrade your blower.... I am thinking around 700 crank hp is where u start maxing the OEM CAI --- its been a long time since I did that research --
Good to know because I really like the looks of the stock air intake. For right now I am going to just get a VMP tune done to her and later on get some pulleys. I gotta be careful though because my wife hates it when I put money and mods into my cars, lol.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Congrats. I've thought about making that jump recently, but I don't think I can part with my Terminator so I might end up getting an 11-12 GT hardtop as a second stang.

Plus to be honest - I worry about the 11-12's being the 99/01 Cobra of the future. That only 13/14's will be seen as the icon of the era.

Papaw

Established Member
Welcome and good choice on the year GT500 you got. It came with some nice upgrades from previous years.
What is the biggest difference you notice between your Cobra and the GT500?
I went with VMP for my tune but bought it as part of a power package: 2.5in upper pulley, idler and tuner with their tunes pre-installed. It was a nice kick in the pants. Once you buy a tune (and the tuner to be able to install it) it's not much more to get the pulley and add 3 or 4 more pounds of boost. Like I said, a nice kick in the pants.

Unless your wife kicks harder.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Congrats om your Shelby! 2011 is a fine year, i absolutely love mine!

Im going to buck the trend here and recommend Lethal Performance for parts and Lund Racing for your tune. Ill just say that Lund Racing really is a step above. Id put JDM Engineering up there as well though I've not had one of their tunes.

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
Congrats om your Shelby! 2011 is a fine year, i absolutely love mine!

Im going to buck the trend here and recommend Lethal Performance for parts and Lund Racing for your tune. Ill just say that Lund Racing really is a step above. Id put JDM Engineering up there as well though I've not had one of their tunes.

More good choices. I've dealt with 2 of the above and have been very pleased.

Joes 2003 SVT

Established Member
20170417_132258.jpg
20170417_132258.jpg

Joes 2003 SVT

Established Member
Welcome and good choice on the year GT500 you got. It came with some nice upgrades from previous years.
What is the biggest difference you notice between your Cobra and the GT500?
I went with VMP for my tune but bought it as part of a power package: 2.5in upper pulley, idler and tuner with their tunes pre-installed. It was a nice kick in the pants. Once you buy a tune (and the tuner to be able to install it) it's not much more to get the pulley and add 3 or 4 more pounds of boost. Like I said, a nice kick in the pants.

Unless your wife kicks harder.
The biggest difference is the comfort and the ease of driving the 2011. The 03 seemed hard at times to shift because I had to shift hard going into each gear. The 2011 shifter is worlds better and easier to go into each gear. Also the gear location of the 2003 felt out of place. Power wise both cars feel identical. My 2003 had the full usual basic mods, pulley, tune, and exhaust.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I like yourcar OP.

I went from a modded (VMP 650rwhp) '04 Cobra to a 2012 Shelby.

I bought it with the mods listed in my sig. It dyno's lower than my Cobra did, but is "Seat of the Pants" faster. Partly due to having 3:73 gears

You need a nice set of True Forged wheels and some lowering springs

Call VMP and drive up to em...add the mods tune it on their dynojet, skip the mail order tune

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
Have gotten nothing but Lund tunes on cars so far - and all have been spot on. All have been tuned for the best combination for engine safety, driveability, and performance. My current car was tuned by them with an SCT Xcal with fine tuning through datalogging. LundRacing is receptive to communication and offers fast responses. I have purchased their Ngauge gauge/tuner with the zt2 datalogger and boost and fuel sensors and it should all be going into the car next week with the base tune based on the current Xcal tune. May datlog once just to confirm all is as good as it can possibly be and get a small revision if needed. From what I have seen the Ngauge will load any tune and/or revision quickly in ballpark only 3ish minutes. Know a number of people with bigger power running Lund tunes and all have been very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread