kb vs.whipple vs. ported eaton

svo90

Established Member
right now i have bbk l/t,jlt s/r,sct2600,79# injectors,gt-40 pump and fpdm,accufab t/b and plenim,2.75 upper and 4# lower,off road h-pipe,flow master cat back and i want to upgrade but my dyno numbers seem kind of low to me, i had it dyno'd at hp performance in rosewell nm on a mustang dyno, 419 hp and 498 tq with 17 degrees of timing just seems low compared to every one eles on here. i want to know what my stock motor will take every day and keep in mind that i do not drive every day just on weekend and cruise nights. thanks in advance guys .

tj04cobra

Established Member
mustang dynos read lower than dynojet dynos from what i understand but i have never really heard how much lower it reads exactly.

xavier296

Always another project.
Established Member
This question is covered multiple times on this forum. Good answers can be found by searching the terminator threads with advanced search.

I agree your hp numbers seem very low. You are overspinning your eaton, which makes great torque up top but hurts your top end performance. You are a great candidate for a screw type blower.

moonltgold

right now i have bbk l/t,jlt s/r,sct2600,79# injectors,gt-40 pump and fpdm,accufab t/b and plenim,2.75 upper and 4# lower,off road h-pipe,flow master cat back and i want to upgrade but my dyno numbers seem kind of low to me, i had it dyno'd at hp performance in rosewell nm on a mustang dyno, 419 hp and 498 tq with 17 degrees of timing just seems low compared to every one eles on here. i want to know what my stock motor will take every day and keep in mind that i do not drive every day just on weekend and cruise nights. thanks in advance guys .

It did one once - back to back, and Dyno-jet was about 9% higher. So figure around 8-10% more I would guess. Plus, you're in NM (Roswell and Carlbad, NM are probably 3000-3500 ft above sea level (less oxygen), so that's another reason why your rwhp is low -- you probably lose about 5 rwhp for every 1000 ft.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I loved my ported Eaton, but if I had kept my Cobra I would have definitely gone with a twin-screw (Whipple). :rockon:

AaronK

Established Member
I agree with what is stated above. You are overspinning your blower (either get a port or go twin screw) mustang dyno's normally read a bit lower than dynojet, and you may be able to add more timing :shrug: 17 seems kinda low, I'm running 21 degrees.

What I would do, sell the eaton and get a 2.3 Whipple or 2.6 Kenne bell (which ever one you find a better deal on)

moddedmystic

Established Member
Ya I gotta agree with everyone else on this, overspinning the stock eaton creates way too much heat.
Either put a bigger upper on it or stock lower and up the timing.
Otherwise if your on a budget and wanna keep your pulley combo I'd send it in to Stiegemeier they have a huge sale on right now and a drawing for a free blower port!
~Mark
:beer:

evil04svtcobra

Established Member

ok the 17 degrees of timing is telling me this car is way under tuned!

you have injectors for a 800 hp car!

the timing for a ported eaton should be like 20 - 22 degrees(some people go as much as 24*). and that will be safe as long as it is getting fuel and air/fuel is correct.

get that thing ported and re tuned and you should see a lot of improvement!

i would like to see your dyno chart... your curve of your hp is probably getting peak hp way before 6000rpm's which would be a sign of over spinning your supercharger. now the eaton can take a lot more, but not until you get it ported.

i was running 17 psi on a stage three steig. and put down over 500 to the ground. i've seen guys in here over 550rwhp with a eaton... it has a lot left in it!

Last edited:

svt4cobra6

this may be covered somewhere else but I could not find it. Is a 2.8 upper ok without a port using the eaton assuming a good tune with cold air, high flow catted hpipe and mag catback?

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Any of those options will be a great upgrade from where you're at now and your motor will be able to handle plenty provided you have a good tune.

This question is covered multiple times on this forum. Good answers can be found by searching the terminator threads with advanced search.

I agree your hp numbers seem very low. You are overspinning your eaton, which makes great torque up top but hurts your top end performance. You are a great candidate for a screw type blower.

His pulley combo is fine, numbers are low due to him having no timing.

I agree on overspinning your stock eaton.

No he's not
You would see higher hp numbers with a bigger pulley. IE 2.93

No he wouldn't

ok the 17 degrees of timing is telling me this car is way under tuned!

you have injectors for a 800 hp car!

the timing for a ported eaton should be like 20 - 22 degrees(some people go as much as 24*). and that will be safe as long as it is getting fuel and air/fuel is correct.

get that thing ported and re tuned and you should see a lot of improvement!

i would like to see your dyno chart... your curve of your hp is probably getting peak hp way before 6000rpm's which would be a sign of over spinning your supercharger. now the eaton can take a lot more, but not until you get it ported.

i was running 17 psi on a stage three steig. and put down over 500 to the ground. i've seen guys in here over 550rwhp with a eaton... it has a lot left in it!

+1. His pulley combo is a bit agressive, but there is still much more power left on the table with the timing. And it will really shine once he has the blower ported.

pausho17

Established Member
yeah dude, way to much boost for that eaton. they say on a stock eaton u dont want to go more then the 2.8 or 2.75 pulley with stock lower. other than that u are just loosing power. Stiegmeir says that a ported eaton will handle up to 17 psi max.

f8lbite04svt

Established Member
this may be covered somewhere else but I could not find it. Is a 2.8 upper ok without a port using the eaton assuming a good tune with cold air, high flow catted hpipe and mag catback?

Yes, you will be fine with that combo, thats what I have, in sig below

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
2.8/4lb 23* here unported and daily driven, it made 450/500. You just need some timing and a good tune. Sure we're spinning the eaton up and im not going to say a port wont do you some good of course it will, it just seems most dont go with these combos. I have yet to see complaints from people with a serious pulley combos.

Last edited:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
yeah dude, way to much boost for that eaton. they say on a stock eaton u dont want to go more then the 2.8 or 2.75 pulley with stock lower. other than that u are just loosing power.

Please do some more research and talk to educated people before you post that garbage again.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I agree with 96stanggt. Too many people believe what they read on the forums, and are too worried about spinning the eaton. These things make good power and great torque when you spin them hard.

Users who are viewing this thread