Keep the '15 5.0 or 392 charger scat pack

byeofcr

Established Member
so, the dilemma in a nutshell.
1. 2 kids (2 and 3) and car seats in my car. Its bearable to get them in and out but definetly a pain in the ass
2. I cant mod the car like i would sans wife and kids. Just not something in the cards right now. Not even a car back. Its not an issue of not affording the parts, just doing it in a timely manner..
3. I dont drag or auto x these days.
4. 4 door fun car could solve some headaches

I test drove one today and overall impressed. Moves surprisingly well for a 5000lb car. Took a cul de sac at a good speed and didnt push. (This one had the hellcat wheels and 6 pot brembos.

Pros/cons of keeping the stang vs the charger? Dollars isnt an issue just a practicality stand point. The SHO does nothing for me in the sedan market and itd be this or the SS.. the stang would be paid off in trade in

byeofcr

Established Member
I hear ya. The HC was in the cards but the amount id need to put down to keep payments in the ball park isnt available right now. Similiar w the cts v. I could wait and save but im the little black cloud type that always has something come up that takes my down payment money.. (Disney trip in 10 days, before that was kitchen appliances, before that was wifeys truck down payment...similar to why i cant mod the car lol.. which i guess would make the HC an even better choice but the catch being saving the payment up..)

Hows your bro like the scat pack?

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Look into the Chevy SS. Can get in Auto or manual.

Backseats are comfy. Nice exhaust note and it's power level is nice for a 4 door sedan in the same budget. The 20% off new ran out, but they might do another one later.
And down the road if you want to mod the SS, it has an LS3. So, plenty of options to make power.

Scat pack cars IIRC are the R/T trim but with the SRT engine. Some don't have the navigation already programmed, blind spot, and some interior options

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Charger kills the SS in the looks department. I'm not a fan of the SS's backside at all. If you want the manual keep the GT. In a year the kids will be able to buckle themselves in and all you'll have to do is lean in and check them.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You have a few performance sedan options to consider. I would test drive some or all of them and then decide which one YOU like. Never buy a car based on someone else's opinion. Input helps to guide, but YOU are going to be driving it. Also, if you narrow down your choices to maybe 2-3 vehicles, test drive them a second time for a better overall evaluation. You'd be surprised at what you miss in a "first drive", especially if it is a shorter one. Some dealerships offer a 24 hour test drive. Definitely look into that. Driving a car over a 24 hour period really helps you to get a good feel for its pros and cons.

AAG

Established Member
Came in her to recommend the Chevy SS as others have already stated. Great car especially at the discounted price you can get one at the moment. Also, with this being the last year, it's going to hold its value better than the Poop Pack Charger.

Zodiac

Established Member
I sold my 15 Mustang GT to get into a 17 Scat Pack Charger and don't regret it. The Chevy SS is nice, has some great features but is overpriced, with more bland styling. The 20% off ran out on the 14th I believe. Currently Dodge has 20% off on the Charger.

I heavily considered the SS but it doesn't draw me in like my G8 did. I prefer the looks of the G8 any day.

My Charger Scat Pack has memory seats, heated/vented leather/alcantara seats, heated steering wheel, etc. Definitely not a stripped down car. The only option that it can't get is the active suspension.

Does it handle as good as the 5.0? No. Also there is a small aftermarket for it. Side note.. stock exhaust is 100x better than the stock exhaust on the Mustang.

Also the 6.4 combined with the 8 speed auto is an intoxicating combination. It shifts great and fast as hell for a 2 ton sedan.

keystonemedical

Established Member
CTS V on this one. The 2009 and up Vs had somewhere inaround 550 at the crank. The 2016 and up was pushed up to somewhere around 650. I doubt a 392 puts out anywhere near the 550 mark. In the end, the V is just a better grade car. Probably will hold its value better if you dont go to old. I seriously considered a 2016 before I bought my 13 Cobra, but couldnt talk myself into a sedan and I think 2014 was the last year for the coupe.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
Would definitely go CTS V but Charger Scat Pack over the 5.0. Buddy has a black one and it's a sweet ride. Lots of room in back for kids, more than My V.

nxhappy

Established Member
ecoboost f150 screw. lots of room for the kids. you get to tow shit. and if the mod bug hits, you got plenty of options. it's plenty fast =)

o2gt

Established Member
I have been thinking about trading my 2013 5.0 in for a charger scat pack. I wish is was easer to modify them, but honestly its something i can get over. I would like a tune for it at some point. the ss seems like a very good car my issue is the exterior is a bit boring. I really want to like the SHO but i think it might be the wrong car for me, i think ford seems to neglected it over the years. Hoping to get a chance to drive the charger soon. I did drive one with the 5 speed a couple years ago and liked it so I would guess the new one should be that much better.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
The 2016 and up was pushed up to somewhere around 650. I doubt a 392 puts out anywhere near the 550 mark. In the end, the V is just a better grade car. Probably will hold its value better if you dont go to old. I seriously considered a 2016 before I bought my 13 Cobra, but couldnt talk myself into a sedan and I think 2014 was the last year for the coupe.
Why even mention the 2016 CTS-V? That car is double the price of cars the op is talking about and 20k more than a hellcat. lol

OP probably wants a new car anyways, full warranty. That throws the older cts-v out of the mix.

Zodiac

Established Member
The biggest negative for the 09+ CTS-V is they are cramped inside and the interior is lacking for the price of that car. Plus it will be used and possibly abused. The 16+ CTS-V is awesome, but again it's over $80k. You can lease a hellcat Charger if that's your thing for about $500/month $0 down.

keystonemedical

Established Member
Why even mention the 2016 CTS-V? That car is double the price of cars the op is talking about and 20k more than a hellcat. lol

OP probably wants a new car anyways, full warranty. That throws the older cts-v out of the mix.

Granted, the older stuff wont get a warranty unless of course he would purchase one. Anyway, The point I was trying to make for the guy is theres options out there in a sedan besides a Dodge and warranty or not, its twice the car.

Zodiac

Established Member
Granted, the older stuff wont get a warranty unless of course he would purchase one. Anyway, The point I was trying to make for the guy is theres options out there in a sedan besides a Dodge and warranty or not, its twice the car.

Ok I'll bite.. how is the 2nd gen CTS-V twice the car of a Scat Pack/SRT 392?

Users who are viewing this thread