Keeping fuel system clean when running E85

fuelforfire87

Established Member
For those of you running E85, do you occasionally run a tank of pump gas through to help keep your injectors and the rest of the fuel system clean? I know on my girlfriends focus that is flex fuel the owners manual recommends to run a tank of pump gas through every oil change if running E85 exclusively. I also run the lucas safeguard ethanol treatment with every fill up. Is there anything else recommended so I don't get excessive buildup?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I would think Ethanol keeps your fuel system cleaner than regular gas. I wonder if it says to run gas every oil change for another reason like lubrication for the stem seals or something.

Bioburner

Established Member
Booze is a excellent solvent. I would use a stabilizer to prevent it from breaking down to water as it wants to do so badly. Why the recommendation of running a tank of regular fuel once every 5k or so I have no idea.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. So would it be bad then if you were always running E85 and never gasoline? Reason I ask is because i will be storing my car for the winter but my tuner doesn't want to write me a tune for 93 pump gas, even a tune for normal driving, (not going WOT) because they claim its too risky with my procharger setup (D1SC with 4.5" pulley)

Whats weird is that they tuned my car on 93+octane booster with this same setup in the past and it worked fine, even at WOT. Maybe they had some customers blow their motors with similar setups and are just playing it safe, IDK. Anyways they basically told me to drain the tank and fill with pump gas for storage, and then drain the tank again when i bring it out of storage.

Seems like a big hassle and i loose the benefit of being able to run pump gas through the fuel system to keep things lubricated. May look into getting a tune from my local shop that has worked on my car in the past, Just for normal driving and storage so i can start the car once a month. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread