Kenne Bell SN95 owners opinions please.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I am at sea level and the dyno run was on a day that was about 70* as I recall. I have also relocated the IAT sensor to after the blower, so I can safely get a little more aggressive with spark because I know exactly how hot the IATs are. I have also done an IMRC delete, but I am pretty sure that has little to no effect at high RPMs. I'm running a Volant CAI (can't get those any more.)

I get heat soaked pretty quickly, especially on hot days, and the ACT table is pretty conservative, so I lose a lot of power as things heat up. I regularly see IATs up near 250* after a couple of WOT runs and I can feel it as the spark is retarded. Peak dyno numbers can be misleading. They are often under ideal conditions. I can shred my tires regularly in second in the winter here, but sometimes it's hard to break them loose in first on a hot summer day.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
cool man yeah 1-2 gear is useless for me but me running 12 psi i for sure thought i would pass 420 hp but i guess it was the hot day and many back to back pulls on the dyno to get my a/f right so on my final pull i made 372 i know it was heat soaked like crazy but congrats on making over 400 with 6 psi you have a freak

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
oh ok that is more like what i made at 6 psi back in north carolina in 2003 with the 6 psi i made 335 or so and that was around sea level i bet if i were to re dyno the 6 psi here where i live now at 5500 ft it would mabey make 300 high alt kills power lol:beer:

JET

Established Member
You can see in my sig what I made. I basically went from a stock car straight to adding the KB. As you can see it added basically 100 rwhp. I did add the 90 LMA but you may not need it. I got it used for $50 so it is not a big deal to purchase.

For the money and fun factor I highly recommend the KB.

96S/Cobra

Established Member
^ get one but i suggest finding a used 1.5 they whine louder:thumbsup:

The 1.5 on my car is very quiet, it hardly makes any noise at all.

And to the o.p....if all you are wanting is something to wake up your weekend warrior, and you're not too woried about racing and a super great e.t., then the KB is what you're after.

95PGTTech

Established Member
the 96-98 Cobra Kennebell kit is garbage. It's better to get C heads and get the 99-01 intercooled kit.

I agree. It's not in everyone's funds to swap to 03-04 heads, but PD blowers without intercoolers are a waste of time and methanol is like a bandaid on a broken leg.

When times get tight I keep thinking about picking up a 2.1L KB @ $3700, but then I think about how much HP I'm leaving on the table.

The best possible situation with a KB and a built motor and cams on my 98 is MAYBE 600whp if I'm using my current 100 shot nitrous as a cooler and it's going to be a ticking time bomb.

Or I could swap over to 03-04, some GT40 cams, a 2.3L whipple, and make 675 on pump gas. Throw the race gas and nitrous at it then and make enough power to destroy my unibody ten times over. :rockon:

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
I agree. It's not in everyone's funds to swap to 03-04 heads, but PD blowers without intercoolers are a waste of time and methanol is like a bandaid on a broken leg.

When times get tight I keep thinking about picking up a 2.1L KB @ $3700, but then I think about how much HP I'm leaving on the table.

The best possible situation with a KB and a built motor and cams on my 98 is MAYBE 600whp if I'm using my current 100 shot nitrous as a cooler and it's going to be a ticking time bomb.

Or I could swap over to 03-04, some GT40 cams, a 2.3L whipple, and make 675 on pump gas. Throw the race gas and nitrous at it then and make enough power to destroy my unibody ten times over. :rockon:
I understand where you are coming from I had an 03 before this so I understand but this is what I have now and I am unfortunately on a budget so 3700 for a complete kit sounds good as far as numbers go I'm not looking for E.T.'s or big dyno #'s to post about or the final number generated by a centri. I am of the opinion that there is only so much HP that is usable on the street between stoplights for instance. A guy with a healthy 400 MAY get the drop on the guy with 600 in a short distance if the 600 guy can't plant the power on the street. Some big power guys over power the track at the drags where as guys who have dialed it back run better if I'm not mistaken. I appreciate your opinion and understand where you are coming from and why but I think we may have different goals. Thanks for your info anyways.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
the 96-98 Cobra Kennebell kit is garbage. It's better to get C heads and get the 99-01 intercooled kit.

That's not a bad idea does anyone know what a set of C heads costs and what kind of costs and other parts would be involved in such a swap as I assume the blower is about the same just intercooled so the price should be close I'm guessing.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
^ yup its not a bad idea getting either the 03-04 heads and 01 heads but the 96-98 kit is more than enough for street strip like i said the suspension is what really matters and allows you to get all that power down. it is so fun from stop light to stop light:beer:

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
I have H&R Race springs with Bilstein HD's and am wanting the 03 front A arms and some MM rear lowers when budget allows it hooks fine now especially with the 10" Saleens (Replicas) not really worried about the track like I said in my original post probably only go enough to say I did it. I don't want to make pass after pass on a non intercooled blower. I realize I can go with the whole meth thing but like I said budget constraints are a bioch lol I'm sure I'm not the only one staring down the barrel of a loaded wife lol.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Anyone know what benefit if any there was for KB to go to the 2.1 over the 1.5 or 1.7 I assume it's a cooler air charge due to the greater volume or something like that I assume it's not putting down that much more power some of you put out great #'s.

Users who are viewing this thread