KYB AGX Shock&Strut best settings for handling?

DarkRattle

Established Member
What do you guys think is the best setting for handling? I'm pairing these up with H&R Race Springs for my 99 Convertible Cobra (IK it's not recommended for the conv but aye, I hate body roll), I don't care about comfort. Just max all around?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Stiff doesn't always mean good handling. You need some compliance in the suspension to soak up bumps. You're never going to fully eliminate body roll. Even race cars have it to a degree. Just the nature of physics. You can try stiffer sway bars to see if it helps.

As far as the settings, I think setting them in the box and sending them back is a good start. Then getting something decent like Bilsteing, Koni, or Tokico. We just picked up a 98 GT with the AGX/Eibach combo and the ride sucks.

Beyond that you have to play with the adjustments and see what you like. I think the front struts only have 4 settings. Not much to mess with.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

DarkRattle

Established Member
Stiff doesn't always mean good handling. You need some compliance in the suspension to soak up bumps. You're never going to fully eliminate body roll. Even race cars have it to a degree. Just the nature of physics. You can try stiffer sway bars to see if it helps.

As far as the settings, I think setting them in the box and sending them back is a good start. Then getting something decent like Bilsteing, Koni, or Tokico. We just picked up a 98 GT with the AGX/Eibach combo and the ride sucks.

Beyond that you have to play with the adjustments and see what you like. I think the front struts only have 4 settings. Not much to mess with.

I'm talking better body roll as in better than stock suspension where it's quite literally a "boat". Really that bad? By ride do you mean comfort or handling? Why are they so god damn expensive then....

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
For me it's comfort. It's pretty bouncy. I'm sure part of it is the Eibachs. I'm not impressed with their springs. I know the front struts are set to full firm. But it seems the rear that has the issue. It's my son's car though. And I'm comparing it to an IRS car on full coilovers.

If you're at stock height then going to a decent set of springs and shocks/struts will make a world of difference.

DarkRattle

Established Member
For me it's comfort. It's pretty bouncy. I'm sure part of it is the Eibachs. I'm not impressed with their springs. I know the front struts are set to full firm. But it seems the rear that has the issue. It's my son's car though. And I'm comparing it to an IRS car on full coilovers.

If you're at stock height then going to a decent set of springs and shocks/struts will make a world of difference.

I'm pretty sure that might have the majority of it be the Eibachs, my friends car has Eibachs and it feels as bouncy as my stock suspension, but yeah belsteins should be stiffer than the AGX's. Max settings is supposed to be 123% stiffer than stock I believe, not 100% on that.

shurur

Established Member
IMO H&R go well with Koni sports or Bilstein B8 sports. I have the B8 sports for the back and Koni sports for the front.

The Billy B8 rear shocks can be used for MM CO, and the Koni Struts Don't require any modification (like the Bilsteins do) to convert to MM CO...so I mixed and matched to give myself the easiest CO options in the future.

Glad to see you got the H&R Race vice the Sports..

If $ is the issue..just get the rear shocks and wait for the front struts to fail before you replace them..but buy the good shit as you go

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread