Laser Jammers Penalty in having 4

mr 347

Established Member
I was wondering what the police can do if you have 4 transponders? I know 3 is a ticket, but 4+ is a mis. Can they tow you on the spot or is it just a heavier ticket? Im in CA, I have the K40. Thank you

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
California Vehicle Code 28150

(a) No vehicle shall be equipped with any device that is designed for, or is capable of, jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.

(b) No person shall use, buy, possess, manufacture, sell, or otherwise distribute any device that is designed for jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.

(c) Except as provided in subdivision (d), a violation of subdivision (a) or (b) is an infraction.

(d) When a person possesses four or more devices in violation of subdivision (b), the person is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(e) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a person who has a valid federal license for operating the devices described in this section may transport one or more of those devices if the license is carried in the vehicle transporting the device at all times when the device is being transported.

A misdemeanor for a violation of 28150 VC carries a heavier fine. The fine amount will be based on the county the violation was committed in as each county has a different bail schedule. If you do not meet the requirements of sub section (e), you are in violation. Though there is no way to tell if you have 4 or more devices without a consent search OR your admission of possessing said devices.

A low level misdemeanor like this *could* mean just a ticket, or possible incarceration. Misdemeanors such as driving on a suspended license (14601.1), unlicensed (12500(a)), simple possession (11350 H&S) of drugs are generally cite and release. It is at the officers discretion to book into the county jail.

You smell what I'm steppin' in?

Personally, I've yet to run into anyone with a radar/laser jammer in my 8 years of LE. We are still required to make a *visual* estimation on your speed and use radar/lidar to confirm your speed. If it looks like you're going faster than the rest of the traffic around you, you're begging to get stopped.

Make good decisions.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I find radar/laser detectors and jammers to be a waste of money. Just go with the flow of traffic, and you will probably be fine.

If there are no other cars around you just gotta drive the speed limit as the police have all the time in the world to focus on you and having that equipment won't change how fast you can drive before getting pulled over. Especially since police officers are trained to be able to estimate your speed visually.

Is it really worth the potential extra fines/penalties to have a jammer?

nxhappy

Established Member
I find radar/laser detectors and jammers to be a waste of money. Just go with the flow of traffic, and you will probably be fine.

If there are no other cars around you just gotta drive the speed limit as the police have all the time in the world to focus on you and having that equipment won't change how fast you can drive before getting pulled over. Especially since police officers are trained to be able to estimate your speed visually.

Is it really worth the potential extra fines/penalties to have a jammer?
I disagree lol. IMO a detector is very valuable.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I disagree lol. IMO a detector is very valuable.
A detector, maybe. But detectors aren't illegal. Jammers are, and thats what was being discussed.

Edit: I did say a detector was a waste, but thats because they only work while the radar/laser detector is on. With instant on, its hard to avoid.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
If you guys would like to discuss which detector is best, then take it to Roadside please.

Users who are viewing this thread