Latest Drivetrain and Horsepower Speculation?

conceptmachine

Established Member
The thing about modding, I realize some guys love it, I do too, but I have zero time to do it. Also, when trading the bitch in, your better off putting back to stock because you get zero back for the mods, in fact they give you less.

I'm liking, more and more, factory beasts. I'm not gonna do a darn thing to this GT500, maybe catch cans...thats it.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
The thing about modding, I realize some guys love it, I do too, but I have zero time to do it. Also, when trading the bitch in, your better off putting back to stock because you get zero back for the mods, in fact they give you less.

I'm liking, more and more, factory beasts. I'm not gonna do a darn thing to this GT500, maybe catch cans...thats it.
I totally agree with you. I don't have time for putting cats back on every year to pass inspection.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It's going to be absolute bullshit if this car comes out at over $60k and it can't run down a Koenigsegg One:1 or at least hang with the P1 GTR on a road course.

Clemson

Established Member

Preach. When I was single I freaking lived for it. Built a mod motor from the ground up. Now Im married and have kids and just dont have the time to do it. My Corsa's sat in the box for months before I got a round to it, my mgw is STILL in the box a year later.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
Preach. When I was single I freaking lived for it. Built a mod motor from the ground up. Now Im married and have kids and just dont have the time to do it. My Corsa's sat in the box for months before I got a round to it, my mgw is STILL in the box a year later.

So true. I’ve had a killer chiller sitting on the bench for my Hellcat since last November....

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SlowSVT

Established Member

Modding becomes less and less of an attractive option with each model year due to the fact the cars coming off the assembly line are much better with less room for improvement plus the fact with their level of sophistication it's probably not advisable to screw with the car.

That a good thing if you too busy to mod but for the guy who likes to tinker would get bored with having a car which is basically a "turn key" affair. The GT350 section on this site is pretty much limited appearance mods or discussing serial numbers.

If you like to mod get a Fox or SN95. If you don't like or have time to mod get a new Mustang

Voltwings

Established Member
I'd love to see a small displacement, rev happy TT v8. The only way to make that viable though is to amortize that engine across the F-150 line as well. That would essentially have to replace the coyote 5.0 in the truck lineup, because two v8s and 3 v6s with turbo and NA options is just too much...

If we got a small displacement TT V8 it would pretty much replace the 3.5 EB as the top dog and could go in the trucks, the new raptor and the GT500 which may be enough to cover the costs of such a thing... obviously not the GT500 and raptor market exclusively, but rather as a top-tier F-150 engine.

In the GT500 trim i could honestly give a shit how much HP it makes, we're to the point where the HP is just stupid anyways. The Hellcat comes with 707 hp from the factory and a 275mm street tire? All that means is the guy who wrote the TC software earned his paycheck. The high hp only matters for bench racing and magazine numbers, just give me a proper car with a proper chassis, a realistic amount of HP I can actually use with a decent tire and put it in a good package.
I'd hardly call the car a failure if it dropped with like 600-650 hp because with the 10 speed it will still probably slay damn near everything if they can keep the weight down.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm going to agree with others about the new GT500 having to go back to the "drawing board."
I bet the new ZL1-1LE, the Dodge Demon and the new ZR1 put a damper on Ford's GT500 at the time and now it's time to "redo". Why else would there such a long, long wait?!?! Seems weird to me.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I'm going to agree with others about the new GT500 having to go back to the "drawing board."
I bet the new ZL1-1LE, the Dodge Demon and the new ZR1 put a damper on Ford's GT500 at the time and now it's time to "redo". Why else would there such a long, long wait?!?! Seems weird to me.
I don't think that's the case. Ford could have literally just added power to the GT350R and had the ZL1 1LE covered. I think they're just holding off until the next chassis is ready. Don't forget GM's Alpha chassis is sadly on the way out. (I'm gonna miss the ATS and CTS.) That means the Camaro will probably be getting a major update.

Sent from my STV100-1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't think that's the case. Ford could have literally just added power to the GT350R and had the ZL1 1LE covered. I think they're just holding off until the next chassis is ready. Don't forget GM's Alpha chassis is sadly on the way out. (I'm gonna miss the ATS and CTS.) That means the Camaro will probably be getting a major update.
So when does Mustang's new chassis come out, in 2019 and later? I don't think that Ford would wait that long? Maybe, but I doubt it after seeing all the other machines that are coming out from other manufacturers.

jazz05

Established Member
Personally i think its dead and buried, new ceo is about as far from a car guy as you will find, the last thing this guy will support is a dinasaur, Performance car program, this guy sees the way forward as blinky lights and never ending leases, thats his Mission statement, not the guy that goes to watch prototypes doing lap ttimes

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Personally i think its dead and buried, new ceo is about as far from a car guy as you will find, the last thing this guy will support is a dinasaur, Performance car program, this guy sees the way forward as blinky lights and never ending leases, thats his Mission statement, not the guy that goes to watch prototypes doing lap ttimes

If he doesn't recognize that halo/performance cars can, and often do, drive brand image, then he needs to be ousted posthaste. I don't think the Board of Directors will allow him to cut performance, though. Ford has already been through a debacle like that back in the early '90s. Not to mention, they wouldn't conglomerate all the performance divisions into one huge FPV program just to turn around and shut it down two years later. Hybridization my be the way forward, but that doesn't mean the death of performance Fords. Who knows? In another 8 years from now, we could see an FPV gas-electric Fusion that could make today's GT-R look foolish in a highway sprint.

jazz05

Established Member
I agree, but given the way he was handed control i believe he feels his mandate was to completely change direction, hope Im wrong

conceptmachine

Established Member
This thing has got to be so far forward that it would be a huge loss to cut it now.
I'm all but certain we'll see it early January 18

Sirhc7897

Established Member
This thing has got to be so far forward that it would be a huge loss to cut it now.
I'm all but certain we'll see it early January 18

It's not like there isn't a precedent for them getting very far along on one and then cutting the chord...

-They did it with the Gen 3 Lightning
-They did it with the SVT Adrenaline

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It's not like there isn't a precedent for them getting very far along on one and then cutting the chord...

-They did it with the Gen 3 Lightning
-They did it with the SVT Adrenaline

The GT500 has a history of selling well. Another Lightning or the Adrenaline (especially when the market was turning) could have been an enormous loss.

It's my understanding that they have already sent out checks for tooling on this car. They will want to get back their investment, which they will.

Users who are viewing this thread