Latest Drivetrain and Horsepower Speculation?

conceptmachine

Established Member
4000 a year sounds about right of the '19 and '20, which is said to start in the $80's.
If nobody wants to believe that a'21 hybrid is coming, no sweat, you'll find out in due time. Yes, it will be pricey, but they will also only run 1 year with very limited production.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
They also have various combinations of carbon fiber and other exotic materials, have exotic hybrid power trains, have unreal power to weight ratios and cost an absolute fortune as they are built with no compromises...

Not even remotely comparable to demon’s, Hellcat’s, ZL1’s and future GT500’s that are built with everything they can squeeze in while still being “affordable” (relatively speaking).

Carbon fiber, hybrid electric power trains, etc. aren’t happening on a car that needs to at least be somewhat comparably priced with cars that cost $65k-$75k...IMO.

World beating or not, you roll out a $100k mustang (or probably even a $80k one) you’re going to struggle to sell them at any more than a few thousand a year.

This isn’t like back when the GT500’s came out with basically no competition and could dictate the market.

Especially with it looking like it’s going to be just another supercharged V8 backed by an auto.

That argument holds no water these days. Just two years ago, we'd be saying the Demon could never exist and still be priced where relative plebes could afford it. Yet, here we are, and there it is. Heck, just 5 years ago, we'd be saying the GT350R is an impossibility! Yet again, here we are, and there it is.

Automobile tech and manufacturing have advanced to the point where a very high performance car doesn't need to be constructed of unobtainium and be only available to millionaires. Ford is investing heavily in affordable carbon fiber parts as well as aluminum, and affordable hybrid drivetrains are not new to them. Not that a high end Mustang would have or need hybridization to be an insane performer. You can pretty much take it to the bank that the next GT500 will have lots of meaningful carbon fiber and aluminum parts as standard and/or available in performance packages.

The Shelby legacy affords the cars the privilege of not having to conform to what the cross-town rivals are priced at. If you don't think a $100K MSRP, supercar-killing GT500 would sell, you're mistaken. Look at the sale prices that the GT350 commanded and the GT350R still commands. They aren't built or sold for the masses. I doubt it'll cost that much, but I won't be one bit surprised if it comes in at or near $80K base. 911 GT2 RS-type performance for "just" $80K? Yes, please!

DepWraith

Established Member
The next GT500 originally had an abundance of carbon fiber, but due to pushback from dealer meetings on the suggested MSRP (83-85K), don't look for a lot of it when it hits production as they want MSRP to be in the 72K area.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
The next GT500 originally had an abundance of carbon fiber, but due to pushback from dealer meetings on the suggested MSRP (83-85K), don't look for a lot of it when it hits production as they want MSRP to be in the 72K area.
And once the dealerships get a hold of them,........they'll be about 100K. Not all, but most will be.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
No chance as far as Demon drag strip performance in my opinion. 9.60@140 showroom STOCK is serious.
I agree with you 100% J. The Demon is beast.
But, there was a magazine or two that tried to duplicate those times and couldn't get out of the 10's for the quarter mile. Maybe it was mostly because of "driver error". lol

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I didn’t think there were 10 components on a car that needed cooling.

Certain components or systems may use more than one heat exchanger, much like the Camaro ZL1/1LE.

Gotta have more than the new ZL1, right?!?
lol

Initially I think yes. But I suspect Ford may consolidate and get away with less than what GM is using. Either way, if this thing huffs to the level of power we keep hearing regurgitated, the car is going to be a giant heat pump in need of a cooldown lest it tread into heat soak/limp mode territory. I think Ford is very wary of that post Tech Pack debacle...

conceptmachine

Established Member
I think Ford is very wary of that post Tech Pack debacle...

That’s the truth. Ford will be on top of this for sure.
I’m gonna say fewer and larger, hopefully placed in locations that can’t get easily damaged.
I’ll guess 8.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

El
Oh
El

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with you 100% J. The Demon is beast.
But, there was a magazine or two that tried to duplicate those times and couldn't get out of the 10's for the quarter mile. Maybe it was mostly because of "driver error". lol
I agree as very few will match Dodges run due to the perfect conditions of mineshaft -DA and killer track prep.
Still looking forward to guys giving it hell!
-J

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
Thanks for the video time pointer. He mentioned a battery motor rear drive mustang and also a 5 liter mustang with a battery motor.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread