LED Tail, Brake & Signal Comparison Video

spdfrkaby

Established Member
Hey all, I've learned/researched a lot off this forum so I figured it best to start paying it forward.

Below is a quick video comparing two different branded 3157 LED bulbs in the rear and one brand for the front. I wanted to do some night comparisons but ran out time to get it done.

REAR LIGHT COMPARISON
1st - Philips Vision 3157 Red LED vs Regular Halogen 3157 Clear
2nd - JDM AStar 3157 Red LED vs Regular Halogen 3157 Clear
3rd - JDM AStar 3157 Red LED vs Philips Vision 3157 Red LED

***For the fronts the JDM AStars were a lot brighter than the halogen and Philips Vision. There is also a distinct difference between the running light and brake light. At night the running light is just about as bright as the halogens with the brake light on. I read some had issues with the AStars not staying in the bulb socket but I had no issues. The longevity of these are still up in the air as I've only had them in for a couple weeks.

FRONT LIGHT COMPARISON
Regular Halogen 3157 Orange vs Sylvania ZEVO 3157 Orange LED

***The ZEVOs were too dim for my liking so I ended up installing the same JDM AStars that were in the rear except for obviously using the amber led. The AStar 3157 Orange are not as bright as the reds in the rear but very usable and brighter than the halogens.

I didn't want to install resistors so I used the LED flasher shown below and didn't have any issues. Well one thing that it does do is when I engage the signal and then disengage it I can hear the flash relay click one or two more times after it is disengaged. I checked the LED signals and they do not flash for those last one or two clicks, it is just the relay that makes the noise.

RzcTeBS9grJ4dimxpH_ibut-0JzXlAObsfio1aXQH2jYZgwjgp52fz5WbdvnEgfRleO1kcDCQJorZACJT0=w1280-h720-no.jpg

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Great video, been considering installing the Phillips for my tails. I use them in my Forester XT and absolutely love them for the added visibility. Im really suprised how bright those JDM Astars were, always thought of them as a junk brand but I have never used any of their products. Care to do a night time or low light comparison, its just crazy how dim the LEDs make the halogens seem.

Last edited:

spdfrkaby

Established Member
Great video, been considering installing the Phillips for my tails. I use them in my Forester XT and absolutely love them for the added visibility. Im really suprised how bright those JDM Astars were, always thought of them as a junk brand but I have never used any of their products. Care to do a night time or low light comparison, its just crazy how dim the LEDs make the halogens seem.

I already packed up the Philips bulbs to sell them and tossed the halogens...plus I will be out of town for a bit. I still have the Philips if you want them. Only used three of the six I have and they were only used for what you saw in the video. Paid $60 but will sell them for $45 shipped.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I've done the full LED switch too. I used the Phillips bulbs and like them a lot. Didn't know about the JDM AStars at the time I did it.

I used that same relay and get the extra click or two after cancellation as well. It bothered me a little initially - but don't mind it at all now.

@03SonicBlue There is only one Flasher in the car. If you switch to LED, even if just the back, then you need to change it out. I actually have LED switchbacks in the front of my car (LED all around) and it still works fine. You are just trying to avoid it going into hyperflash.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I just installed that same relay and get the extra clicks as well, will report back when I get the LEDs in.

You need 6 bulbs for the rear by the way.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Finally got the leds in, much brighter!!! Not sure why I waited so long to do this, its insane how dim the regular bulbs are in comparison.

04torchred

Established Member
Curiosity questions, anyone running the JDM Astars and finding them far too bright at night?

I am on the fence as to whether the Philips are too little of an improvement over stock for brightness. I keep reading reviews where people mention they aren't much better than halogens for output.

Diode dynamics makes a middle of the ground bulb but they are $180 so literally twice the price of Philips or JDM Astar bulbs so kind of hard to justify the expense.

I would like a bit more output then the halogen stock bulbs without being overly bright at night and hard on other drivers eyes.

spdfrkaby

Established Member
Curiosity questions, anyone running the JDM Astars and finding them far too bright at night?

I am on the fence as to whether the Philips are too little of an improvement over stock for brightness. I keep reading reviews where people mention they aren't much better than halogens for output.

Diode dynamics makes a middle of the ground bulb but they are $180 so literally twice the price of Philips or JDM Astar bulbs so kind of hard to justify the expense.

I would like a bit more output then the halogen stock bulbs without being overly bright at night and hard on other drivers eyes.

Apologize for the late reply. Haven't been on in a while. The JDM AStars are a tad bright at night but I don't think they are overly bright. The front factory LED turn signals on my '13 Ram are just as bright. I kept the Philips in the front just so everything would be LED. The Philips are equivalent if not a little dimmer than halogens. There is no way I would use the Philips though in the rear as the lighting difference between running and indicator are negligible.

Users who are viewing this thread